October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Gloomhaven for two - how many characters to run?

More
24 Jan 2018 09:58 #261940 by stormseeker75
I got my copy of Gloomhaven yesterday. It's just going to be my wife and I 99.9% of the time. How many characters should we play? Just two? Or maybe two each?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2018 10:07 #261942 by charlest
I would just do one each. If you get a strong feel for the system and want some more synergy, you could both play a second character, but you'd be fine adding them mid-way through the campaign (characters cycling in and out is a big part of it).

It scales pretty well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wkover

More
25 Jan 2018 07:34 #262113 by stormseeker75
Thanks, man! We don't particularly like handling multiple characters each so it's good to know it can be played with just one character each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
25 Jan 2018 09:21 - 25 Jan 2018 09:22 #262121 by wkover

stormseeker75 wrote: Thanks, man! We don't particularly like handling multiple characters each so it's good to know it can be played with just one character each.

We're deep into a 2p campaign (on our 3rd set of characters), and we've only run one character each. It works great. Mostly.

Stuff to know:

Some characters work really well together. E.g., two element-based characters can generate elements for each other, which is amazingly helpful.

I recommend that you play a level down for a while (monsters at level 0) until you level up. The game isn't easy.

Also, be aware that certain scenarios may be difficult with 2p, only because certain monsters are challenging without certain characters or character powers. E.g., monsters with high Shield values can be nearly impossible to kill for certain classes, until they get insta-kill powers (or something similar). But you can play scenarios in any order, really, so it doesn't really matter. You can come back to "impossible for you" scenarios much later, or with totally different characters.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2018 09:22 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stormseeker75, Frohike

More
25 Jan 2018 09:39 #262122 by stormseeker75
I had no idea it was so open like that. Sounds cool. I was expecting my wife to balk at this a bit. Then she opened the box. She's prepared to love this even if it sucks.

Would you guys recommend the reusable stickers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Frohike

More
25 Jan 2018 09:55 - 25 Jan 2018 10:04 #262123 by wkover

stormseeker75 wrote: Would you guys recommend the reusable stickers?

Mostly, the stickers are used to show you which scenarios/locations have opened up. Though they're also used to track prosperity and achievements. You could always do that on paper the 2nd time through. I don't regret using the permanent stickers at all. (Stickers are also applied to the character action cards, but they would be easy to ignore the second time through as well. Plus we rarely upgrade cards anyway, which is possibly one reason why we suck.)

How many people are playing this thing twice anyway? There's just a ton of content. When my grandkids inherit Gloomhaven I'll let them worry about the stickers.

Other advice I forgot:

Some characters are meant to play a support role. You might avoid those initially, as each character needs to pull their weight in a 2p game. If you're not dealing damage or at least incapacitating monsters (stunning, immobilizing), you're part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

To emphasize, the game isn't easy. Our current win/loss record is 22-15. (And wow, we've played 37 games so far.) Unless you're good, which we aren't.

This "easily missed rules" thread was extremely helpful:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1727703/easy-miss-rules
Last edit: 25 Jan 2018 10:04 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, stormseeker75, Frohike, cdennett

More
29 Jan 2018 08:11 #262422 by stormseeker75
One more question: Let's say my wife and I play this primarily with two, but a friend comes over and wants to play. Can people jump in and out or will we have to keep their character alive when they're not there?

More
29 Jan 2018 08:59 #262424 by charlest
You can jump in and out no problem. If levels are vastly different then difficulty can be slightly weird, but it mostly works (the difficulty of the monsters is based on an average of the entire group).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stormseeker75, Frohike

More
29 Jan 2018 13:56 #262455 by stormseeker75
This sounds fabulous. I really can't wait to play.

More
08 Feb 2018 15:35 #263231 by Hex Sinister
We just started playing last night and wow... haven't been so excited for a game in a long time. Really loving it so far but I have a couple quest-ions.

1. How many of you survived the first scenario? I don't think we're going to make it.

2. You can just replay the scenario if you fail? Is this something we should do?

3. Supermassive headache and I forgot the rest of my questions. Back later =(

More
08 Feb 2018 15:40 #263232 by charlest
You can just replay the scenario, yes. The only cost is your time. If that's a big pain, I'd just fudge things and say you won.

The first scenario is difficult, mostly because the game is very different and you will have a low skill level going in. Once you understand your characters and the timing of things a bit better, the game will actually get much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2018 14:13 #263276 by Hex Sinister
Thanks, Charlie. We did way better on the 2nd run.

More
17 Mar 2018 17:47 #265912 by Hex Sinister
So my gf's character retired early and she unlocked the
Warning: Spoiler!
. Unfortunately, it's not going that great. It may be that the character requires a little too much finesse to play or maybe just doesn't team up well my Spellweaver. Perhaps it just doesn't match her play style. Anyway, I think it might be a good idea to swap out to someone else but I don't want to look through the boxes. What is a more straightforward class to play that would go well with my Spellweaver? Her retired class was
Warning: Spoiler!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds