October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

What is your favourite eurogame?

More
15 Mar 2021 14:02 #320594 by raviawana59
I've recently been playing a lot more bigger eurogames. For the sake of consistency, I'm going to define "bigger eurogame" as one which lasts at least an hour and a half. These are my thoughts (and ranking) so far:

Agricola - first played in 2012, my absolute all-time favourite game. I love the pressure it puts on you, and the way that the cards you are dealt shape your strategy for the game. The last time I played I got forced into a vegetable-based strategy which I'd never tried before, and it was great.

Terra Mystica - First played this year. This game is AMAZING. I love how building gets you more resources - you really need to snowball to a great victory, while also watching positions on the map to see what your opponents are planning. The components are great and I love the mana bowl system, although the priest track did seem a little bit tacked on (although I can definitely see how it's needed in case you get screwed on the main board).

Caverna - First played in 2014. I like the stacking element of this game - the components are really nice. However it lacks the pressure of Agricola, and your strategy changes have to be purposeful so there is a tendency towards stagnation.

Dungeon Lords - First played this year. Super cool worker placement game with an interesting twist. Getting to be the bad guy is so much fun and constructing your dungeon as you go is great!

Puerto Rico - First played in 2015. I like that all the randomness is removed from this game, so it's just about building a good engine and rolling with it. It's hard for people to block you without also damaging themselves with the format of shipping. I've played it three times and won it twice so I feel pretty good about it.

The Manhattan Project - First played in 2013. I like the way you build your own personal board for worker placement in this game, it's nice not to have to compete with other people for spaces. The bomb names always make me giggle, too.

In the near future I'm hoping to try Scythe, Power Grid, Le Havre, and Viticulture as those are the titles accessible to me.

Whats your favourite longer eurogame and why? Would you add any more to try onto my list?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 18:00 #320615 by Jexik
I really like Power Grid. Despite its length, I've taught it to a pretty wide range of people. It definitely feels more accessible to me than most worker placement games, although people who strongly dislike arithmetic (like adding 2 digit numbers together) tend to dislike Power Grid too.

One from your list that I did used to like and play a bit was Dungeon Lords. I liked the basic idea of using traps and monsters to score points by snuffing out the adventurers. The money and food economy was really tight though and can be pretty offputting for some first timers.

Alchemists is wild and pretty cool. A bit of a bear to teach and it necessitates a companion app to play, but Clue meets worker placement (kind of) is probably the shortest way I can describe it.

More
15 Mar 2021 18:24 #320617 by ubarose
We still play Agricola.

All the rest of my favorites are old and out of print, so I'm not going to mention any of them, because whenever I mention an out of print game, someone hunts it down, over pays, and then finds it disappointing.

More
15 Mar 2021 18:26 #320618 by Gary Sax
Railways of the World/Railroad Tycoon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Mar 2021 19:34 #320627 by Jackwraith
Modern Art. It's my favorite Knizia.

Following relatively closely behind are Tribune, Samurai, and Blue Moon (if the latter can be considered a "Euro." (It's another Knizia!))

More
15 Mar 2021 19:35 #320628 by ChristopherMD
I had my suspicions in January when a similar thread was started. Fool me once...

3 years ago copy of OP the bot took:
www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/661..._favourite_eurogame/

3 years ago copy of OP the bot took for previous thread.
www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7fv..._favorite_eurogames/

Odd bots they have nowadays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, Nodens

More
15 Mar 2021 19:39 - 15 Mar 2021 19:39 #320629 by ubarose
Thanks MD. Bots are getting harder to spot. I blocked this one, but we can still discuss our favorite Euros.

We also still play Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World. Totally forgot about that one. Played it a bunch this summer as a matter of fact.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2021 19:39 by ubarose.

More
15 Mar 2021 19:40 #320630 by Sagrilarus
Through the Ages is definitely worth a look. El Grande, Acquire . . . and frankly I'll throw in for Settlers of Catan still, in spite of people knifing it these days.

An obscure euro that has had legs in my group is Wings for the Baron. Definitely worth a look, though it's getting hard to find.

More
15 Mar 2021 19:45 #320632 by ChristopherMD

ubarose wrote: Thanks MD. Bots are getting harder to spot. I blocked this one, but we can still discuss our favorite Euros.

January's thread went 4 pages so yeah not a big deal.

therewillbe.games/forum/13-eurogames/208...r-favorite-eurogames

More
15 Mar 2021 20:51 #320635 by Jackwraith
So... you're saying that bots enjoy mechanical Euros? Figures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, mezike, jason10mm, sornars, mc

More
15 Mar 2021 20:54 #320637 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: An obscure euro that has had legs in my group is Wings for the Baron. Definitely worth a look, though it's getting hard to find.

I really dig this game too. Owe it to your posts on this a couple of years ago which triggered me to check it out.

Tigris & Euphrates is my favorite Euro though, followed by Modern Art.

More
15 Mar 2021 20:57 - 15 Mar 2021 21:00 #320638 by ubarose

ChristopherMD wrote:

ubarose wrote: Thanks MD. Bots are getting harder to spot. I blocked this one, but we can still discuss our favorite Euros.

January's thread went 4 pages so yeah not a big deal.

therewillbe.games/forum/13-eurogames/208...r-favorite-eurogames

Maybe this time we can actually talk about the games we like and recommend to each other instead of arguing semantics.

And since Sag brought it up, I have been wanting to play El Grande recently, but it is out of print again and going for stupid money. Kicking myself for not getting a copy when it was going cheap on Amazon. But Josh got a copy, so I thought it was dumb for us both to have copy. Little did I know then how irrelevant "Josh has copy" would be in 2020.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2021 21:00 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718

More
15 Mar 2021 21:05 #320640 by ChristopherMD

charlest wrote: Tigris & Euphrates is my favorite Euro though, followed by Modern Art.

We have the same favorite. I never warmed to Modern Art though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
15 Mar 2021 21:14 #320642 by Jackwraith

ubarose wrote: And since Sag brought it up, I have been wanting to play El Grande recently, but it is out of print again and going for stupid money. Kicking myself for not getting a copy when it was going cheap on Amazon. But Josh got a copy, so I thought it was dumb for us both to have copy. Little did I know then how irrelevant "Josh has copy" would be in 2020.

Sigh... I remember seeing that on Amazon, too, and thinking: "I really should pull the trigger. It's the Big Box, too, so if I ever wanted to add in all the extra stuff, I could do it." But I didn't really have the money and the last thing I needed then (or right now) is another game to sit on the shelf. But, yeah, now it's listed for $300. Dammit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Mar 2021 21:23 #320643 by Sagrilarus
Pricing on El Grande has always just been crazy. I think I got the Decennial for like $28 from Game Surplus and a year or two later people were cold-calling me on BGG looking to buy it. Then it reprinted in the full-gaudy edition, prices were cheap, now it's back up again.

I've seen some other games do this, but jeeze.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds