October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Birthday for a 6 year old

More
02 May 2016 18:00 #226802 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Birthday for a 6 year old

Seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 18:03 #226803 by Michael Barnes
One of my favorite Atlanta Game Factory memories was when we were playing C&G with this kid who was one of the regulars...his parents would drop him off and he'd play pretty much anything and everything all day long. We had him in a C&G game and he got into an in-game dispute with another player so he is standing up, pointing an airsoft gun (we dispensed with the foam guns and used fake Glocks, Sigs, 45s, etc.- most with laser sights and scopes and shit attached to them) at the other guy. He's all gangstered up, "Put your fuckin' piece down you god damned pussy, I will fuck your world up so sit the fuck down and shut your mouth". We were cracking up- this kid was like 12. He's got his back to the door, and I see his mom come in. She walked up behind him and taps him on the back. He turned around and THREW the gun in air and gasped, turning RED as anyone I've ever seen turn red, just about falling over the table. It was SO funny, his mom was even laughing about it.

So maybe wait until he's 12 on that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Columbob, boothwah

More
02 May 2016 23:44 #226811 by Forelle
Replied by Forelle on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
Take a look at Gamewright's selection of games, of which Sushi Go! is one option (although I don't how in to that game a 6-year old will be). They're generally entertaining for everyone (my kids have loved Sleeping Queen's and Frog Juice, in particular), and they're cheap. This will be important after you watch a 6-year old crumple cards, handle pieces with sticky fingers, and otherwise treat a game like a kid treats a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 May 2016 10:52 #226831 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Birthday for a 6 year old

Black Barney wrote: The boy is ready.

If he has a sister, this season isn't a good one for him to watch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2016 11:41 #226836 by Black Barney
no joke, that is 100% what I was visualizing when I wrote the boy is ready. I screwed up the quote, is all.

Love that scene.

More
03 May 2016 12:30 #226846 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Birthday for a 6 year old

Michael Barnes wrote: One of my favorite Atlanta Game Factory memories was when we were playing C&G with this kid who was one of the regulars...his parents would drop him off and he'd play pretty much anything and everything all day long. We had him in a C&G game and he got into an in-game dispute with another player so he is standing up, pointing an airsoft gun (we dispensed with the foam guns and used fake Glocks, Sigs, 45s, etc.- most with laser sights and scopes and shit attached to them) at the other guy. He's all gangstered up, "Put your fuckin' piece down you god damned pussy, I will fuck your world up so sit the fuck down and shut your mouth". We were cracking up- this kid was like 12. He's got his back to the door, and I see his mom come in. She walked up behind him and taps him on the back. He turned around and THREW the gun in air and gasped, turning RED as anyone I've ever seen turn red, just about falling over the table. It was SO funny, his mom was even laughing about it.

So maybe wait until he's 12 on that one.

That's awesome. Years ago, Shelly also told a great story here about kids playing Ca$h 'n Gun$. It's funny, because the game is certainly simple enough for young kids to play, but the combination of the cash and the guns make it feel like very adult subject matter.

More
15 Jun 2017 22:21 #249994 by celticgriffon
One of the very best kids games imo is Monster Factory. Absolutely simple mechanics. Make a monster. When your monster has been completed make a minion. If I recall it's designed by the guy who created Dominion. Crazy tiles are what makes this a hit. I have played this a lot with my kids and their friends. It is exactly what a six yr old would like.

More
15 Jun 2017 22:40 #249996 by Black Barney
Any Y2K solutions too?

More
15 Jun 2017 22:46 #249998 by SuperflyPete
Legos never fail. If you want a game, get that Minotaur Lego board game

More
16 Jun 2017 03:02 #250005 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
I dont think those Lego games are very good to be honest, its not that exciting pieces to build, and the game itself is just a very simple roll and move with fences. Definitely dont get that over Heroscape!

Some recommendations from here are
Looney Quest (that would be my top tip)
King of Tokyo
Diamant
Best Little Treehouse Ever

currently popular with my 6 year old anyway

More
16 Jun 2017 10:11 #250016 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Birthday for a 6 year old
Jeff's suggestions look good. My son just turned six and he's been playing Heroscape since he was five... although we have tweaked the rules and in all honesty I think he basically just likes putting it together. It's the building aspect he loves although we do sort of play it afterwards.

I got my son Bisikle (pretty cheap on American Amazon too) and after playing it a couple of times he declared it the best game of all time... although he was used to Pitchcar, Carrom, Crokinole, Catacombs, Flick em Up ... so he knows how to flick. At his birthday party they played a big game of pitchcar and I saw how horrible the other kids were at flicking... some of them sort of had by the end of the third lap but it takes some time for their little fingers to figure it out. Still though I would consider Bisikle it's easy enough for kids to make tracks, the pieces snap together pretty easily and it's affordable. If you do it though I'd recommend printing out the pre-designed tracks from BGG since the game doesn't come with any info on how to build tracks.

He also loves Dice Masters, King of Tokyo and Luchador. All great choices.

For his birthday party I got him two hundred water balloons (you can fill 33 at a time) and they all dressed up as super heroes. Then I got into a super villain outfit and snuck around the backyard and the kids had to take out the villain. They loved it. The balloons were about 15$ and I had to get soaking wet but the kids are still talking about it a month later. I think it would work as just a gift.. it was a bigger hit than I thought it would be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds