October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Scythe - Let's talk

More
25 Jun 2018 17:52 #276184 by boothwah
Scythe - Let's talk was created by boothwah
Tried to find a thread to see if someone else had done some grokking on this - the only thread I could find in the TT search is Barnes grab bag review thread, so I thought I'd start one.

I'd like to get the some opinions/takes from some people that dig the game, because I'm just not......and I have a friend who now owns this as kind of the crown jewel in his library - He loves it. I've given him 4 or 5 plays. And I will every time I see him because he plays Imperial Settlers and Roll for the Galaxy because he knows I love them.

I know this is all the hotness over at BGG, but every game I'm waiting for the fun to start. It never really does. It takes too long to get going - and it actually felt worse on the replays, because instead of some hidden depth opening up, it's still pretty much everyone not really caring what anyone else was doing on their turn unless it caused them to get an extra heart or star from their promotion or whatever. I mean there is supposed to be some interaction with combat, but it takes to long for those interactions to even be available and very rarely were they more beneficial than just putting more cubes in holes somewhere else on your board. I think fundamentally my beef with it is, I want to play something besides Agricola with that board and those mechs. I think the play time is just to long for a game that looks like an awesome area control game but is just point salad with cool figs.

I love Roll for the Galaxy and that is essentially a group of us playing solitaire with the minimal interaction of selecting roles...but the games go down in 30-45 minutes.....and we are rolling dice which is always fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2018 16:51 #276274 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Scythe - Let's talk
I like it - sometimes I'm in the mood for point salad. 'False pretenses' might be too strong a phrase, but I don't think it's really a 4X game. Combat is actively discouraged, there's no exploration because you can see the map, etc. But I do like the 'Pair up X and Y and see what you get' assignment of powers.

Sorry I don't have more - I haven't played it in a while. I might have to get it back out and see if I can get a game going. Maybe with physical threats I can get my wife to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
26 Jun 2018 17:11 - 26 Jun 2018 19:06 #276277 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Scythe - Let's talk
With this new breed of "hybrid not hybrid" it seems to be sufficient for the audience that normally plays these to perceive enough atmosphere and enough of the accoutrements of Ameritrashier genres (I'll go ahead and use that word; I don't think the cold war is entirely over) to inject a sense of theme that they'll find refreshing. The audience for these games doesn't typically inhabit theme so much as the crossroads between the designed victory point engine and the mnemonic analogs that allow them to retain this engine's ruleset & decision space. For "hybrid not hybrid" players, this is pleasant background radiation that charges their tableaux and resource maps with a little something extra. It creates a weird, almost unpleasant cocktail, though, for players who are more deeply accustomed to the genres being emulated.

Edit: I'm not sure what else to call these. They're not really hybrids in the vein of the Matagot trinity that bake conflict more deeply in their mechanisms, but are more squarely in the mid-weight Euro VP engine genre. It makes me think of the fake apology "sorry not sorry," so "hybrid not hybrid" seems fitting.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2018 19:06 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, bendgar, Shellhead, RobertB, boothwah, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds