October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Chicken Caesar? The Hotness?

More
06 Mar 2012 21:52 #118536 by SuperflyPete
I have "some expertise" in this field due to some business I've done in my long and storied career in the exciting field of electronics assembly... LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2012 22:17 #118540 by Notahandle
Chicken Caesar? It's the Cult of the New effect enhanced with Kickstarter's pile 'em high goodness (promos that is). "What?, I say, what is wrong with that?" the TOSsers cry.

Me? I was impressed by how dumb the concept sounded and read no more.

SuperflyTNT wrote:
" Especially since I get games that I really, really don't want to review, yet they get sent to me."
No excuses Pete, quit stalling on that Candyland review.

More
06 Mar 2012 22:45 #118543 by KingPut
I played Chicken Caesar back in November. It's actually a pretty good game with a completely stupid ass theme. The game is a simplier and shorter version of Kremlin. I think it's kind of funny that Capo is also compared to Kremlin and Tom's working on Cappo. Chicken Caesar uses voting and Cappo is area majority. The designer of Chicken Caesar said his wife named the game. He was working on a Roman Caesar game and his wife said why don't you name it Chicken Caesar. I guess that what you get when a Kick Starter game designer listens to his wife.

More
06 Mar 2012 23:11 #118545 by cdennett
Now I'm stuck with this mental image of Steve Weeks in his front yard with a garden hose yelling at those Kickstarter kids to get off his lawn.

More
06 Mar 2012 23:49 #118547 by ubarose
Personally, I'm in it for the sex. That and a ride to the waffle house at 4am.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Fallen

More
07 Mar 2012 00:24 #118550 by SuperflyPete

ubarose wrote: Personally, I'm in it for the sex. That and a ride to the waffle house at 4am.

"We've upped our game. Up yours!" now makes PERFECT sense. LOL

More
07 Mar 2012 00:32 #118552 by san il defanso

SuperflyTNT wrote:

ubarose wrote: Personally, I'm in it for the sex. That and a ride to the waffle house at 4am.

"How do you sleep at night?"

"On a big pile of money, with many beautiful ladies."

That's the life of the game critic in one Simpsons line.

More
07 Mar 2012 02:53 #118557 by DukeofChutney

San Il Defanso wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

"How do you sleep at night?"

"On a big pile of money, with many beautiful ladies."

That's the life of the game critic in one Simpsons line.

Ahh, so this is what the F:AT cast help line number is for.

I think a fairly clear distinction can be made in board games journalism between game previewers and game critics, the latter are far rarer than the former. I don't have a problem with previewers, their vids can be useful for finding out basic facts about a game and getting some feel for it. I guess a limited amount of blame for the proliferation of crap could be dumped at their doors, but people would still buy it. Its probably worse in the video game industry, just look at IGN, and that's supposed to be paid professional journalism.

More
07 Mar 2012 14:24 #118565 by Stephen Avery
Wow, How did I miss this thread. IT is very entertaining reading.

Ok so let me throw in my 2 cents. Right now there are a whole group of small publishers who have 'cracked the system'. It is realy pretty interesting to watch. They know how to get their game images into the hotness, they are all over social media, they are using socialogy and marketing techiniques to determine when when to push their games and when to put it into the hotness. They support each others games using page views and hits to generate buzz.

It is nothing new though, Colby Dauch has been doing it since his first foray in to publishing and it has lead him to great success. The difference here though is that there is a whole 'alliance' of small publishers so it is easier to generate the volume needed to catapult stuff into the hotness. I am rather taken with the whole idea because they are taking advantage of BGG. However, Another aspect of that is promoting through official BGG channels though adds and contests (which you are right- they're pretty expensive $1200.)

The other side of this is kickstarter which has enabled them to publish at a greatly reduced overhead and give them starting capitol to offset costs. This has also been studied and is married to the buzz campaign on BGG. The whole thing is really pretty clever. KS has been so successful that that there are even consultants who will help you learn the ropes of this whole process (the game whisperer's podcast Funding the Dream.) Game Salute in now offering a 'total package' that will do it all for you should you want to just concentrate on the game design and have some oen else take care of details.

As for Chicken Ceasar, I'd like to try it. I talked with Brian Fischer, one of the designers and I liked the power struggle aspect of the game- though Chickens? I would have gone for gangsters...oh wait.

Regaurding Vasel's videos I think as long as he makes it clear that it is a paid review then do whatever the hell he wants. That is capitolism right? Personally I get paid for *not* endorsing a game...and for not attending game functions. And for not associating with certain people. All of you who are behind in your payments can expect a visit soon and all the unpleasantness that comes from enduring my company. Of course you can all make it go away for a few $$$.

Steve"Making a quick buck"Avery
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, DukeofChutney

More
07 Mar 2012 15:35 #118573 by ZMan

Stephen Avery wrote: Personally I get paid for *not* endorsing a game...and for not attending game functions. And for not associating with certain people.

Steve"Making a quick buck"Avery

*****And you cannot afford the amount of money it takes to not have Steve come to your house and not endorse a game and not hang with your friends!

Riff on a Marx Brothers joke.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds