October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

FFG GW Breakup FOMO - 1 Year Later

More
14 Sep 2017 17:31 #254260 by ChristopherMD
Some of you may recall that at this time last year we were all scrambling to get whatever FFG/GW games we wanted before they became out-of-print. What did you buy? How much did you save versus buying it now? How many times have you played what you bought? Would you buy at today's prices? Any regrets?

I bought Space Hulk Death Angel and two of its expansions.
$24 for the base game and its on Amazon now for $44.
$11 for the Tyranid expansion selling for $28 on eBay.
$4.50 for Mission Pack 1 expansion selling for $44 on eBay.
So I spent like $40 and it would cost me at least $116 if I wanted to buy it today. I've still never played my copy but it has such a small footprint that as long as I can get my $40 back someday I'm in not hurry to get rid of it.

That was my only FOMO game. I already owned Fury of Dracula 3rd or I would have bought that.

fortressat.com/forum/15-games-catchall/1...-and-ffg-breaking-up

fortressat.com/forum/28-trade-forums/198957-fomogw-trades-sales
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2017 17:38 #254261 by Shellhead
I didn't react to the FFG/GW breakup. I already had the games that I wanted, which was just Death Angel and Fury of Dracula 2nd. No regrets. I played the hell out of both games over the years, and would still be happy to play either one again. I did try Relic about a year ago, and found it to be awful, even worse than Talisman.

You should play Death Angel sometime soon. It's a great game, and you got the two best expansions. Plays just fine solitaire, and also scales nicely for up to six players.

More
14 Sep 2017 19:15 #254262 by ufe20
The only things I bought were the two Relix expansions for about $24 a piece. Looks like they I can get used copies of them for a little more than that on ebay. Unopened ones are obviously a good bit more. I have played the game a few times in the last year, but I don't think I had added the expansion contents in at the time. I like the game and will be playing it for the foreseeable future, so I'm not too disappointed with the purchase.

I already had many of the FFG/GW base games. The only other things I wish I had picked up were the Blood Bowl Team Manager and Diskwars expansions, but since those are both simple, light games that don't come out super often I'm not that upset about it. Certainly not enough to pay the prices I've seen.

More
14 Sep 2017 19:42 #254266 by san il defanso
I already had just about everything I wanted, like Fury of Dracula 3E, all the Talisman expansions, and the WHQ card game add-on characters. The only things I picked up after were from Warhammer Diskwars. I picked up both expansions and actually tracked down another core set as well. I haven't played since then, though that's not really a reflection on the game itself.

More
14 Sep 2017 21:13 #254270 by Sevej
I think I didn't bought anything.

For FFG/GW games, I have Talisman (+Reaper), Warhammer Quest TACG, Warhammer Conquest. Was sorely tempted by Forbidden Stars, but the game is kinda lopsided, with battles being quite involving, and everything else simpler. Runewars's combat probably the most involving system I care to play, and it was balanced by the other aspects of the game.

More
14 Sep 2017 21:50 #254272 by the_jake_1973
I had everything I wanted at the time, but I did do some speculation and made out pretty good with sales of BBTM and WQ Card Game + expansions.

More
14 Sep 2017 22:27 #254273 by Pat II
I thought Forbidden Stars was designed for a couple of expansions that never materialized and that kinda pissed me off. The game feels like its missing an extra layer.

More
15 Sep 2017 09:30 #254291 by fastbilly1
Did not buy Fury of Dracula 3rd, now it is $100ish...but my group that would have enjoyed it has disbanded so its not that big of an issue.

More
15 Sep 2017 10:28 #254294 by Colorcrayons
I still see fury of Dracula at Barnes and noble everywhere.

I didn't participate in the Fear.

Since I permitted it pass over me and through me. And when it was past. I looked behind me to see it path.
Where the fear went, there was nothing. Only better board games remained.

~ Duncan Idaho, saint of yo-yos and potatoes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample, sornars

More
15 Sep 2017 10:58 #254295 by Matt Thrower
The harsh mistress of hindsight is rubbing my nose in the dog shit of GW FOMO.

A picked up the two expansions for Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Which are fun enough, as is Blood Bowl: Team Manager. The trouble is that when you've got over 100 games sitting in the house and reviews to write every week, fun enough isn't fun enough. So they got played a handful of times and now I've forgotten how to play.

I also bought Warhammer: Diskwars and both expansions, all of which are still in shrink.

Nothing that I bought has accrued any value for being OOP.

More
15 Sep 2017 11:01 #254296 by Mr. White
The Foul Play expansion for BB:TM goes for a grip. At least $75 if not more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
15 Sep 2017 16:54 #254317 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: The Foul Play expansion for BB:TM goes for a grip. At least $75 if not more.

Yeah it does

More
15 Sep 2017 17:05 #254321 by southernman
No fear.

More
15 Sep 2017 17:25 #254323 by Michael Barnes
I don't remember what all I grabbed up. But I know that I did not pay over retail for any of it. I think I got the last remaining copy of Foul Play available for under $25 on the planet. That was the last and hardest thing to grab.

I bought the last of the Talisman expansions I had missed, and boy did that pay off. Those later ones, Cataclysm notwithstanding, are some of the most valuable. The POD clamshells are obnoxiously valuable given that they are like a handful of cards and a rule sheet. My Talisman cash-in was about $650, so I am tempted to say that is the big jackpot item. However, I think that value is going to plummet when GW concretely reveals that their edition is the same as FFG's.

I also got the WHQACG expansions and Death Angel expansions from F:ATties...and Fury of Dracula I picked up at retail. Forbidden Stars I found at my FLGS, weirdly underpriced at $65. I really thought that was going to be one of the big ticket items, but I guess that is not the case.

I traded something for CITOW with Shadow of the Horned Rat RIGHT before the announcement, and I think I would up with double the value of what I traded out for it.

Diskwars I traded for...but it has sat unplayed. That game is just doomed to be forgotten.

I regret none of it, it was fun and exciting trying to round up all of this stuff.

More
15 Sep 2017 18:21 #254329 by san il defanso
Seeing Michael's list of all those games reminds me how fruitful the collaboration between GW and FFG actually was. They were routinely some of the best FFG titles every year, and while GW is clearly fine without them it was fun to see their IP leveraged in interesting ways.

FFG is riding the Star Wars Express these days, but it just isn't as good a fit.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds