October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Ain't no drama like Eklund drama

More
22 Mar 2018 23:38 #266219 by Gary Sax
Apparently this is happening?

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1960635/buy-game-asap-may-1st-2018

"It with sadness and some fear that I am informed of Funagain going out of business. Nick and Jeff have been my most enthusiastic supporters. The fear comes from that I have only until May to get rid of the games in inventory. This means over one thousand games of Bios:Genesis, Bios:Megafauna, and John Company will be destroyed unless I can sell them by then, or find a cheap new home. I am already taking a loss on these games, so shipping them again (this will be the 4th time) may not be worth it. So if any of you were contemplating getting any of these fine products, they may not be available after May. Stocks in the rest of the world have run out, so remaining orders from now to the deadline on May 1 will be from Funagain.

News for the Neanderthal 2 /Greenland 3/ and Pax Emancipation. The campaign closed successfully and these products are at the printer (Panda Games). On April 1, I will be offering all 3 games as preorders on my new website run by Ion Games Design. These games are scheduled to start shipping in September, and they will be available in Spiel Messe Essen 2018 as well.

Inventory: I have about 200 Pax Renaissance, 200 Bios:Genesis, 600 Bios:Megafauna, and 300 John Company remaining, mainly in the USA, Australia, China.

You cannot order games any more direct from Funagain. You can only order John Company, Bios:Megafauna 2, and Bios:Genesis 2 from my website: www.sierra-madre-games.eu ."

I am tempted by Bios but I just don't have that kind of money right now. What a super weird situation, though. I mean, I guess I believe it but it's so weird how this shit comes up with Eklund games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2018 08:21 #266224 by BaronDonut
Dang, this is a bummer. The board game ecosystem can feel so developed (with our major companies and kickstarters and review apparatus and whatnot) that it's easy to forget we're basically still in the Wild West when it comes to manufacturing and distribution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2018 09:09 #266230 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: This means over one thousand games of Bios:Genesis, Bios:Megafauna, and John Company will be destroyed unless I can sell them by then, or find a cheap new home.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Black Barney, cdennett, BaronDonut

More
23 Mar 2018 09:38 - 23 Mar 2018 09:39 #266231 by Black Barney
lol, that dog's face is priceless

...unfortunately the dog returned home from the photoshoot on a United flight :(
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 09:39 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, hotseatgames, DukeofChutney

More
23 Mar 2018 10:15 #266234 by Michael Barnes
Sounds like there are plenty of copies to go around to interested parties.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2018 10:42 #266238 by barrowdown
Umm... if I had to quick sell off a ton of inventory, I think I might offer some kind of discount or bundle deal on them. Good luck to him, but if they already had not moved from Funagain what will make them move any faster now.

More
23 Mar 2018 10:52 #266240 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: Sounds like there are plenty of copies to go around to interested parties.

Sounds like there's six copies to go around for each interested party.

I'm concerned Jesus is going to call him home if he doesn't raise a million dollars next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, RobertB, Colorcrayons

More
23 Mar 2018 10:58 #266243 by RobertB
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm concerned Jesus is going to call him home if he doesn't raise a million dollars next.

Is Mr. Eklund borrowing BGG's 200' meeple tower?

More
23 Mar 2018 11:12 #266245 by SuperflyPete
Tanga, MassDrop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
23 Mar 2018 12:21 #266258 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Tanga, MassDrop.

I believe he plans on destroying them not to destroy the brand/appearance of value. If it's like other Eklund games, there will be another edition of each next year.

More
23 Mar 2018 13:26 #266268 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Tanga, MassDrop.

I believe he plans on destroying them not to destroy the brand/appearance of value. If it's like other Eklund games, there will be another edition of each next year.

Are you indicating that his plan is to destroy these copies so that he can maintain prices on copies he pays to print next year? Or are you speculating on the new edition next year?

The inside-baseball aspect of this industry keeps getting weirder. I'm waiting for the day they declare the sale of used copies illegal.

More
23 Mar 2018 13:40 #266269 by southernman
The gist I got from reading the whole thread was that all the games are in a Funagain warehouse in Oregon that they will give up on 1st May and everything will be destroyed because it is not worthwhile to ship them elsewhere due to all the other shipping screw-ups he's had with these games.

More
23 Mar 2018 13:43 #266270 by Space Ghost
If nothing else, it should serve as a lesson in the importance of diversification -- in this case, don't put all your games in the same warehouse with the same distributor.

More
23 Mar 2018 13:59 - 23 Mar 2018 14:00 #266272 by charlest

Southernman wrote: The gist I got from reading the whole thread was that all the games are in a Funagain warehouse in Oregon that they will give up on 1st May and everything will be destroyed because it is not worthwhile to ship them elsewhere due to all the other shipping screw-ups he's had with these games.

Yes, I'm not saying Sag that he's trying to pull a scam or anything. I'm saying he could put them at rock bottom prices now instead of destroying what's left of the inventory but that would lower the perceived value of his games and he'd rather destroy them when time runs out than sell them for 75% off. Which is fine, I'm not complaining, I was merely responding to Pete's comment about blowing them out Tanga style.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 14:00 by charlest.

More
23 Mar 2018 14:42 - 23 Mar 2018 14:45 #266274 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: Yes, I'm not saying Sag that he's trying to pull a scam or anything.

I was more suspicious of incompetence. When it comes to intelligence in the game publishing industry, there appears to be an abundance of scarcity.

I can't see how destroying these and printing more makes sense, in spite of the "perceived value" thing that everyone in the industry has gotten on board with. My only theory is that the entire industry is being tugged towards the Batman strategy -- zero inventory, all products shipped from factory (or temporary facility on each continent), all products paid for in full prior to printing. The expense of a warehouse is no longer an option.

May 1st would be an interesting day to drive out to Funagain's warehouse with an empty minivan.

I'll be curious to know how long "perceived value" remains a part of the boardgame industry lingo. There's an awful lot of choice out there, there's an awful lot of counterfeiters out there, and even my friends that have been die-hard Kickstarter fans are starting to become more reluctant with it.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 14:45 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds