October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

From the Hills: Monopoly Master vs. In the Year of the Dragon

More
11 Jan 2008 18:13 #364 by jeb
I'm titling this post, "From the Hills" because it's about Eurogaming, and "In the Trenches" just doesn't make any fucking sense when you're talking about games like that.

I've got little kids and a non-gamer wife, so I get to play with a group about once every geologic era. The last few sessions I've made it to have been great, but the folks are more Euro players than not--I've seen a lot more Colosseum than Descent, say.

Anyway, one of the players at these sessions is Ken Koury --apparently some kind of hotshit Monopoly king. He seems cool enough, anyway.

At the last session, I learned how to wargame with Target Arnhem, and Ken and the other three folks piled off to play In the Year of the Dragon . So after about 90 minutes of kicking Nazi ass all over Eindhoven and finally eating shit trying to get through Nijmegen I head to the other room and see them wrapping up this game--there's rice chips everywhere, people are muttering about having enough Buddhas in their houses, and someone invested in fireworks and it didn't pay off--I don't see Ken though. He's over on the couch, where apparently he's been for the last hour or so--he just bailed--the game was "not fun." This is from a guy that plays MONOPOLY to completion, almost daily (online).

He said it was competitive accounting--AGAIN, THE MAN PLAYS MONOPOLY AT A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. If you have crafted a game that can bore this man, you have done it wrong. Keep it fun! And run if you see someone breaking out this game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2008 20:00 #391 by Michael Barnes
Well, clearly he lacks the amazing ability "Spielfrieks" have to discern elegant, brilliant mechanics in games that have agonizing decisions. I mean, after all, he is a "Sheeple". I bet he wouldn't enjoy AGRICOLA, either, that heathen dog!

The funniest thing is that he probably makes more money playing MONOPOLY professionally then any given hobby game designer.

More
14 Jan 2008 08:07 #588 by Schweig!
"In the Year of the Dragon" and "Agricola" are both nice games, but there's no fun in them.

More
15 Jan 2008 11:35 #731 by jeb
Schweig! wrote:

"In the Year of the Dragon" and "Agricola" are both nice games, but there's no fun in them.

You're really touching on something deep there, and something that would get you in a lot of trouble over at BGG. It's true though--games like these aren't fun--they are like exercises. It's got redeeming value, but it's a slog getting through it. At the end, you have outwitted your opponents, but they might as well not have been there over the previous two hours. "Everyone go home, finish your game, and turn in your scores--I'll email the winner's name to everyone."

More
17 Jan 2008 07:01 #917 by daveroswell
jeb wrote:

Anyway, one of the players at these sessions is Ken Koury --apparently some kind of hotshit Monopoly king. He seems cool enough, anyway.

Does the guy wear a crown and a monacle? Anyways, sorry for responding so late; I just registered. I could see Monopoly being something you play with your kids or begrudgingly with relatives (or when you're completely fucked up), but I wouldn't advertise being a "king" at it.

More
17 Jan 2008 07:10 - 17 Jan 2008 07:11 #918 by daveroswell
You come home from a hard days work to play a game about working hard on your farm and fixing your house? Just fix your roof...at least something productive would get done. Agricola's theme has the same problem as the Sims computer stuff...why roleplay taking a piss on the Sims?? I do that enough thanks.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2008 07:11 by daveroswell.

More
17 Jan 2008 12:38 #961 by Schweig!
daveroswell wrote:

You come home from a hard days work to play a game about working hard on your farm and fixing your house?

I also wouldn't attack another country with panzer divisions in my spare time, but that's not the point.

It doesn't matter what "eurogames" are about. There's just no fun in Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caylus, and the like, and this is completly independet from if you imaginarily ship slaves to America, plant vegetables or build a castle.

I gotta give it to them though, that I quite enjoy playing everything for the first time and try to develop a strategy only from rules explanation. After every players is experienced with a game winning is only due to other players (bad) moves, and it helps playing as passively as possible.

Like for example when you say in Puerto Rico: "I gonna try to crop as much indigo as possible", you're ultimately screwed, because everybody will be counteracting against you. So when saying: "This time I'm going to try and take Moscow in 1941" in wargame, nothing is over and you can still try something else if your first plan fails (like winning Kursk)...

And the irony is that "eurogames" are called "strategy games" in Germany. (With stuff like Settlers being just "boardgames").

More
17 Jan 2008 12:51 #965 by Rliyen
Damn, and I was actually interested in the ITYOTD game. Anything that makes Monopoly look like a fun choice does not bode well in my book.

More
17 Jan 2008 17:43 #1009 by Mr Skeletor
daveroswell wrote:

Agricola's theme has the same problem as the Sims computer stuff...why roleplay taking a piss on the Sims?? I do that enough thanks.

It's the only way some people can pull a root.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds