October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Cruel Shoes: Games you keep buying.

More
20 Jan 2018 22:25 - 21 Jan 2018 09:23 #261589 by Cranberries

Not Sure wrote: And yet, I find myself buying them as a strategic investment in "future me", since they wander in and out of print a lot.

Eklund games are the other thing that I just buy when they're out, because that can be the only chance. Luckily I restrain myself there to mostly Pax games, not all the Bios and High Frontier stuff (shit, I still have a first? edition of High Frontier that I don't think ever got played through a full game.)

What you said about investing in "future me" cuts deep. I keep imagining that either my kids will magically change or I'll run into a group of recently transplanted Ameritrashers on the day my wife is out of town for three days, and we'll break out Zimby Mojo or Pax Pamir. I just need to drive 35 miles to Dan Thurot's group, because they play great games and he is a very good teacher.

I'm drawn to :

The Island of Misfit Toys. That poor broken game with the interesting theme by an independent publisher that can be fixed with a few house rules.

Barnes' hand me downs. He is the Warren Buffet of the Trash market. I keep buying these interesting discards for $20 (it's only $20!) that I can't give away.

My son will play this with me Sure, he's a little aspie, but he's also eighteen and doesn't want to hang out with his parents any more. He did really get into Citadels for a while, so there's still hope, but college is only seven months away. He plays D&D fifth edition with friends at school once a week.

My daughters will play this No, they won't. Unless someone comes out with a Korean soap opera game. Also, my oldest daughter flat out told me that she doesn't like to play games with the family, because we always argue. The same daughter takes off to her friends to play Sherlock Holmes, Dixit and Risk. Traitor. My wife hates games, specifically the mental energy and time I have put into them, and all that resentment bubbles to the surface whenever we play. Plus, she's the player who always says, "You didn't tell me that rule." She also says, "I'm done learning the rules for a game and playing it once." That's not unfair.

Gary Sax loves this game His writing is too detailed and persuasive, and I keep picking up stuff that my brain can't handle (looking at you, Fields of Fire) All of you are too good at talking me into games that don't work for me.

I am kind of an a-hole. I like to think of myself as this happy, laid-back guy, but that guy died a decade or two ago, and I'm really a fifty-one-year-old anxiety-ridden American male who gets pretty snippy and uptight when he plays because WHO KNOWS WHEN I'LL GET A CHANCE TO PLAY AGAIN. The solution is to play more or not at all, I think. Or get therapy.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 09:23 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2018 22:49 #261590 by the_jake_1973
Avalon Hill bookcase games, war games specifically. I know there is a very slim chance any of the ones I recently bought will ever get played, but I love seeing them on my shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Jan 2018 12:45 #261605 by Not Sure

cranberries wrote:

Not Sure wrote: And yet, I find myself buying them as a strategic investment in "future me", since they wander in and out of print a lot.

Eklund games are the other thing that I just buy when they're out, because that can be the only chance. Luckily I restrain myself there to mostly Pax games, not all the Bios and High Frontier stuff (shit, I still have a first? edition of High Frontier that I don't think ever got played through a full game.)

What you said about investing in "future me" cuts deep. I keep imagining that either my kids will magically change or I'll run into a group of recently transplanted Ameritrashers on the day my wife is out of town for three days, and we'll break out Zimby Mojo or Pax Pamir. I just need to drive 35 miles to Dan Thurot's group, because they play great games and he is a very good teacher.

Sounds a lot like me. My older son likes some games, but he's got about a thousand other hobbies competing for time. My younger son gets too wound around the axle in anything stabby. My wife just doesn't give a shit, and it's not something I'm going to argue her into.

The Island of Misfit Toys. That poor broken game with the interesting theme by an independent publisher that can be fixed with a few house rules.

Barnes' hand me downs. He is the Warren Buffet of the Trash market. I keep buying these interesting discards for $20 (it's only $20!) that I can't give away.

Misfit Toys I just don't care about, luckily. I have enough games that work just fine. I haven't bought any castoffs from the Barnes marketplace in a long while either. Diverging tastes have made that easy.

My son will play this with me Sure, he's a little aspie, but he's also eighteen and doesn't want to hang out with his parents any more. He did really get into Citadels for a while, so there's still hope, but college is only seven months away. He plays D&D fifth edition with friends at school once a week.

This one I still get tempted by. It's responsible for Terraforming Mars, which might actually have legs in the house. We'll see.

Gary Sax loves this game His writing is too detailed and persuasive, and I keep picking up stuff that my brain can't handle (looking at you, Fields of Fire) All of you are too good at talking me into games that don't work for me.

That fucking guy! He's responsible for so many of my game purchases, all of which I know are destined to toad up my shelves forever. Frighteningly similar game tastes. On the plus side. we actually play some shit together on Vassal that would otherwise never get played by either of us, so point in favor I guess. (I kid, I kid).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample

More
21 Jan 2018 12:55 #261607 by Gary Sax
Good to know I'm stocking all these shelves with my weirdo shelf toad tastes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
21 Jan 2018 21:36 #261638 by Cranberries

Toads 4 eva
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
01 May 2023 00:17 #339147 by Cranberries

Cranberries wrote:

charlest wrote:

san il defanso wrote: RftG is a great game that I find impossible to teach. No one wants to play it with me, and I managed to land Glory to Rome, which I like better anyway.

You need to try Jump Drive sometime.

geekandsundry.com/settle-the-stars-and-b...tes-with-jump-drive/

Me: Let's get together and talk about the unhealthy side of our addiction.

Everyone: Hey, try some of this stuff. It's pretty good and has a smooth come down.

I love how the price points on these games are such that for only $5.00 you can get the longer, heavier version of the game that you'll never play unless you know a Pete.

I had my buddy teach me Roll for the Galaxy tonight and the curse has been lifted. They also grilled Teo-tip sirloin and made apple crisp. A very nice night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
01 May 2023 09:55 #339148 by Ah_Pook
The expansion to jump drive just came out and is very good. Been playing it a lot again lately.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds