October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Shit Farmer

More
08 Feb 2008 11:52 - 08 Feb 2008 12:00 #2263 by Michael Barnes
Shit Farmer was created by Michael Barnes
So my pal Kristoff has been telling me that he's designed this prototype that he wanted to playtest...so last night, I told him to bring it on and we'd give it a shot. I was all ready to get down and dirty and prepared myself to do the ol' "well, your band is pretty good but..." routine.

So he shows up with this game he made- in a box with actual art- for a game called SHIT FARMER. He pulls it out and it's made with the hexes from SETTLERS (like 85% of the prototypes out there) and the slave tokens from PUERTO RICO.

So basically, you're producing shit. That's as far as theme goes. You get a shit farmer (which was represented by the cone things from WAR ON TERROR) a plot of land (a SETTLERS tile), and one of the SETTLERS numbers on it. Each turn you bid on more shitworkers, but you can only produce as much shit as the token on your land will allow- the "Shit Refining Value" or SRV. Each shitworker can handle three shitpiles, the farmer can do five. Then everybody produces shit (those PR slaves). Then there's another auction where you bid on refineries (the brown and darker brown goods markers from PUERTO RICO- yes, the corn ones were there also) that turn your shit into gold. The first auction winner gets to refine five, and then so on down the line. The refined shit is your victory points.

What really surprised me about all this is that not only did he make this game solely to make fun of Eurogames, but it also hit all the touchstone elements. One page of rules, passive-aggressive player interaction, "clever" mechanics, wooden bits, a corn strategy, and a stupid asinine theme. As in a lot of Eurogames, I won without even knowing what I was doing or even paying attention beyond following the rules. And it was more fun than CAYLUS.

I think he should send it to Rio Grande.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 12:00 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2008 13:03 #2267 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Shit Farmer
The title of the game needs more work. My suggestion: "SCHEISSEBAUERN."

Also, this is shit farming in the 17th century, right? Modern-day industrial shit farming won't appeal. I suppose, though, that a game about shit-farming in the 1800s might win over some train-gamers.

More
08 Feb 2008 13:09 #2268 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Shit Farmer
EMBARGO!

More
08 Feb 2008 13:10 #2269 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:Shit Farmer
What about multiple paths to victory?

More
08 Feb 2008 13:19 #2270 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Shit Farmer
I'll have to ask Kristoff about the specificity of the theme...knowing his tastes, it's almost certainly about the shit trade as conducted by the Magyars or medieval Russians.

Heh, I thought about the Thunderdome thing too...but that's the AT version of the game, now isn't it?

There are multiple paths to victory. You can skillfully choose which auctions to win and which to pass on. The shit is actually the currency, so you have do a little resource management to decide which shit you're going to spend and which you're going to refine into saleable product.

I was thinking maybe he ought to make a standalone expansion that moves the action to the age of shipping called PEE TANKER.

More
08 Feb 2008 13:30 #2273 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Shit Farmer
Don't get me inspired. Next thing you know I'll have designed a game on complying with EU regulations, maximising the subsidy on sugar beets and selling your milk quota. And it will all be your fault!

More
08 Feb 2008 14:08 #2277 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Shit Farmer
If I may offer some designer-notes to your commentary, SRV = Shit Richness Value, You are bidding to produce refined barrels of shit, and you also bid to purchase more Dung-Plots.

The really funny thing is that as we played it I was actually considering how to make it better, while still not breaking with the making-fun-of-a-Euro concept. As far as a theme goes, I had not really considered it, but I suppose the box-art does suggest medieval (or late-renaissance) German, Russian or Eastern European Shit-Farmers. I was kind of imagining it as modern before I put on the box-art, but I think I like the idea of a late-renaissance, 16-1700s theme.

More
08 Feb 2008 14:28 #2279 by Michael Barnes
Damn K- I didn't realize you were Pseudointellectual...well, alright, I stand corrected.

If you want to succeed at this Euro-racket, you'd better stick to archaic period...

More
08 Feb 2008 14:44 #2280 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Shit Farmer
Does the game end when everyone passes .... or do you just move to another room ?

More
08 Feb 2008 15:13 #2282 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Shit Farmer
Does it have the elegant Rondel Mechanic?

More
08 Feb 2008 15:24 #2285 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Shit Farmer
If I shit this turn, does that preclude all other players from shitting in the same turn? I certainly hope so, because

1. it's truer to the theme, that way, and
2. no other mechanism for player interaction has ever been invented in the history of board games.

More
08 Feb 2008 17:11 - 08 Feb 2008 17:13 #2299 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Shit Farmer
Southernman wrote:

Does the game end when everyone passes .... or do you just move to another room ?

You have five rounds, consisting of auctioning off "lots" of Labourers(a lot of five labourers,then a lot of four, and so on), Auctioning off Dung-Plots, labourer-allocation, Shit-Token Production, and then another Auction.

I don't know what the elegant Rondel Mechanic is, but it might have that...
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 17:13 by PseudoIntellectual.

More
08 Feb 2008 17:18 #2301 by Michael Barnes

You take the pointer off of a spinner and just let players pick the spot the want...it eliminates a lot of the pesky fun inherent in games.

More
08 Feb 2008 17:39 #2303 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Shit Farmer
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

Southernman wrote:

You have five rounds, consisting of auctioning off "lots" of Labourers(a lot of five labourers,then a lot of four, and so on), Auctioning off Dung-Plots, labourer-allocation, Shit-Token Production, and then another Auction.

[/i]

I was thinking that for a 6-player game if you have everyone passing then there is going to be a big fucking stinking mess and it's either end of game or time for a new room .... ?

More
09 Feb 2008 14:41 #2323 by Steve Bernhardt
Replied by Steve Bernhardt on topic Re:Shit Farmer
I checked, this isn't in the BGG database yet.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds