Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

TOPIC: Games as Works of Art

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 11:56 #234134

Michael Barnes wrote:
Have you seen Hit Z Road? Pete just reviewed it for me at MM...they did a really clever thing with it, they made the whole thing look like a midcentury travelling game called Hit the Road but "defaced" in to Hit Z Road. It looks really neat.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with that visual trick they pulled with Hit Z Road. Very clever looking and perfectly ties into the game in a way most games don't even try to. This was gonna be my next purchase before I lost my mind hunting down all the FFG shit that suddenly vanished like a nerdy Alderaan.
  • Egg Shen
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1078
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 13:20 #234144

Mighty Empires was one of my first hobby games and in my pre-teens I remember marveling at the box, wondering what was behind the letters worth fighting for at such a grand scale. It always reminded me of battle scenes hanging up in galleries and in history books.

Come to find out it is striking because because it is an actual piece of art by Albrecht Altdorfer detailing the Battle of Alexander.

• Dr. Lao
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 87
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, Columbob, stoic

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 13:59 #234148

You can see A LOT of the GW style in that painting.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7875

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 14:14 #234153

Yeah, there were a few editions of Warhammer where they leaned that direction. Definitely not World of Warcraft/FFG cartoons, but like a snippet of some old school european painting. I dug it quite a bit as it stood out, but maybe it was too stodgy for the modern audience?

I love this elector count looking dude giving a beastman a point blank face blast of musket.

• Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2568
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2016 14:15 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 17:02 #234169

There are only 2 games I have ever considered buying solely for the art: Scythe and Omen: Reign of War

Games as Works of Art 13 Sep 2016 23:23 #234190

I love the Blood Royale art.

I also think that the City of Chaos art is really well done.

The Ghostbusters board game that came out last year is nice in that it really adheres to the newer comics since they commissioned the same artist to do all the board game iart.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 884

Games as Works of Art 25 Apr 2018 00:26 #270722

Thread necro! With all the KS and golden age of boardgames, I'm sure a lot has flown right past me in the last two years. Which amazingly beautiful games have you seen? If I see a game box with this cover, I sure want to find out what the game is like:
  • Nodens
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 150

Games as Works of Art 25 Apr 2018 08:50 #271298

I agree that most games don't have great art, and we can sometimes fool ourselves about individual games due to nostalgia.

For example, Saltlands has some pretty good art, though maybe not great by general artistic standards:

• Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3704

Games as Works of Art 25 Apr 2018 10:37 #271359

Look at Dreamscape. David Ausloos’ new game (on KS). The art is astoundingly good, and he went back to his roots as a painter. If you don’t know him, he’s an exceptionally talented painter. He is doing some amazing work with a series he’s been working on for a year or so.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Salty AF
  • SMH
  • Thank you received: 4717
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

Games as Works of Art 25 Apr 2018 10:57 #271373

My biggest question with David is who's writing the rules. He may be an excellent painter. I know he's a nice dude. He is not a good writer of rules.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...

Games as Works of Art 25 Apr 2018 15:27 #271537

Michael Barnes wrote:
Mushroom Eaters is even more stunning..

This is the game I immediately thought of when I read the Thread Title. "Stunning" is the perfect word. Not just for the illustrations, but the entire game experience. Truly a Work of Art!
  • engineer Al
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 549
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds