October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Ultimate Podcast Valentines Special with Ubarose!!!

More
06 Feb 2008 00:56 #2005 by Deleted User 1

The Ultimate Podcast Valentines special is Ready for Download!!!

http://www.league-radio.com/

This show features an exclusive interview with Ubarose

And a special session report!!!

Hope you enjoy!!!

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2008 07:37 #2017 by jur
That was fun.

I hope the Roman race game lives up to your session report. If it plays as fast, it might.

More
06 Feb 2008 13:49 #2054 by Michael Barnes
Eh, that game of AM is in dispute...Steve wouldn't let me play the Orc chariot, which I always win with. Alan Moon was in the Elf chariot, no wonder he died. But jeez, all that florid prose, you'd think Weeks has been reading some of that "gothic literature"...

ARENA MAXIMUS is OK...it's kind of stupid, but it can be fun. CIRCUS MAXIMUS is still king.

Great interview Weeks/Uba...I particularly enjoyed the Bourbon discussion.

Am I the only one who thinks the outro music sounds like a cross between Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Baltimora, and Edwin Starr?

More
06 Feb 2008 14:15 #2057 by Deleted User 1

But jeez, all that florid prose, you'd think Weeks has been reading some of that "gothic literature"...

I got one word for you, "Branham"

Man, I taught Steve his first guitar chord!!!

More
06 Feb 2008 21:27 #2118 by ubarose
Steve,

There was some stuff that I wanted to ask you, but never got a chance.

What did your band say when you told them you wanted to record "Cube Confusion" for the podcast. Were they into it or did they think you were a nut or are they just used to you being a nut? Are your band members gamers?

More
06 Feb 2008 21:38 #2119 by Mr Skeletor
Does Steve have a band? I thought he did everything himself via multitrack?

Halfway through, great stuff so far.

More
06 Feb 2008 22:22 #2122 by Deleted User 1

What did your band say when you told them you wanted to record "Cube Confusion" for the podcast. Were they into it or did they think you were a nut or are they just used to you being a nut? Are your band members gamers?

Yes, I have a band, some songs I do record by myself with multitrack.

"Cube Confusion" is actually a song we play called "Baby, I'm Haunted", I just re-recorded the vocals with new lyrics and called it "Cube Confusion" for the podcast. The music is already written for most of the "gamer" or "gag" songs, I just change the lyrics. Songs like the theme to "Mr. Fabulous" are written on the spot, HA!

The guys in the band have never heard "Cube Confusion". They do play games but are not aware of sites like this or BGG.

As I explained on my first podcast, they are members of the "League" but they have no idea they are members. This way I can judge their reactions to games and know they are completely unbiased. They have no interest in the Euro/ Ameritrash debate, kissing up to designers, or being tastemakers, and their opinions are combined with mine to give you a unique perspective on how these games are coming across.

More
07 Feb 2008 22:11 #2229 by vialiy
That session report was hilarious!
Next, you should comment a live game, with some sidekick analyst.

More
08 Feb 2008 03:00 - 08 Feb 2008 07:12 #2246 by KingPut
Great job Uba. I miss mom's bourbon balls. I don't think she used Knob Creek. Probably cheap shit. Jim Bean.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 07:12 by KingPut.

More
08 Feb 2008 09:05 #2253 by ubarose
I like Eagle 10 year for bourbon balls. The flavor assertive enough to cut through the sugar and the chocolate, and it has some fire in the finish. Most of it's flavor, which is kind of fruit and nuts, is in the middle (you probably know the right word for what I am saying), so you get it before the chocolate flavor hits. You don't want the bourbon to bite you as soon as you bite the candy. And you don't want the chocolate to drown out the flavor on the finish.

More
08 Feb 2008 11:38 #2262 by ubarose
Today is Friday, which means the day I make my weekly run to the Packie (New England for liquor store). So I thought I'd add a few more thoughts on the subject of Bourbon.

If I were going to do a bourbon tasting, I would have Knob Creek, Basil Hayden and Eagle.

Knob Creek is smooth and sweet. Sip it, cut it or mix it. You can't go wrong with Knob Creek, although it is not as interesting (complicated?) as the next two.

Basil Hayden is oaky, and smokey and subtle. It's a sipping bourbon. The baby sister of single malt scotch. No water or soda allowed.

Eagle is a good all around cutting bourbon, with lots of flavor and a fiery finish that lets you know you drank something.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Any other bourbon drinkers out there with favorite.

More
08 Feb 2008 12:33 #2266 by grimnir
Another great interview for the Ultimate Podcast. I appreciated hearing about this site's construction, the WBC, and Trashfest.

Not sure that I can get away for Trashfest but I plan on returning to the WBC. Good to know there will be some cool games being played by Ubarose and others when I'm in between wargame tournaments.

More
08 Feb 2008 13:20 #2271 by ubarose
Maybe in between your tournaments we can have a drink together. Did you know that they have a poolside bar? I didn't until Malloc showed it to me last year.

The wargame room is totally intense. I don't have words to describe it. I pop in a couple of times during my stay just to stand on the raised area by the steps and look over that scene.

More
11 Feb 2008 12:44 #2398 by grimnir
ubarose wrote:

Maybe in between your tournaments we can have a drink together. Did you know that they have a poolside bar? I didn't until Malloc showed it to me last year.

The wargame room is totally intense. I don't have words to describe it. I pop in a couple of times during my stay just to stand on the raised area by the steps and look over that scene.

Getting a drink would be cool, although I'll take a beer to your bourbon. :-) I noticed the poolside bar last year but I actually didn't leave the building at all from Thursday afternoon through Sunday -- too much gaming to be done.

I actually spent most of my time in the open gaming room (which needs to be bigger) playing various wargames and a game of Cowboys, although my buddy and I kicked things off on Thursday with Marvel Heroes. I've since played Arkham Horror (great game) and will be learning/playing Starcraft and TI3 before the upcoming WBC.

More
11 Feb 2008 20:58 #2456 by bobby_5150
Steve that was a great interview. You really shine when you do a serious interview, no bullshit, no whining, just good questions. Keep up the good work.
Uba, glad to get to know you better.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds