October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The dumbest time you got rid of a game?

More
02 Jun 2018 02:20 - 02 Jun 2018 02:36 #274501 by JMcL63
I was having a major clearout of shelf toads the other day. I just got the house clearers in and had them take away my pile of wargames that been gathering dust since I bought them in my first rush of enthusiasm on my return to the hobby. To say these guys were slapdash would be to ignore how thorough they were: they just took out big black bags and piled all my once-precious games into their capacious maws. I was so taken aback at their speed that I almost failed to notice my Combat Commander going in too. That was averted, fortunately. Unfortunately it was only the following day, when Adam asked, that I realised that they'd taken my complete Up Front. Gah!

The only consolation is that I haven't got UF to the table in years, and it was highly unlikely to get past CC and GWC anyway. But that game was a keeper, and I've lost it.

What's the dumbest way you've got rid of a game you really wanted to keep?
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 02:36 by JMcL63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2018 06:59 #274504 by stormseeker75
Without a doubt, it's Queen's Gambit. It was bought as a wedding present for my first marriage. When I got divorced I sold it. I should not have sold it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
02 Jun 2018 09:00 #274506 by Josh Look
I sold the old Doom with the expansion to Billy Zavos for $30 or something dumb like that. I can’t stand the game, but I could have made so much more at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JMcL63

More
02 Jun 2018 09:07 #274508 by Erik Twice
I got ripped-off when I first sold my Magic cards. I should have taken my time and sold them one by one. I also sold a couple cards at a local shop at lower prices than another shop, because I didn't say no when I should have.

But hey, I was a kid, internet trading was unknown back then and I had little experience in selling and trading. And I think it was a good thing I wanted to sell my cards and leave Magic so...
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, ufe20

More
02 Jun 2018 09:17 #274509 by Legomancer
getting rid of a game is always the right move
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Msample, Black Barney, Frohike

More
02 Jun 2018 10:01 #274513 by hotseatgames
I sold the Conan KS for way too little. By the time I got done paying all of the fees, I probably broke even.

More
02 Jun 2018 10:02 #274514 by Shellhead
I have collecting/hoarding tendencies that I have struggled with for years, and now it's worse since my girlfriend moved in with me because she is just as bad. So it is pretty rare that I have ever gotten rid of a game, and only when somebody else wanted one of my shelf toads. Even then, it was only tolerable because I knew that they would enjoy it more than I would.

The dumbest time was Black Morn Manor, only because I insisted that I wouldn't sell the game for more than $20, even though the buyer insisted that he should be paying double. We were friends, and I don't look to make profits off of deals with friends. We have since lost touch, but only because that gaming group drifted apart. And the regret is not so much for getting rid of an interesting but definitely flawed game, but because an even closer friend expressed interest in buying it a year later. He ended up paying a premium for it at BGG, playing it a couple of times, and realizing why it was a toad.

Black Morn Manor is horror-themed boardgame. One player starts out serving a random big bad, and stocks the card deck for the game based on the appropriate card numbers for that big bad. The rest of the players start at the opposite end of the board, playing good guys who are trying to discover the identity of the big bad and defeat him with the appropriate weapon from the card deck. Both sides gradually explore by playing down location tiles to eventually make a 7 x 7 tile grid. The twist is that some tiles are inherently more good or evil, and passing through them can eventually cause a player to switch from good to evil or vice versa. This sounds cool, but can make the game interminably long, with players often forced to switch sides just before they win. It's like a long football game with no clock, and players switching jerseys from time to time, because you only win if you take the weapon to the opposite team's uh endzone. The good guys, whoever they may be, have an advantage in that they can win a co-op victory. Each bad guy can only win a solo victory, so there is some infighting on the evil side.

More
02 Jun 2018 11:25 #274520 by ThirstyMan
My employers offered me company accomodation as opposed to $2000/mnth rent on the private market. That's a big pay rise.

Downside is the apartment is very small. We have no sofa or TV in the front room just a table for my wargaming and PC monitor. There are two bedrooms and a tiny kitchen. However, power and water are free (as they were in the other apartment).

Many trips to the skip later, I threw nearly everything out. No point selling it, shipping is too high from Kuwait. I kept all my ASL stuff but chucked out loads of other stuff. Still have 5 bookcases filled with games.

Tried not to throw out any quality books because books are better than games.

Hopefully will get a bigger apartment when we finally leave this place to retire in about 5 years (well that's the plan)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, JMcL63

More
02 Jun 2018 12:14 #274524 by Black Barney
Settlers of Catan. I got the 5-6 player expansion, which I liked, and then Cities and Knights, which I didn’t like. So I got rid of it

I miss playing the base version. I played twice in February after years of not going near it and yeah, I feel dumb for getting rid of it

More
02 Jun 2018 17:10 #274536 by Chaz
When I split up with my previous girlfriend, I was moving from a shared apartment to a one bedroom I could afford on my own, so quite a bit smaller. I didn't have room for 130 games, so I made a stack of about 30 or so keepers, and called my buddies over to have their picks of the rest. I said that the catch was I could request them back. I think I only wound up doing that twice.

One of the games was Starcraft. I never super loved it, but I could sell that sucker for quite a bit these days. I'd ask for it back, except I know the new owner plays it, so I haven't.

I also wound up giving away a tub containing a good five Heroscape base sets and a ton of expansions. I think that went to a friend's wife who was going to bring it to a school she worked for. I have no idea how that worked out, since she doesn't work in education anymore, but I super wish I still had all that.

More
02 Jun 2018 18:29 #274538 by southernman
Probably Starcraft + expansion, at the time no one I played with was into it and the extra cash was more worthwhile, wasn;t expecting it to go OOP but I suppose I do have Forbidden Stars now. Also the original Buffy game, didn't have much opportunities for gaming and wasn't in a happy place at the time so sold a lot of games.

More
03 Jun 2018 11:51 #274556 by Jexik
I traded all of my Descent 1E stuff (basically everything but Road to Legend and some extras) for Avalon Hill Nexus Ops just months before FFG announced 2e and their Nexus Ops reprint. Only dumb from a $$ perspective, game-play-wise I probably still wouldn't have found time for Descent 2e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JMcL63

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds