October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Chicken Caesar? The Hotness?

• Steve Weeks
  • Steve Weeks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2012 17:20 #118484 by Steve Weeks
Replied by Steve Weeks on topic Re: Chicken Caesar? The Hotness?

Contests are pretty lucrative for BGG

Lucrative for BGG=Good for gaming?

I say not always

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:21 - 06 Mar 2012 17:22 #118485 by SuperflyPete

Steve Weeks wrote:

Wait...reviewers are now doing 'previews' of kickstarter projects?

A disturbing trend and a waste of time because these videos say that the components you see are not final. So really you are seeing a preview of something that will most likely change.

First, it makes a lot of sense. People spending money on vaporware need to know how a game plays, and thus it makes sense that people see, up front, a prototype game in action, knowing that the quality will be better than the proto.

Second, weren't you noting that you'd be first in line to help promote Capo after seeing nothing other than (coincidentally) a....PREVIEW VIDEO WITH TOM VASEL?
fortressat.com/index.php/forum/10-ameritrash/118083-capo

So, what's the difference?
Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 17:22 by SuperflyPete.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:22 #118487 by tscook
I enter every contest and guess wildly, then delete the microbadge. It really makes me feel like I'm subverting the system from within.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:34 #118489 by Mr. White
So, some reviewers have now blatantly moved from providing critique to being nothing more than an infomercial?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
06 Mar 2012 17:50 #118493 by SuperflyPete
I called Tom on this a while back, and he pushed back. But I wasn't criticizing, which he later understood.

If you can make money being a "paid spokesmodel" and make money having a hobby-based website where you review products, fucking go for it. I mean, what's the difference between F:AT having banner ads on the site where games are reviewed and Tom having banner ads where games get reviewed? I don't see a problem with that, and I don't see a problem being a "paid spokesmodel" as long as you're honest in your assessment and like the products you endorse.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:51 #118496 by SGT Dave

Jeff White wrote: So, some reviewers have now blatantly moved from providing critique to being nothing more than an infomercial?

Or play it once, give an objective review, then sell their complimentary promo copy for a profit on this site.

Anyway you look at, reviews, especially video reviews, have been coming out of the woodwork lately, so geeks can whore themselves out for free games. Hell, I've been tempted to do it myself.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:53 - 06 Mar 2012 17:54 #118497 by SuperflyPete
I'd argue there's not much profit in it, though Dave. You have to play the game, read the rules, drive to a venue (unless you host, in which case you pay for snacks and have to clean up) then you have to sit and write, edit, photograph, and then edit some more. Then you get to post it to your site and others, all with different interfaces making it impossible to just copy/paste.

10 hours invested per article, 30$ to sell a used game. It's 3$ an hour, and that's not even counting expenses. :)
Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 17:54 by SuperflyPete.

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2012 18:52 #118504 by Steve Weeks
[quoteSecond, weren't you noting that you'd be first in line to help promote Capo after seeing nothing other than (coincidentally) a....PREVIEW VIDEO WITH TOM VASEL?
fortressat.com/index.php/forum/10-ameritrash/118083-capo

So, what's the difference? ][/quote]

The difference is that CAPO is not claiming hottness. It will not be a hot game until released, played by me and I declare it to be so, along with other gamers and not profiteers.

Chicken Caesar is Not hot, will never be hot, and even as vaporware stinks. The idea of declaring it hot smacks of dishonesty.

More
06 Mar 2012 19:00 #118508 by SuperflyPete
I see what you're saying. But Chicken Choker or whatever isn't claiming it either, is it? Boardgamegeek is. You have to understand that hotness is simply a measure of clicks on the subject or a related subject, not actual interest.

Fuck, when Crokigate hit, I was at the top of the hotness for 3 days. I was so impressed and proud of myself...I mean, what an achievement...(rolls eyes)...

So you see, if you take any stock whatsoever in BGG ratings, BGG Hotness, or really, anything relating to BGG, you're retarded. The whole site is a sales and marketing tool for the sole purpose of promoting products to hobbyists that has a large percentage of mentally compromised addicts as its constituents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, Ryan B.

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2012 19:01 #118509 by Steve Weeks

10 hours invested per article, 30$ to sell a used game. It's 3$ an hour, and that's not even counting expenses. :)

These reviewers are not only doing it for the money. They are doing it for board game fame. Salinas and his "epic films" have in his mind put him on par with Hollywood's top directors. It wouldn't surprise me if you found a director's chair in Salinas' house with a copy of Variety on it.

Salinas produces over the top commercials and then thinks he can dictate to the owner of the product.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds