October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Birthday for a 6 year old

More
02 May 2016 09:10 #226753 by Gary Sax
Alright, help me out F:AT parents? My nephew is turning six and I don't know what to get him. He likes games so I sometimes get him boardgames (loopin' chewie, tok tok woodsman) so I thought maybe I'd do that again this year. The problem is that I'm trying to narrow in on what would appropriate for his age, I'm not one of these mfers who wants to get a 6 year old terra mystica. I don't give a shit if it's niche hobby, mass market, etc. Any thoughts? I can provide more details if that'd be helpful. My brother told me he likes how Pokemon cards look but they're a bit advanced for him to actually play at the moment.

I suppose the real follow-up question is when is it heroscape time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 09:52 #226755 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Birthday for a 6 year old

Gary Sax wrote: I suppose the real follow-up question is when is it heroscape time?

That's always the real question though, isn't it? After having some years with it and the kids, I'd actually suggest waiting until about 8 or 9. For 6, and hearing his interests I'd go with the following:

There are three version of this game with each getting a bit more abstract. Still, I think any would be fine. Particularly since he likes Pokemon, but maybe not ready to play the full on cardgame. This is a light adventure/Talisman like game of collecting, trading, and battling Pokemon until you get to the end space and battle a gym leader. Parents can definitely tweak the length/competitiveness by removing some event cards and such. Again, very Talisman like. Downside is that all three versions are oop so I don't know how he'd feel about getting a used game as a gift. You may be able to find some new or like new editions though.

Super easy to play and the new cartoony, drizzt art direction is perfect for the 6 year old set. Also in print and super cheap. Good value here, but maybe not a recognizable brand.

Obviously, I feel the Master Trainer game is what you want but if a suitable condition/price can't be found go with Dungeon! I'd say these two are the best, hands-down, for a 6 year old. Something like SW Epic Duels is also ok, but that is strictly competitive. The two adventure/race games here have so much randomness adults and kids alike are almost on equal footing. Plus, exploring and gaining stuff is more fun for a 6 year old than losing units.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
02 May 2016 09:54 #226756 by SebastianBludd
Sushi Go is a good option. It's cheap, simple enough to grasp - it says for ages 8+ but I'm sure he could handle it - and it plays fast so it never wears out its welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 May 2016 10:01 - 02 May 2016 10:03 #226757 by Mr. White
Totally forgot about Yo-Kai Watch. I don't know much about it, but I think it's one of the newer Pokemon knock-offs, but seems to have legs. My daughter (5) is really getting into it and my wife says the cartoon is a bit younger than Pokemon (I haven't seen it). I'm not sure what actual hobby games are out there for it, but perhaps its theme and the familiar game of LIFE for the parents would be a good generational bridge?

Last edit: 02 May 2016 10:03 by Mr. White.

More
02 May 2016 10:08 - 02 May 2016 10:08 #226758 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
Thanks, Jeff and Sebastian! My brother has a copy of Dungeon already otherwise I would 100% get that for him.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 10:08 by Gary Sax.

More
02 May 2016 10:18 - 02 May 2016 10:24 #226759 by Mr. White
You may have missed the Yo-Kai Watch suggestion. I think it could be a safe hit and current with what kids are into.

Also looks like there's some cross promotional toy value with the play watch.

EDIT: heck, maybe just get him this toy watch. I think you buy little 'yo-kais' (imp-like spirits? I dunno) separately that you put into it that make sounds and what not.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 10:24 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 May 2016 10:26 #226760 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
Rhino Hero and Coconuts are always a hit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
02 May 2016 13:03 #226764 by Michael Barnes
My kids are bananas for Yokai Watch, but there's not really any kind of game other than the 3DS one. We have the watch and a ton of the medallions, a couple of stuffies, etc. They watch the show, it is younger-facing than Pokémon. The dubbing is weird...my favorite character is this one that has this hillbilly voice and says things like "well bless my swirls!".

Coconuts is a SOLID suggestion, I have yet to see a kid that doesn't love it. Maybe also try Micro Monsters, which is kind of the little kid version of Micro Mutants, which is a nerd version of tiddlywinks.

The best kids games in that age group right now are the ones I reviewed from HABA a couple of weeks ago- Spookies, Karuba and Adventure Land. They are all all-ages/family friendly, but 6/7/8 is about just right for them.

More
02 May 2016 13:14 - 02 May 2016 13:20 #226765 by Mr. White
The thing about these HABA games...and we have/had a couple...

They are fine games, but not something I think a 6 year old would be excited to open on their birthday. They're sound games, but nothing with any narrative and definitely fall on the euro side of things. Again, they're fine, but the kid certainly isn't "living the adventure". I'm a strong advocate of original IPs or not buying up licensed crap, but with this age that's the sort of stuff that gets them excited...not unlike a how a game with the SW, 40K, or LotR license excites our peers.

In our house HABA games are brought in as a 'family game' at Christmas time or something. I definitely don't buy one for a kid as their specific gift. Mass market, shared with peers experiences, goes a long way at this age.

I hope you can tell that I think kids should play and value stuff like HABA games, but I'm not sure they make the best birthday presents. I'm saying be careful not to send the kid the sign that you are the out of touch, stuffy uncle.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 13:20 by Mr. White.

More
02 May 2016 13:45 - 02 May 2016 13:53 #226767 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
He has a 3ds. I almost bought him megaman gold collection. You guys are great, thanks for the suggestions!
Last edit: 02 May 2016 13:53 by Gary Sax.

More
02 May 2016 13:59 #226768 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
Second SUSHI GO, our 4yo is playing it. He also really likes SURVIVE.

More
02 May 2016 14:02 #226769 by SuperflyPete
Rhino Hero is fantastic for that age. Richard Scarry's Busytown is also fantastic for that age.

Brandon the Brave is a hair hard to comprehend for 6 year olds but smart 7's and beyond will get it fine.

More
02 May 2016 15:03 - 02 May 2016 15:05 #226780 by Black Barney
The boy is ready.

If he has a sister, this season isn't a good one for him to watch.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 15:05 by Black Barney.

More
02 May 2016 17:16 #226797 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
My daughter's favorite game from when she was 6 was probably Fish Eat Fish, a Knizia bluffing game with awesome plastic fish pieces that eat each other.

More
02 May 2016 17:25 #226798 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
I suppose that Ca$h 'n Gun$ is out of the question.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds