October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Gaia Project

More
27 Jan 2022 12:34 #330176 by Gary Sax
Gaia Project was created by Gary Sax
What a weird, ugly game this is! I'm in my first game on board game arena and it is, of course, an absolutely unintelligible wall of haphazardly arranged icons, bonuses, and tracks. Just like a lot of eurogames. It does seem like there's a pretty interesting push pull that forces players to bash themselves together to do any precious charging, so you really have to be carefully watching what others are doing and how their capabilities differ from yours. And where they might go.

It's a very, very abstract game, their ugly coat of paint doesn't hide that. I'm intrigued. It strikes me as kind of a modern euro parallel to the more doam take of Root on asymmetrical but interdependent factions. I don't know if it's good, I try to hold my fire on this sort of spreadsheet extravaganza until 5-10 plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2022 12:37 #330177 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Gaia Project
I just started a learning game of it last night on BGA. It's...a lot
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, sornars

More
27 Jan 2022 13:12 #330178 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Gaia Project
My buddy refers to things like that as “bouncable interfaces” as in your brain bounces off of it instead of looking in to see what you can find.

It’s one of those games that pretends it’s different each play because there’s just a lot of shit on the board. I personally found it really tedious, but it’s more or less the opposite of what I look for in games. Feels like my job, and I don’t get my hourly rate for playing it.

Maybe that’s why I don’t like Root, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, the_jake_1973

More
27 Jan 2022 14:19 #330183 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Gaia Project

Sagrilarus wrote: My buddy refers to things like that as “bouncable interfaces” as in your brain bounces off of it instead of looking in to see what you can find.

It’s one of those games that pretends it’s different each play because there’s just a lot of shit on the board. I personally found it really tedious, but it’s more or less the opposite of what I look for in games. Feels like my job, and I don’t get my hourly rate for playing it.

Maybe that’s why I don’t like Root, too.

I have that bounceable interfaces problem with its older sibling, Terra Mystica. The rules to Terra Mystica don't quite add up for me. Maybe brain damage, result of a misspent youth, whatever. It was a big hit at my local game club for a while, before the real TM heavy hitter, Terraforming Mars, showed up.

More
27 Jan 2022 14:20 #330184 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Gaia Project
My experience with BGA makes me think it would be a nightmare trying to learn something like this there, but to each their own ;) I quite like GP tho. Terra Mystica didn't grab me, but the changes in GP really made it click.

More
27 Jan 2022 15:09 #330187 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Gaia Project
Yeah, it's rough to learn on BGA because you don't work through the process, which is the WHOLE THING.

God, I already prefer Gaia Project to Terraforming Mars, in 1 turn the opponents have been more important than an entire game of TM.

More
27 Jan 2022 15:21 #330188 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Gaia Project
LMAO it took me YEARS to get Terra Mystica and when I did I actually really liked it. It’s complex for sure, but there are always concrete objectives to work toward. I do like Gaia Project better, it feels more refined and maybe a little easier to come to grips with. I’ve played both on BgA and…I’ll never touch the physical game again.

GP physical does have a very good solo mode though.

More
27 Jan 2022 15:21 #330189 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Gaia Project
Also- GP>>>>>TM by a long shot.

More
27 Jan 2022 16:33 #330191 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Gaia Project
I'm a first-time player in that same game with Gary. I can appreciate the online version of it, but MAN it is just a wall of information to me right now. I watched a quick tutorial this morning that helped a lot, but like Gary said, there are a lot of processes that I feel like I need to see physically to really get.

More
28 Jan 2022 16:17 #330222 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Gaia Project
I think the power charging engine at the heart of it is pretty cool.

More
31 Jan 2022 10:59 #330294 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Gaia Project
I now know *mechanically* how to play, still working on knowing how the parts should be moved. Willing to play and be trounced on BGA if folks want a game

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds