October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Game Night Freak-outs

More
27 Apr 2012 15:22 #123958 by Harkonnen13

MattLoter wrote: I bought my first Player's Handbook at Game Towne. I still love going when I'm in town, though it's lost a lot of it's magic since I was 6.

I bought stuff there way back when too. From what I've heard the store is in bad shape. I don't know how they stay open.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2012 15:56 - 27 Apr 2012 15:58 #123965 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
I've freaked out. I've seen other people freak out. It usually has nothing to do with the game. It's just people push each other's buttons. Playing a game isn't like being at a cocktail party, where if someone is annoying you, you can just walk away and go chat with someone else. You are stuck at the table with that person. People try to keep their cool, but eventually reach their limit and blow up. Typically the thing that puts them over the edge seems trivial, however it's not that one specific thing that they are upset about. It's the culmination of an hour or two (or sometimes a long history) of annoying behavior that sets them off.

Like I know a guy who always interrupts people when they are speaking. It's crazy making during a rules explanation, because the person who is explaining the rules can't get two sentences out without him asking a question about something that the rules explainer hasn't gotten to yet. So the rules explainer gets side tracked repeatedly, and the rules come out in a tumbled order that doesn't make much sense, and usually something gets forgotten.

Recently we were playing our second game of the evening with with this guy, which meant that we had already gone through the interrupted rules once with the first game. Then during the game he was interrupting conversation. Then we went through it with the rules for the second game. During this I was trying to stay cool. Reminding myself he was actually a really nice guy who I like, and to just be patient, but I was getting annoyed.

After the rules explainer was done, I was still confused, due to all the interruptions, and asked for a clarification on one of the rules. The guy interrupts my question before I even get it out to say the rule is perfectly clear and we should just play. I ask that we look up and read what is actually there, but he interrupts me again and gives me a rule as he remembered it, and insists that we just play. But since he hadn't allowed me to speak a full sentence either time I tried to ask my question, neither he nor anyone at the table even knew exactly what I was asking, and his answers hadn't addressed my actual issue. So at that point I was totally steamed, because I had sat through 300 of his questions, and he wouldn't even let me finish speaking one full sentence to fully articulate exactly what my question was. Plus, I probably wouldn't even have needed to ask the question in the first place if he hadn't interrupted the rules explanation 20 times. When he cut me off on the 3rd attempt, I think I told him to shut the fuck up (or something like that, I don't really remember but it was something that upset everyone) and walked out.

So everyone who was there or who heard about it (gossip is rampant in our game group) thinks I blew up over a disagreement over the interpretation of a game rule, when all I wanted was for someone to pass me the rule book so that I could read the paragraph for myself. My vindication is that now there is a common consensus in the gaming community that the paragraph I wanted to read was poorly written and ambiguous, and there has since been an FAQ on it. However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm still considered by some to be that crazy bitch who yelled at the nice guy and then stormed out.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 15:58 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
27 Apr 2012 16:11 #123969 by MattFantastic

ubarose wrote: I'm still considered by some to be that crazy bitch who yelled at the nice guy and then stormed out.

But that's why we love you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
27 Apr 2012 16:19 #123971 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
I once saw a guy pretty much lose his shit during a game of Talisman. He had the absolute worst run of luck I had ever seen in the game. I on the other hand was just cruising along and having a grand ol time. It culminated with being turned good, losing some shit that only an evil character could possess and then me stealing a talisman from him. His demeanor quickly soured and he was threatening to quit. I was actually a bit taken aback because it was very childish behavior. This was only our second or third time playing boardgames together and I had never seen him act like this. Me and his friend had to practically beg him to finish the game.

Best part of the story...There was a moment towards the end of the game where something bad finally happened to me. It was like a crack of thunder and the gaming gods switched our fates. All the bad shit started happening to me and he began the most unlikely run at the Crown that I had ever seen. I was pretty powerful and got to "Dice with Death" with almost full health. Sure as shit I failed each and every roll (even with fate) and proceeded to die. This guy came in right behind me and snatched the victory. He apologized afterwards, but it was still pretty shitty of him to act like that in the first place...it's Talisman, just expect bad things to happen all of the time!

Also I completely understand where Uba is coming from. I'm SUPER laid back when I play games. However, I usually am the one who has to explain the rules. This usually happens when everyone is drunk and CONSTANTLY asking questions to shit that hasn't even been explained yet. This makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. The interruptions really drive me nuts.

More
27 Apr 2012 16:28 #123973 by SuperflyPete
We used to have that problem until my buddy Mickey, who has, shall we say, "a presence", laid down the edict that while the rules are being gone over, everyone is to shut the fuck up and listen, and only AFTER the rules are done may you ask questions.

And that's been working ever since, for a year or so.

More
27 Apr 2012 16:30 #123974 by san il defanso
For me, it's almost never the game itself that drives me crazy, but something outside of the action of the game. Last night I played Mare Nostrum and the guy who was Egypt was complaining how everyone was ganging up on him. Normally that's fine with me (and certainly part of the metagame of Mare Nostrum), but this guy would not let it go. He just kept going on and on about it, and it was actually keeping the game from advancing. He eventually let it go, but if he hadn't I was about ready to wring his neck.

My other freak-out story was my first game of Innovation. It was four players, three of us totally new. One guy got about two turns in and realized that he was going to hate the game. So he found another person to fill in for him, someone who knew the game really well. No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned. In the second-to-last turn, another guy got smacked with Fission. For those in teh dark, Fission basically means you were nuked and all of your technology is pretty much destroyed. You are essentially sent back to the stone age. After that, he actually got up and walked away, saying what a terrible game it was and how it was basically Munchkin, etc. So my first game of Innovation was enough to make two people quit the game.

More
27 Apr 2012 16:55 #123979 by SuperflyPete
Then you played it right.

If you nuke someone into loincloths and stick spears, there's no coming back from that shit.

Charlie, YOU LOSE!

More
27 Apr 2012 18:07 #123987 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs

ubarose wrote: Like I know a guy who always interrupts people when they are speaking. It's crazy during a rules explanation, because the person who is explaining the rules can't get two sentences out without him asking a question about something that the rules explainer hasn't gotten to yet. So the rules explainer gets side tracked repeatedly, and the rules come out in a tumbled order that doesn't make much sense, and usually something gets forgotten.

As the rule reader I've been there and completely agree that is by far one of the most annoying behaviors, my group notwithstanding.

I taught a few(5) friends TI3 a little bit ago, went pretty well, other than the fact that they didn't do the homework (read over the rules before game day). I spent over an hour going through them all the while being interrupted. By then end of it I was at the end of my rope. We started the placement, and as I was the only one to have played the game before, it was general consensus to nuke the shit out of me from the start. My space tiles were: 3 empty space, 1 wormhole planet & an Asteroid Field.

I offered to be the first player in order to demonstrate how tile placement works as well as how a first turn would look and why I chose to do what I was doing. I placed an empty tile on the opposite side of Mec and how placement of tiles is the very first part where you can screw your opponents. I turned out to be an amazing teacher as the only planets close to my system was the one I had in hand as well as a second tile the bride placed out of sympathy(read the second last place to put her tile, she wanted the supernova to cover her other flank).

All well and good, FFWD a couple hours and I was still answering basic rules questions on every stop along the board. “what does that tile do again?”, “What does that that strat card do?” not to mention the constant barrage of activated system clarifications. That’s when I had had enough:

“Seriously?, we’ve been playing this for 5 hours and you’re still asking the same questions every time it’s your turn. I did mention that there are political cards that change rules in the game, but, so far, no one has voted any of them into law. So the rules are still the same as when I went over them at the start of the game, and every turn to now. I sent everyone a copy of the rules to read beforehand so we could avoid what is still happening 6 rounds in.”

She turned as red as her hair and worked her turn out with her boyfriend, who promptly turned his attention on what little forces I had left and wiped them off of them map(atta boy). By the end of the game I had 3 planets, 6 ground forces & 1 pds (The only unit left on my home planet). As a moral victory, my saucy lil bride picked up on the mechanics of the game & got her 10vp’s by turn 8 with my pal chasing her with 8vp’s. The rest of us were lucky to have 6 total between us.

All in all it was a great game, but the constant rules interruptions & clarifications caused me to lose my shit. Which actually reminds me of another melt down I had playing Warhammer Fantasy, it led me to abandon my Orcs & Gobbo's for good.

More
27 Apr 2012 19:00 - 27 Apr 2012 19:01 #123990 by SuperflyPete
I'd like to point out at this stage, as Shellie aptly did, that all of these stories seem to have one underpinning in common:

It's not the game that's the problem. It's the lack of common courtesy compounded by the perceived need to "not just walk away".

Every one of these situations could've been avoided by one thing: people remembering that they're playing a game with other people, not automatons, and simply NOT forgetting simple rules of etiquette taught to 5 year olds.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 19:01 by SuperflyPete.

More
27 Apr 2012 19:14 #123992 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
I nearly came to a freak out once, but was able to restrain myself.

I and three other people were doing a Road to Legend campaign. It was my first time playing Descent ever. As my house was central to everyone attending, the game was hosted at my place. Anyhow, this one guy, who is a lawyer mind you, was the most annoying, grossest, and ill-mannered person I have ever met. This guy would chew so loud with his mouth open and food spittling out, the would burp and fart so loud also with not so much as an "excuse me". Also, he would argue every single this the overlord would do, which I would normally agree with the overlord and most of us were having a good time. Like, every time something bad would happen, he'd be all "no no no, it should be this or that way". There was even one instance where he requested we restart the entire campaign because the OL was ahead by something like 25 experience points. I was ready to ring his neck so many times. Luckily he is a dickweed and just ended up not playing anymore. Eventually the group disbanded because we were all just too stressed and it just wasn't fun anymore after all his bullshit. I would play with the other again in a heart beat, but seriously, fuck that dude. Ugh, I hate lawyers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds