October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Best New to You of 2017?

More
21 Nov 2017 10:32 #257970 by Legomancer
We're almost to December. Anyone got a game they'd put up as the best of the year? Either best game produced in 2017 or best game that was new to you in 2017.

This hasn't really been a blow-me-away year. Last year was Terraforming Mars, which is still going strong for us. Nothing has come close to that for me. There's been some stuff I liked okay, but I haven't really found anything that stands out as truly special.

If I had to pick something right now, honestly it'd be Time Stories. That's the game we've had the most fun with, despite it being a weird outlier of what I might normally go for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:40 #257972 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Best New to You of 2017?
I came late to the Terraforming Mars party, so I can count it as New to Me for 2017.

More
21 Nov 2017 10:44 #257974 by hotseatgames
I'd have to say Techno Bowl by a landslide.

More
21 Nov 2017 11:03 #257975 by SuperflyPete
7 Wonders: Played it for the first time this year, wasn’t what I expected. Really liked it with 6.

Mare Nostrum Empires: Fantastic game. Maybe the best combative civ builder I’ve played.

Doom Realm: Free “roll and write” solo game that is exceptionally fun and engaging.

Gang Rush Breakout: Stupid fun that has strategy but isn’t too heavy. Great bits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik

More
21 Nov 2017 11:19 #257982 by stormseeker75
I'll go with one that's way under everyone's radar: Seikatsu. It's a tile laying game for 2-3 players. Pretty good with two. Fabulous with 3. Very simple rules, great mix of tactics, strategy, and messing with your opponents. Plus it's beautiful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
21 Nov 2017 11:28 #257984 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Best New to You of 2017?
The Others: Seven Sins. It's probably too much chrome for a lot of people or too similar to other scenario games, but we've had a great time with it.

Sekigahara. Finally traded for a copy and really enjoyed the few games we've gotten in. The setup seems overly similar at first glance, but there's a lot of variation that the card draws present.

Zimby Mojo. It had a lot more depth than I was expecting and the transformation from a semi-coop to a no-holds-barred slugfest halfway through is excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Egg Shen

More
21 Nov 2017 11:36 #257986 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Best New to You of 2017?
Was Scythe this year or last year? I'm not sure if it's my pick, but it would be in the top 5.

I second the nomination of Mare Nostrum: Empires. I've had a blast with that one every time it's come out.

I also love TechNo Bowl, but I can't get it to the table often enough.

Secret Hitler has been a fun hit, but I'm not sure if it would crack the top 5.

More
21 Nov 2017 12:08 - 21 Nov 2017 12:13 #257989 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Best New to You of 2017?
I wanted to like Secret Hitler, but my single play with seven players fell flat. Most of the players felt they didn't have enough information to do any deductions, so the voting was quick and often perfunctory. Only a couple of fascist agendas got passed, in part because most of the fascist agendas happened to be on the bottom of the deck.

My pick for Best New to Me in 2017 is Saltlands. The visual design is excellent and evocative, and the combination of mechanics is novel, especially the wind movement rules. The road warrior setting has been tragically ignored by most game designers, and Saltlands is a pretty solid game. However, the pace of the game can be a bit slow for the theme, with a bit too much open information on the table and not enough randomness.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 12:13 by Shellhead.

More
21 Nov 2017 12:34 #257991 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Best New to You of 2017?

Shellhead wrote: My pick for Best New to Me in 2017 is Saltlands. The visual design is excellent and evocative, and the combination of mechanics is novel, especially the wind movement rules. The road warrior setting has been tragically ignored by most game designers, and Saltlands is a pretty solid game. However, the pace of the game can be a bit slow for the theme, with a bit too much open information on the table and not enough randomness.

Had me until those last three words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, themothman421

More
21 Nov 2017 13:09 - 21 Nov 2017 16:32 #257992 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Best New to You of 2017?
Top Tier Stuff

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire - This is the game that I'm currently most enamored with. Stunning production, super clean design, fuckery aplenty, and just a tense exciting game each and every time. As someone who had zero interest in the theme, I bought this solely on the strength of the designer. Easily one of my favorite worker placement games and currently my favorite game of 2017.

Dungeon Degenerates - I've already played this one four times since it arrived a couple weeks ago and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite adventure games. The setting of this game is so rich and layered with pure ridiculousness that I can't help but be smitten with it. The rulebook is a touch obtuse, but once you've sorted things out the gameplay is perfect. Adventuring feels dangerous, but your objectives are clear. I like how much freedom it gives you in terms of completing your goals. One of the few games I'd actually considered playing an entire campaign with. This is also the best looking game of 2017.

Whitehall Mystery - I'm a hidden movement junkie and this distilled version of Letters from Whitechapel is a big winner. It cuts straight to the bullshit and the game is exciting/intense from the word, "go". The ruleset is almost at a mass market level instead of your typical hobby game and you could introduce this to anyone. Love it. A no brainer for anyone who enjoys this genre.

Need more plays:

The Thing - I loved this when I played it at the most recent Trashfest NE. It completely nails John Carpenter's "The Thing" in every way imaginable. Dying to try this one again, but it really needs 6-8 people to shine.

Near and Far - This is probably Ryan Laukat's best design. It's mixture of Route Building, Party Assembling, Paragraph Reading, and Exploration feels like the boardgame equivalent of the mighty platypus. I need to play this one a few more times, but my initial exposure to it has been very positive. The world that Laukat has been carefully curating over the his past few games is interesting and filled with wonder.

Wasteland Express Delivery Service - A pick up and delivery game with an evocative setting and interesting mechanics. Initial impression was stellar and I was shocked at how mean and lean it felt. Despite that the game gives you a robust amount of options. A mixture of Firefly with elements of Blackfleet that has been steeped in Mad Max...it's hard to not fall in love. I probably wouldn't play it with more than 3 people, but as a fan of the genre I'm ready to try it again.

Stuff I'm still hoping to play:

Dinosaur Island
Bunny Kingdom
Sidereal Confluence
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 16:32 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, themothman421, hotseatgames

More
21 Nov 2017 13:18 #257993 by hotseatgames
I'm glad that Dungeon Degenerates is getting some good buzz. I backed out of the kickstarter because the campaign felt too sloppy. Good to know they made it.

More
21 Nov 2017 14:12 #257998 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Best New to You of 2017?
TIME OF CRISIS

Deck builder meets war/euro hybrid. Tight rules, plays fast . Check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, ratpfink, Jackwraith

More
21 Nov 2017 14:20 - 21 Nov 2017 14:20 #257999 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Best New to You of 2017?
Very slow year for me. I need to get some balls and join a game group of strangers or something. Probably new to me would be Comancheria. Looks like almost all my plays are this year and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Came back for an encore this fall too.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 14:20 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Nov 2017 14:27 #258003 by SuperflyPete
Saltlands was weak, IMHO, but I get why you like it via your excellent review.

Totally forgot about Zimby. That game had some issues with length but fuck is it fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Nov 2017 14:37 #258004 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Best New to You of 2017?
Gloomhaven and Spirit Island are the big winners for me this year.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds