October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

New Edition of Condottiere

More
08 Nov 2018 13:30 #285647 by Mr. White
I figure it's worth mentioning a new edition of easily my most played game ever....Condottiere.

Looks like it may be old news, but I was unaware until I saw it on the shelf at lunch.

I like the new map. Not sure I'm sold on the cards. They aren't as clear cut as the color coded FFG edition.
I gotta say I also don't think I like the card art as much either.

www.zmangames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/announcing-condottiere/

FFG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2018 14:11 #285656 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic New Edition of Condottiere
Such a wonderful game. I'm picking this one up.

More
08 Nov 2018 15:40 #285672 by Erik Twice
I was never quite happy with the game, but I'm glad it's kept in print. The new edition looks nice and given how every copy of the Edge (FFG) edition I've owned had a warpy board, I think this will help people out.

More
08 Nov 2018 15:46 #285674 by Mr. White

Erik Twice wrote: I was never quite happy with the game, but I'm glad it's kept in print. The new edition looks nice and given how every copy of the Edge (FFG) edition I've owned had a warpy board, I think this will help people out.

Why do you call the FFG edition 'Edge'?

More
08 Nov 2018 16:01 #285680 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic New Edition of Condottiere
I'm glad that this is back in print. I bought this one five years ago because Mr. White constantly argued for its merits. And, he was right--he converted me. It's almost a perfect game. It's easy to teach, short to play, and it provides interesting decisions. It combines strategy, bluffing, area control, and all with the right amount of chaos mixed in with its monkey-wrenching rule breaking cards which cause every player to change their strategies. The only weakness that I can see is that it isn't good with two-players. Does anyone know of a two-player variant? I see that this new edition will include it. The only thing that I don't like about the new edition is the map's muted colors which, to me, make it hard to tell the difference between the regions of Italia. The new card artwork looks cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
09 Nov 2018 04:12 #285732 by Erik Twice

Mr. White wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: I was never quite happy with the game, but I'm glad it's kept in print. The new edition looks nice and given how every copy of the Edge (FFG) edition I've owned had a warpy board, I think this will help people out.

Why do you call the FFG edition 'Edge'?

Edge is the Spanish distribuitor. Hence, design-wise it's the FFG edition but FFG didn't print it. So the warping board issue might be exclusive to it.

More
09 Nov 2018 09:36 #285764 by SuperflyPete
I’ve always passed over it. I never even realized it was worth exploring. Most of the FFG Silver Line is so bad I just assumed it was Tanga Trash.

More
09 Nov 2018 10:00 - 09 Nov 2018 10:07 #285770 by Mr. White

SuperflyTNT wrote: I’ve always passed over it. I never even realized it was worth exploring. Most of the FFG Silver Line is so bad I just assumed it was Tanga Trash.

Condo is anything but Tanga Trash. I think this will be the 3rd, maybe 4th, company publishing it, so it's clearly a game with legs and demand. It's a little bit poker, a little bit negotiation, a little bit area control, all with a neat, historical setting. For my dollar, it's easily the best value in gaming. I've been playing this game for over 10 years, and have _yet_ to use any of the variants.

I think Game of Thrones, The Witcher, or some non-sense have basically ripped it off as well.

Even though I'm partial to my tattered FFG edition, and love the medieval art on the Euro Games version, I'll probably pick this up as well.

Last edit: 09 Nov 2018 10:07 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 Nov 2018 10:44 #285779 by SuperflyPete
My door is always open to THEREWILLBEs (the artists formerly known as FATties) and so if anyone wants to roll by and play it with me, I’m good with that :)

File Attachment:
via Imgflip Meme Generator

More
09 Nov 2018 11:13 #285782 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic New Edition of Condottiere
What rules do they use, the good original rules or the crappy rules changes they made at FFG?

More
09 Nov 2018 11:13 #285783 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic New Edition of Condottiere
Haven't played this despite being aware of it for years. Every once in a while I hear it talked about in hushed, reverent tones, yet I've never seen any of those people actually bring it to the table. Wonder why.

More
09 Nov 2018 11:21 - 09 Nov 2018 11:32 #285786 by Mr. White
Maybe it's not the type of game you'd organize a game night around? I know I usually don't play it on game nights.
I play it during lunch at work, at the pub, waiting for everyone to arrive before heading out to a movie or show, etc.

It's got a small foot print on a table, doesn't take up much space and can fit in the glove box.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2018 11:32 by Mr. White.

More
09 Nov 2018 11:29 #285788 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic New Edition of Condottiere
It seems like exactly the kind of game that would come out at a regular game night, is the thing.

Looks like the new edition is in a larger box but contains multiple rulesets. Probably worth it, $30 MSRP isn't bad.

More
09 Nov 2018 11:38 #285789 by Mr. White
I dunno then. Maybe because the most recent edition (FFG) is over 10yrs old and the trend seems to be in playing new acquisitions?

More
09 Nov 2018 11:49 #285790 by Mr. White

stoic wrote: I'm glad that this is back in print. I bought this one five years ago because Mr. White constantly argued for its merits. And, he was right--he converted me. It's almost a perfect game. It's easy to teach, short to play, and it provides interesting decisions. It combines strategy, bluffing, area control, and all with the right amount of chaos mixed in with its monkey-wrenching rule breaking cards which cause every player to change their strategies. The only weakness that I can see is that it isn't good with two-players. Does anyone know of a two-player variant? I see that this new edition will include it. The only thing that I don't like about the new edition is the map's muted colors which, to me, make it hard to tell the difference between the regions of Italia. The new card artwork looks cool.

Sounds like the new edition has a 2-player variant:

In addition to the all-new art and graphics overhaul, this version of the game boasts some exciting new features:

A larger board, for all those fans who spent years huddled over a tiny board.
The modern ruleset, sticking to the formula that made the game so successful for the last decade.
The classic ruleset, granting fans of the original game their wish of a portable version with their preferred ruleset—we heard you!
A clever 2-player variant, for those times when you are only +1, but still need your Condottiere fix.
Reminder icons on special cards, to summarize their effects and make the game more accessible for new players.

The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds