October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Cole Wehrle on the design of Pax: Mouse Guard, Root

More
15 Oct 2018 00:11 #283088 by Not Sure
Don't worry about the Vagabond, he's just a helpful little guy fixing sheds, exploring ruins, and buying surplus items. No problem at all.

Birds have to aggressively put down roosts to score, but they're easily a match for Cat scoring if they do. Cats have to scale three building types to stay effective, while Birds only have the one.

You're definitely right in it on turn 1, since the birds start out concentrated in the corner, and the cats are thinly spread everywhere. Cats just have to expect to pull back a bit and make some room, or they can easily start losing forces faster than they can rebuild them. The Alliance are slow to start, but really hard to get rid of once they dig in. The reverse dice and Outrage mechanic make them very frustrating opponents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, mc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2018 00:14 #283089 by Disgustipater
The poor cats get it from both ends. I'm curious (in general) how soon the birds and Alliance start butting heads? Maybe it just depends on their initial sympathy placement.

More
15 Oct 2018 00:45 #283090 by mc
I thought about it - as the Eagle, have a go at a sympathy token - but the cards really dictate a fair bit, especially as you really have to plan forward a couple of turns with them and hope that draw gives you some options.

More
15 Oct 2018 01:07 #283091 by Not Sure

Disgustipater wrote: The poor cats get it from both ends. I'm curious (in general) how soon the birds and Alliance start butting heads? Maybe it just depends on their initial sympathy placement.

Cats definitely start on the back foot, because they set up overstretched. The first part of the game there is all taking lumps and making hard choices. The action limit is the most frustrating part. Birds and WA grow their action count over time, but cats never do.

I think a lot depends on the relative play styles. In this game, Sax chose his own corner, so until he and the birds grow towards each other, there's not much there. However, I'm sure there will come a time when the bird is stuck with "decree says we battle in Fox, so find someone to beat up!". Might even be my poor woodchuck-looking thing that ends up on the wrong end of that.

But then, that sure limits my incentive to hand out cards from this overstuffed pile I've been carrying around...

More
18 Oct 2018 20:44 - 18 Oct 2018 20:46 #283317 by Gary Sax
Bout to be a big old throwdown. I have no idea who this benefits, though I do not think it is me, since I score no additional points for war shit. It's all sympathy, all the time.

edit: apparently picture is too big. Sufficed to say, lots of dead forest animals soon.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2018 20:46 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
19 Oct 2018 01:16 #283332 by mc
Don't you see, as an Eagle, I MUST fight. It's just what we do. Would you deny the national character? It's inbuilt into the very fabric of our society. You might as well ask a bear not to, well, you know.

Gotta say, I sort of rolled my eyes a bit at the world building nature of all Wehrle's designer diaries. But all of the "cats want to do this" and "alliance wants to do that" is baked so hard in there - and as you said, from the first move - that you don't need flavour text. It just happens.

I have no idea what's going to go down, and still have not near enough of a sense of what the other factions can do in response to my growing avalanche of set moves (I'm about to check the state in a minute), but thanks again for setting this up. It's pretty good ay. (High praise).

More
19 Oct 2018 03:16 #283333 by mc
One turn later.... the tension building...

More
24 Oct 2018 19:14 #284627 by Gary Sax
Not Sure just won the game with some extremely deft play as the vagabond. He managed to get ahold of 3 hammers so he crafted the "kill everything on all mouse cards" card which meant vengeful mice killed tons of buildings and warriors of all factions, earning him a huge number of VP and the win.

Very clever.

More
24 Oct 2018 20:10 #284630 by SuperflyPete

More
24 Oct 2018 20:46 #284635 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I think we talked about it somewhere on twbg... Maybe this thread?

More
25 Oct 2018 00:34 #284641 by Not Sure
It came up very briefly in the Barnes review thread, and I think we all just tuned out the drama.

Revisiting, it's the usual games industry slapfest. It doesn't even have the irony of Martin Wallace losing money in a business deal about economic games.

I don't really need to speculate out loud, but I've drawn my own conclusions about what happened. There's certainly no shortage of unprofessional behavior in this silly business.

More
08 Nov 2018 15:11 #285665 by Gary Sax
We played two games using vassal and we're back down to 3. Anybody want to step in and play the fourth? We're playing using vassal asynch and with the base four sides. Post if you're interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds