October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION

More
20 Nov 2017 17:30 #257934 by Shellhead
I understand the concern about the lack of replayability with a legacy game, because replayability is high on my list of requirements for a boardgame. However, in our current saturated gaming environment, if you complete a legacy game as intended, you may end up with quite a few more plays than you normally get from the newer games in your collection.

When I ran my D&D 3.5 campaign, I saved a lot of time and money by making wooden tokens instead of buying and painting miniatures. Even so, I spent a lot of time making roughly 1,100 wooden tokens for my game, along with some larger creature tokens that were strictly on cardboard. And I printed off lots of miniature scale maps created for that campaign, though I used company paper and toner while working at a company that was clearly circling the drain. The campaign lasted four years of bi-weekly sessions, so I may never get around to running it a second time for a different group, even though I still have all those maps and tokens. But we got a lot of play out those maps and tokens, and I may be able to re-use some of those materials someday in a different campaign. Maybe some of these legacy games can still be played after being heavily customized by the original campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 17:55 #257936 by san il defanso
The problem is that the game can't be used by anyone else at that point. It's basically a lump.

More
20 Nov 2017 18:04 #257937 by Ancient_of_MuMu

san il defanso wrote: The problem is that the game can't be used by anyone else at that point. It's basically a lump.

I was happy to turf my completed copy of Pandemic Legacy as it freed up room in the game cupboard.

More
20 Nov 2017 18:45 #257940 by Shellhead
I have heard that Risk Legacy can still be played after completion of the original campaign. Did a brief search on the topic just now and found an awesome quote:

www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2ge...isk_legacy_have_you/

"My friends have over 100 games played on one Legacy board, although they keep changing the game even after game 15. There's now a subterranean faction with its own rules. There are dinosaurs. If you kill more than 15 units in a single battle a Cthulhu Old One shows up and you have to deal with it. There's a moon base, time travel, new event cards they made up, all sorts of stuff. As long as the stuff you add is balanced, you can definitely keep going."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens

More
20 Nov 2017 23:41 #257951 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION
Super 77 and some color prints, and that Legacy board is an all-new PnP project.

It doesn't have to be tossed, just mulched.

(although the crazy 100-game Reddit board sounds like another awesome idea. Legacy fanfic.)

More
21 Nov 2017 08:30 - 21 Nov 2017 08:30 #257959 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION
What's good about the Legacy concept is the ease of storage mid-campaign. Pencil can rub off or you can misplace your copy-printed character sheets. Not so with P:L. And as Shellhead said, the X play limit to me is a strong encouragement to see it through and get more plays than you do out of a lot of games that people purchase. Again Nate, I think your experience is atypical- not only do you prune your collection regularly, but you got to finish the game. Most people's problem is that they don't get to finish it, or that they buy so many games that they don't get around to it, because they're constantly searching for something new.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 08:30 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
21 Nov 2017 09:18 #257961 by Legomancer
when you're done with P:L, recycle it. Either use it for a P&P project or literally throw it in the recycle bin. Who the fuck cares? We throw shit away we don't want to re-use every day. We leave movies and restaurants with nothing to show for it except memories and, in the latter case, actual shit. P:L was fun. Was it a bit scripted? Sure, but so is 90% of other media that people enjoy. Unless you absolutely have to have a "thing" to show for everything you do, I don't understand what the big fucking deal is.

I have a pile of graphic novels I'm happy to give away. I read them, I enjoyed them (or not) and now I'm done with them. I don't need to curate a museum of every piece of media I've ever touched. Some I may read again and I'll hang on to, but the rest have no purpose for me now.

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the concept of a Legacy game. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they're valid. In this case, though, agonizing over what to do with a game that you're done with, is silly. Do with it what you do with every other thing you're done with: get rid of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Jexik

More
21 Nov 2017 10:17 - 21 Nov 2017 10:19 #257965 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: I don't understand what the big fucking deal is.

The big fucking deal is that we consume board games differently, at least a lot of us do. It's the difference between playing games and collecting games. I think most here are fine with using a sharpie on a game board or throwing away inserts when they're in the way, but more than a few of us aren't in the hobby to play, at least not as a first priority. So the idea of discarding a game seems wrong. It's something you put on your shelf as a trophy as much as a resource for a later session.

There's nothing wrong with that, people do it with books as well, where we have an emotional legacy passed down over the last 1000 years as viewing them as precious, hard to replace items. There's plenty of houses with walls of never to be reread books decorating a basement or den.

Given the hard-to-find nature of board games just a few years after their release I think people often look at completed legacy games as "ruined" copies of the original that should be precious, but aren't anymore. A collector's inner voice says keep them in spite of the damage.

I'll admit I was skeptical when Risk Legacy first came out, thinking that people wouldn't go for them, or wouldn't mark them up. But they did.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 10:19 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
21 Nov 2017 10:21 #257967 by Legomancer
Then put it on your shelf as a trophy if that's what you want. I still don't see the problem.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:22 - 21 Nov 2017 10:35 #257968 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION
People have put together Pandemic: Legacy reset kits, but they actually cost more up front than a second game of P:L. You do get multiple resets after you spent $50 or so on a bunch of special stationery, card sleeves, etc. For me personally, my four playthroughs of P:L have cured me of wanting to buy another copy. However, there is some entertainment in watching other players fall in the same traps that you did on your first play.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 10:35 by RobertB.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:35 - 21 Nov 2017 10:50 #257971 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION
Sagrilarius wrote:

The big fucking deal is that we consume board games differently, at least a lot of us do. It's the difference between playing games and collecting games. I think most here are fine with using a sharpie on a game board or throwing away inserts when they're in the way, but more than a few of us aren't in the hobby to play, at least not as a first priority. So the idea of discarding a game seems wrong. It's something you put on your shelf as a trophy as much as a resource for a later session.

There's nothing wrong with that, people do it with books as well, where we have an emotional legacy passed down over the last 1000 years as viewing them as precious, hard to replace items. There's plenty of houses with walls of never to be reread books decorating a basement or den.

I have three copies, now unplayable, sitting on a shelf full of games. I have that den full of books, of which about 3/4 of which I'll never read again. Kindle has kind of broken me of that. If/when I need the space, I'll throw them away.

I know that for me, tearing game pieces up and throwing them away is a little bit naughty. I don't think I'm the only one, either.

Sidebar: Our basement flooded years ago, and it ruined a lot of things. We threw away a ton of stuff that we were never going to use, and didn't cherish. Old bowling trophies, an Atari 65XE and disk drive that was given to me, printouts of old college programming assignments, stuff like that. I'm not the biggest packrat ever, but it's easier sometimes to say, "I might need that someday," than it is to just donate or dispose of something useless.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 10:50 by RobertB.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:42 #257973 by hotseatgames
Anyone who has ever moved, and in doing so, thrown away a ton of shit they never needed, just so they didn't have to move it, will likely say how good it felt to be rid of the junk. Purging can feel better than that warm feeling of knowing you have that thing, somewhere on some shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Gregarius

More
21 Nov 2017 13:35 #257995 by san il defanso
My problem is not that I need to get rid of MY copy. Shoot, I've sold off at least 30% of my collection in the last three months, believe me I have no problem getting rid of games. This isn't some hang up about wanting to keep the game pristine. It's that the whole thing is reinforcing the wastefulness of what is already kind of a wasteful hobby. This is a board game as a consumable item, and making that consumptive nature the front and center.

The ship has sailed and the market has spoken, legacy games are here to stay. But they just aren't what I want out of this hobby anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
22 Nov 2017 08:26 - 22 Nov 2017 08:27 #258034 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Let's Talk: LEGACY EDITION

Sagrilarus wrote: There's nothing wrong with that, people do it with books as well, where we have an emotional legacy passed down over the last 1000 years as viewing them as precious, hard to replace items. There's plenty of houses with walls of never to be reread books decorating a basement or den.

Might be fun to put Plexiglass over a completed Pandemic Legacy board and use it as a topper for a table. Write the team's score in the corner somewhere. Then the MICHAEL BARNES premium table sleeve collection would be complete. I get some percent of the royalties now tho
Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 08:27 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
22 Nov 2017 09:26 #258046 by Shellhead
It might be fun for Risk: Legacy groups to trade finished games with each other, so they can play in an alternate reality version of the finished game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds