October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

What is your favourite eurogame?

More
15 Mar 2021 21:34 #320646 by san il defanso
A few that I've always liked that I don't mention every other time:

Citadels - In its original form it can get a little long, but man, this game feels really nasty in a way that games just don't go for in 2021. I have always appreciated how it tends to punish the optimum play, instead forcing you to pick something that no one else suspects, more than what will be directly beneficial.

For Sale - The idea of a "filler" game has long been derided here, but For Sale really is such a tight little fifteen-minute design that I really feel like it's the ultimate filler. I love how the two halves of the game come together into a whole, using a auction to set up a fun double-guessing game. I've been playing this one for years, and it's still enjoyable.

I'm The Boss - Thanks to the benificence of Gary Sax, I realized just what I wanted in a negotiation game. Negotiation is not much fun for me, because it often rewards a more Machiavellian mind than I have. But I'm The Boss lets the weaker negotiator use the blunt instrument of out-of-turn cardplay, making it feel a little like a game of Intrigue bred with Cosmic Encounter. I just love it.

Manila - One of the last big out-of-print games in the US, though I think it still makes it in as an import. The gambling part is fun, but then I always enjoy that sort of thing. The part that really fascinates me is the auction for harbor-master, a position so powerful that it's almost worth any price you can pay. That makes the whole game feel more tense and high-stakes.

There are a bunch of others I mention every time a thread like this comes up: Agricola, Ra, Tigris & Euphrates, Power Grid, Argent: the Consortium, El Grande, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 21:37 #320647 by Ah_Pook
El Grande is a hard one these days because I haven't played a five player boardgame in over a year at this point and it wants 5 pretty much exclusively. The guy who runs my local game group owns it, or else I definitely would have bought one of the cheap Amazon big boxes. but... his game group is the only place I will ever find 4 other people who want to play El Grande, so it seemed like a waste to buy my own copy yknow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
15 Mar 2021 21:52 - 15 Mar 2021 21:53 #320655 by Jackwraith

san il defanso wrote: For Sale - The idea of a "filler" game has long been derided here, but For Sale really is such a tight little fifteen-minute design that I really feel like it's the ultimate filler. I love how the two halves of the game come together into a whole, using a auction to set up a fun double-guessing game. I've been playing this one for years, and it's still enjoyable.

Second vote for For Sale! I think it's brilliant for as simple as it is. Getting two very different auction games in one deck of cards is really slick (just like a good realtor! "Now, Marge: There's the truth [frowns] and the truth! [smiles]) I was introduced to it a couple years ago at my friend's home-based game "convention" that he holds every year and have been meaning to trade my way into a copy.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2021 21:53 by Jackwraith.

More
15 Mar 2021 22:07 #320657 by ubarose
@Jackwraith

If it is any consolation, the Z-Man Big Box edition that was selling on Amazon had really crappy component quality. Like so bad, it impacted game play. That was another reason I wasn't keen on buying it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
15 Mar 2021 22:13 #320660 by jason10mm
My big three are Power Grid, Puerto Rico, and Caylus. Pretty much every other euro i like is just a version of one of these. Is Terraforming Mars a euro? If so, thats a close runner up.

More
15 Mar 2021 22:15 #320661 by san il defanso
I haven't played Caylus in years, but my 2-3 games of it were pretty fun. I'm sure the people I was playing with helped a lot, I had a good group for that kind of game at that point in my life. That game might be the most Euro Euro that ever Euro'd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
15 Mar 2021 22:58 - 15 Mar 2021 23:06 #320664 by Sagrilarus

san il defanso wrote: I haven't played Caylus in years, but my 2-3 games of it were pretty fun. I'm sure the people I was playing with helped a lot, I had a good group for that kind of game at that point in my life. That game might be the most Euro Euro that ever Euro'd.

So Caylus is weird for me. When we first played it we mis-read the rules in such a way that money was extremely scarce, and you really had to grind to make things work. It was a killer challenge to succeed. We were heads down on it and there was some deep brain shit going on. It was the most intense euro we had ever played.

Then we re-read the rules, fixed our mistake and the game became too easy. It ruined it for us!

A year later when we cracked it back out again we tried to remember what we had been doing wrong and were never able to reproduce it. So it kind of feels like a game we gave away and haven't been able to repurchase.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2021 23:06 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, mezike, jason10mm, DarthJoJo

More
15 Mar 2021 23:02 #320665 by Sagrilarus

Jackwraith wrote:

san il defanso wrote: For Sale - The idea of a "filler" game has long been derided here, but For Sale really is such a tight little fifteen-minute design that I really feel like it's the ultimate filler. I love how the two halves of the game come together into a whole, using a auction to set up a fun double-guessing game. I've been playing this one for years, and it's still enjoyable.

Second vote for For Sale! I think it's brilliant for as simple as it is. Getting two very different auction games in one deck of cards is really slick (just like a good realtor! "Now, Marge: There's the truth [frowns] and the truth! [smiles]) I was introduced to it a couple years ago at my friend's home-based game "convention" that he holds every year and have been meaning to trade my way into a copy.

I like No Thanks a little more.

More
15 Mar 2021 23:10 #320666 by jeb
PUERTO RICO and LE HAVRE are both good shit. Just a big soup of role selection and little buildings that get you a sliiiiight edge and eventually you win. I actually homebrewed PUERTO RICO with Carthaginian graphics (I do own it, I think the base game graphics are shit).

More
15 Mar 2021 23:45 #320667 by san il defanso
Puerto Rico is a pretty good game, but it's one of those games like Scrabble or Chess that is really only fun if all the players are kind of equally good. If there's any disparity at all between the players it gets old real fast.

More
16 Mar 2021 01:22 #320669 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What is your favourite eurogame?
For Sale is great.
Tigris is great.
Railways too.

Konig von Siam/The King Is Dead is terrific - if you are pining for some El Grande in a small tight package its worth a look.

Not mentioned yet are those other Kramer/Kiesling area control games, Tikal, Mexica - great stuff.

As for the newer style heavy euros, not so much my bag but we do play Agricola and Carson City and I enjoy those. Those are pretty old now though themselves!

More
16 Mar 2021 09:10 #320673 by southernman
Not fair - putting Power grid and Railways of the World under the euro banner, I have to comment now :angry: .

Love Power Grid (probably because I'm an ex-power engineer , but I do like the building and market and powering up - feels more like a sim), quite happy to play most medium depth Railway games (18xx series is a bit too heavy but I will participate now and then) so Railways of the World is also a fave.
I like the early 'German' games that came first before the mechanics-heavy,points-salad euros really started to arrive so will happily play Puerto Rico when it's offered, own a copy of the original German Citadels and that is always a bit of fun, liked El Grande and Liberte in the day but not sure I'd play either now (would probably fill a seat without frowning if either came to the table though, to get brownie points toward one of my games getting accepted ;) ).

More
16 Mar 2021 09:21 #320676 by RobertB
One of my favorites is an old one that's long out of print and isn't coming back in that form, Union Pacific. It's been reimplemented as Airlines Europe, but I don't think it would be the same without the track cards.

Terraforming Mars turned out to be one of my wife's favorite games, and I like it.

As mentioned above, El Grande is awesome, but IMO it has to have five and only five players.

Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
16 Mar 2021 09:24 #320677 by charlest
For Sale is fantastic, good mentions. No Thanks! Is wonderful too.

Konig von Siam reminded me of another game which I absolutely adore and may edge out Modern Art as my number two in retrospect - Condottiere. That game is so damn good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
16 Mar 2021 10:20 #320682 by san il defanso
Oh, one that I really enjoy just about every time I play it is Five Tribes. I cannot imagine a stuffier, more Euro game, and geez, it just WORKS for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds