October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Game Buyer Expectations

More
13 May 2017 11:14 #248265 by xthexlo
I'm not sure whether this is a worthwhile post, or whether this is the correct forum in which to place it, but I'd like some clarity on a topic. Specifically, I'd like your opinions regarding realistic buyer expectations from game pre-sales.

Here's the story:
So, I'm preparing to launch a new game. My preferred method is to have the product shipped to the warehouse and let my distributor work their magic and take care of everything. That said, I have had the pleasure of meeting many fine people at conventions, on F:AT, on BGG, etc. who have asked for the opportunity to purchase via pre-order. So, I have obliged. I like to help folks out, so I generally offer free U.S. shipping and discount O.U.S. shipping by what I would pay for a U.S. delivery. I also like to throw in a small goodie when I can: promo cards if the game would support them, player aids, etc. I offered the new game with two player aid cards. I figured if people were interested, they could purchase; if not, that's okay.

The other day, I get a message that basically says, [paraphrase] "Yeah, saw the pre-order, expected more, not sure if player aids will cut it." I thought, [not a paraphrase] "Whaaaat?"

Here's my question:
Are my basic expectation unrealistic? Is a pre-sale supposed to offer special items and gimmicks? Or is this an example of someone tainted by KickStarter who expects everything to come with a special prize? In short: what are realistic buyer expectations?

Thanks for reading. Any comments and thoughts are welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2017 11:38 - 13 May 2017 11:41 #248267 by Black Barney
Not a worthwhile post, no

But yeah why bother doing a pre order unless there is a compelling reason? For sure kickstarter and the video game industry have tainted this but it's still a reasonable expectation to be able to get some sort of perk for giving up money for nothing
Last edit: 13 May 2017 11:41 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
13 May 2017 12:43 #248269 by Disgustipater

xthexlo wrote: The other day, I get a message that basically says, [paraphrase] "Yeah, saw the pre-order, expected more, not sure if player aids will cut it." I thought, [not a paraphrase] "Whaaaat?"

Fuck that person. If you offered the bonus ahead of time, they knew what they were getting. If it was a surprise, any bonus would be great.

I know this isn't on you since people asked for it, but pre-ordering most things is a bad idea. I don't see any benefit to it, except to reward impatience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, xthexlo

More
13 May 2017 13:48 #248271 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Game Buyer Expectations
There are a lot of ways to answer your question, and the answer really depends on who you're trying to sell to. While many on this site are going to look down on pre-orders much like KickStarters (though the two are typically quite a bit different, IMO), someone with an established history of producing games that people like has every right to put up a pre-order as there will be demand. However, probably 75% of your potential pre-order customers *are* going to expect something in return for both fronting you the money and paying MSRP.

There will be a group of fans of your games that will pre-order just because they can. They are either super excited and can't wait to part with their hard earned cash or are happy to support you as a creator by buying anything you produce up front. Some will even relish the opportunity to pay more just to support you. These are not the guys that care about the pre-order perks.

The next group are the people in the board game acquisition hobby, that are part gamers and part collectors, and buy waaaay too many games. As someone that is in the board game acquisition hobby (something I'm not proud of and am working to change, but I can't deny its truth), I fall more into this camp (there are few designers/publishers that I feel the need to blindly support). They have CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market in our bookmark bars and are constantly looking for new things to acquire. As such, they are always looking for value in their purchases. Why pre-order something if I can just wait until it hits retail and save 30%-40%. To attract this type of gamer (like the one that e-mailed you), you need to give them something. Most of the time this is either getting it before everyone else or getting some sort of exclusive promo item. Pre-order is basically synonymous with selling at a Con...typically you're paying MSRP and either getting something first or getting an exclusive promo.

The rest of the groups: the pre-orders are for suckers group and the oblivious to BGG group aren't going to pre-order anyhow, so don't need to be discussed.

So should you be annoyed about that gamer's response to your pre-order deal? Nah, move along. For Bemused (yeah, I know you avoided naming it to not make this an advertisement, but it's not a big secret) you are offering free shipping, the player aid cards, and presumably get it before retail. Many people will be happy with this. Leave it at that. If people want to wait, they can wait. Though honestly, I do think those player aids belong as part of the base game (same for Zimby Mojo and SoM), but that's another story.

Me personally, I'm unsure of whether I'm getting Bemused or not, but figure I'll drop by you booth at GenCon and make my decision there.

More
13 May 2017 14:41 #248273 by SuperflyPete
My expectation is that I get what was offered, described, or depicted. Promos or other goodies are appreciated but not expected.

What game? Options?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, xthexlo

More
13 May 2017 15:25 - 13 May 2017 15:27 #248276 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Game Buyer Expectations
As Super Fly says, realistic expectations are what is advertised.

As far as pre-orders go, I don't expect a whole lot. GMT and MMP do this to gauge interest and demand for games before they are made. I'm cool with that. Especially because they don't actually charge me until the game is ready to ship. So the pre order is really just a "promise" to buy and a promise I'm able to renege on anytime up until I'm actually charged. These two guys give a discount off of retail as well which I appreciate and if there is an expectation of that it's only because that has been their policy for years.

As to the rest, if you are collecting their money before the product is done or ready then I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect something. Promos, exclusive content, a discount on the price, whatever. As to people that get indignant because you aren't offering enough stuff, well as the opening line says, they arent being duped or fooled. You told them what they were getting.
Last edit: 13 May 2017 15:27 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Msample, xthexlo

More
13 May 2017 15:43 - 13 May 2017 15:43 #248278 by xthexlo
Replied by xthexlo on topic Game Buyer Expectations

cdennett wrote: There are a lot of ways to answer your question, and the answer really depends on who you're trying to sell to.

I really appreciate your detailed comment: it was well-considered and well-presented. The plain fact of the matter is this: I'm not trying to sell anything. I am only offering pre-sale as a convenience for the small group that wants to take advantage of it, and only as a response to their request to do so. I think going forward I'm going to just make sure that the pre-sale opportunity is clearly presented as such.

cdennett wrote: I do think those player aids belong as part of the base game (same for Zimby Mojo and SoM), but that's another story.

I understand and agree. But since I self-funded everything, I could not afford the luxury of including them in the base game. So, I offered the PDFs free as after-market player aids and included physical copies with orders from the website.
Last edit: 13 May 2017 15:43 by xthexlo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
13 May 2017 15:52 #248279 by SuperflyPete
The best thing is to not self fund. Kickstarter isn't just a presale site, it's also a built in advertising agency of sorts.

Sell it like you always do, but let them have their 10$ and you'll both have a gauge of interest but you have very little risk, and if you have "stretch" deliverables you can use the price bogeys to produce them and add them into the game.

While I appreciate and admire your commitment to your company's products by funding, using Kickstarter is a no-brainer as long as you can tolerate the 10% or whatever hit they take as the processor/marketplace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stormseeker75, xthexlo

More
13 May 2017 16:12 #248281 by xthexlo
Replied by xthexlo on topic Game Buyer Expectations

SuperflyTNT wrote: What game? Options?

The game is BEMUSED. It's a 4-6 player, 15-30 minute card game where you play muses seeking to elevate your chosen virtuoso to greatness by driving your rival muses' vituosos insane... or kill them. There are a lot of subtleties and nuances to the game, but one nice feature is that you can win regardless of whether you are sane, insane, or even dead. You can find out more about it at boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/217974/bemused .

There are really no options. I was asked by some folks to offer a pre-sale, so now that the game has been manufactured and is preparing to ship from China I have opened pre-sales with free U.S. (discounted O.U.S) shipping and a couple of player aid cards.

More
14 May 2017 10:14 #248296 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Game Buyer Expectations
For me personally, I don't normally do pre-orders (because I don't normally buy things I haven't yet played), but there are two exceptions I can think of:

51st State Master Set: I preordered this from Portal because I'm a huge New Era fan and knew I would get it anyway. It came with pre-order bonuses that I was legit interested in (2 additional factions to play). Also by ordering directly from Portal I knew I was paying more but putting more money directly in Ignacy's hand, and that was worth it. In that case pre-order bonuses were included, but they were clearly identified up front and therefore were expected.

Elysium and Hellas: The expansion for Terraforming Mars. Pre-ordered because I like TM and knew I wanted to get this, so I may as well just go ahead and put the order in and not have to think about it. As far as I know there are no PO bonuses and I don't expect there to be any. This is strictly convenience.

In both cases it wasn't so much that I gotta have em now now now, but just that I know I'm going to get them, so why not place the order and be done with it. Then they show up when they show up.

I can see griping in only two circumstances regarding pre-orders: If something was advertised as being included which wasn't, and if it starts showing up on shelves well before pre-orders were fulfilled. In that latter case, to me, I won't care too much unless it gets ridiculous, but I can understand why others would gripe.

You're right, though, that Kickstarter has taught a lot of gamers that they should get special prizes for pre-ordering a game.

More
14 May 2017 11:11 #248297 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Game Buyer Expectations
[quote="Legomancer" post=248296

Elysium and Hellas: The expansion for Terraforming Mars. Pre-ordered because I like TM and knew I wanted to get this, so I may as well just go ahead and put the order in and not have to think about it. As far as I know there are no PO bonuses and I don't expect there to be any. This is strictly convenience.

[/quote]

Plus the first two printings of the base game sold out very fast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, xthexlo

More
14 May 2017 12:11 #248299 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Game Buyer Expectations
Oh and just a quick word:

xthexlo's themes are the best! Always different. Always interesting. Always cool.

More
14 May 2017 13:27 #248300 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Game Buyer Expectations

Legomancer wrote: For me personally, I don't normally do pre-orders (because I don't normally buy things I haven't yet played)...

Must be nice. If I did this the only new things I'd get to play are soulless cube pushers or co-ops (I'm pretty much the only buyer in my group). I'd have to wait for GenCon or BGG.Con to play something interesting...

Then again, not like I couldn't stop now and just pull something out of the 8x6 Kallax...

More
15 May 2017 08:55 #248320 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Game Buyer Expectations

repoman wrote: Oh and just a quick word:

xthexlo's themes are the best! Always different. Always interesting. Always cool.

Yes. It helps that his games are very good too, including Bemused.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds