October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Boardgames are the new Comic Books

More
06 Mar 2018 11:43 #264673 by Black Barney

dysjunct wrote: I’m wondering if there’s some way to tie a new cryptocurrency to Kickstarter board game futures, in order to take advantage of two classes of morons.

I am in love with you.

I came from another gaming website to this post. On the other site, I was just finishing yelling at a bunch of people talking about how ICOs are the very best hot money investment right now, and how cryptos are going to really take off when they become actual currency to buy things with. I was telling them how volatile and unstable values mean that they can't be used to buy normal goods with any degree of reliability. Cryptos are just pure speculative investment right now and that's it.

People look at the bitcoin bubble as a reason to invest in random ICOs. It's totally insane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2018 18:18 - 06 Mar 2018 18:21 #264742 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: On the subject of used games...used game values have PLUMMETED in general. Largely because so much money is going to Kickstarter, because so much is on the market to spend money on, and also because- here it is again- this generation of gamers is not looking for older titles.

The prices of used games are positively insane.

Earlier this year I went to a local convention and bought Cosmic Encounter plus the Cosmic Incursion expansion for 40€. And you know what? It was literally unopened. I also bought March of the Ants. This one was opened...but unpunched. Two games that were supposed to be used and both were new! Even better, I bought Tragedy Looper with the expansion, again for an absurdly low price. The expansion was still in shrink and the base game wasn't punched, either! The last three "used games" I bought were new! Literally untouched.

And you know what? I might have overpaid! I recently followed a couple local Facebook groups and people are selling Cosmic for 20€. Not kidding, 20€. I'm on the lookout for an English copy to give to a friend.

Again, I think it's positively insane that I can games of the caliber of Puerto Rico, Brass, Pandemic, Netrunner or Cosmic Encounter and the like for 20€. Or even less! You can get Chicago Express, German Railways and Paris Connection for 12€. Pax Renaissance is being dumped as wek speak and I can tell many people bought copies they shouldn't. Ra, Modern Art and the like are sold as worthless filler. Seriously, the local market is flooded with incredible, amazing games that haven't even been touched or if they have, it was with care and quality sleeves. Oh, did I forget to mention the sleeves? A pack costs 3,5€ and you probably need two or three. But if you get a second hand boardgame, you'll have them for free.

Even better, prices will keep going down! There's no way all these people will manage to sell their copies of Blood Rage at 65€ or that the 20 different people in my club buying Twilight Imperium IV will be able to get a fair price for it. It's purely psychological at this point, I seriously doubt Wiz-War is worth more than Cosmic, but it has minis so it feels "wrong" to sell it at dump prices.

--

I'll be honest, this is great for me. I'm able to get a ton of amazing games at a price that would be literally impossible for me to obtain otherwise. Seriously, what shop is going to sell me games for 20€? It's beyond ridiculous.

The only games that I can't get for cheap are some 18XX titles. I got 1825 Unit 2 from a F:ATtie here, but the other two seem impossible to find (would kill for Unit 1). 1856, 2038 and 1870, which spend decades unsold now fetch above-average prices (BGG speculators aside). At least I might get a cheap copy of 1853, that one was never that popular
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 18:21 by Erik Twice.

More
06 Mar 2018 18:54 #264756 by ChristopherMD

Erik Twice wrote: . Ra, Modern Art and the like are sold as worthless filler.

More
06 Mar 2018 19:26 #264764 by Michael Barnes
It’s just like Top 40 radio- anything six months old may as well no longer exist. God damn it I am so happy that I own Ra and Modern Art. I may go buy the new edition of Modern Art tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cropcircles

More
07 Mar 2018 07:20 #264795 by southernman

Erik Twice wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: On the subject of used games...used game values have PLUMMETED in general. Largely because so much money is going to Kickstarter, because so much is on the market to spend money on, and also because- here it is again- this generation of gamers is not looking for older titles.

The prices of used games are positively insane.

Earlier this year I went to a local convention and bought Cosmic Encounter plus the Cosmic Incursion expansion for 40€. And you know what? It was literally unopened....

My God man - what has mainland Europe come to ? !!!! Brexit makes a whole lot more sense now.
I doubt you could buy a used copy of CE base game here for €40.

More
07 Mar 2018 08:42 #264806 by SuperflyPete
Until I can get a copy of Epic Duels or Queen’s Gambit or Broadsides and Boarding Parties for original retail prices you all can slide face first down a hill of diseased dicks ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
07 Mar 2018 14:27 #264914 by quozl

SuperflyTNT wrote: Until I can get a copy of Epic Duels or Queen’s Gambit or Broadsides and Boarding Parties for original retail prices you all can slide face first down a hill of diseased dicks ;)

Cheer up! I haven't played Broadsides but the other two suck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
07 Mar 2018 14:37 #264920 by Black Barney
Uh oh, talking smack about Queens Gambit typically makes a Ken B appear from the wild!

More
07 Mar 2018 14:38 #264921 by quozl
I do love me some Ken B.!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
07 Mar 2018 15:36 #264929 by southernman

quozl wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Until I can get a copy of Epic Duels or Queen’s Gambit or Broadsides and Boarding Parties for original retail prices you all can slide face first down a hill of diseased dicks ;)

Cheer up! I haven't played Broadsides but the other two suck.

He's just trying to throw you off the scent Mister Pete ... or trying to drop the market price for you. Haven't seen B&BP before but you can have the other two for two arms (I need them now) and a leg (spare for any future accidents) ... your nuts are safe,
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
07 Mar 2018 18:17 #264958 by DukeofChutney

Black Barney wrote: Uh oh, talking smack about Queens Gambit typically makes a Ken B appear from the wild!

I have my ultra ball ready, GO Magikarp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Mar 2018 21:17 #264987 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: I miss the days when a Chris Farrell review made you notice a game, not some tweet from one of these board game hucksters grinning about playing some Kickstarter game that is still 6 months from release.

There are a number of game reviewers that I go to who I have read for so many years that I can tell whether or not I'll like a game based on the reviewer's response to the game, even if that response is negative. It's like a very narrow type of psychological profiling that is utterly useless outside this tiny domain. Chris Farrell, Dan Thurot, Barnes, Gary Sax, Pete McSuperfly. I don't trust your recommendations universally, but I've constructed an accurate enough model of your preferences that it doesn't matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, SuperflyPete, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
07 Mar 2018 22:32 #264991 by ChristopherMD
I remember when Chris Farrell's reviews were basically the only ones at BGG.

More
07 Mar 2018 22:49 #264993 by Michael Barnes
The good old days. All these “The Board Game Buddies” video podcasters have likely never even read a Mike Siggins review.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cropcircles

More
08 Mar 2018 11:15 #265029 by SuperflyPete
You’d think they would use their skills to talk about something more interesting or of actual value to society.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds