October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Board Game Book!

More
05 Jun 2018 06:58 #274691 by Matt Thrower
So this is grotesque self-promotion, but I've gotten involved in a project that I'm wildly excited about. It's essentially a tabletop gaming annual: a lovely, shiny hardback book covering all the most interesting releases of the year across the hobby.

As well as a run-down and reviews of the games in question, it's also going to have lots of related feature style content such as interviews and analysis. Plus lots of delicious photography, coffee-table book style.

The folk involved in this had a meet up recently and they're all amazingly talented and enthusiastic people, apart from me, obviously. But because they're all freelance, we're having to do this via kickstarter. We can't do it without your help.

If you like the sound of it, please check out the campaign, and share it if you can?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/125394412/t...e-years-greatest-gam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Legomancer, Jackwraith, Colorcrayons, engelstein, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2018 08:28 #274696 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic The Board Game Book!
I'm in. Great team behind this and I trust the content will be great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
05 Jun 2018 08:57 #274700 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The Board Game Book!
I'll only back it if I get to write a chapter.

More
05 Jun 2018 09:01 #274702 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Board Game Book!
First, it is awesome to finally hear your voice, and you sound exactly like I'd imagined, so I don't have to go back and rethink all the posts I've read of yours in a different voice.

Second, it was almost impossible to watch that video because of what might be the worst 8-bit soundtrack in the history of music. Holy Christ in Heaven was that grating.

More
05 Jun 2018 12:51 #274733 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic The Board Game Book!
Backed only because i believe such a resource is a worthwhile endeavor.

I don't buy games, and don't belong to a culture anymore that consumes games for the sake of it, which I believe to be the target demographic for such a work.

Personally, (take this for what it's worth) I'd rather see a publication that extolls the virtues of types of games already published. The best of Thematic Games, the best of Abstract Games, etc. Then augment those with periodic publications.

I say this because while the industry is booming, I feel the "best of 2018" for example, will be glossing over a myriad of trifling titles with maybe one or two that stand out which will endure the test of time.

Or to be more succinct, the best a particular year of dross thrown at consumers has to offer.

Sorry for the cynicism. Again, I feel this effort are worthwhile and admirable and hope such a work becomes the defacto choice of the masses for reference sources.

More
05 Jun 2018 13:45 #274738 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Board Game Book!
Just make sure to request Seal Team from WizKids so it can be included.

It’s definitely different.

More
05 Jun 2018 15:16 #274749 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic The Board Game Book!

Colorcrayons wrote: Backed only because i believe such a resource is a worthwhile endeavor.

I don't buy games, and don't belong to a culture anymore that consumes games for the sake of it, which I believe to be the target demographic for such a work.

Thanks for backing.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd echo a lot of your concerns about the state of the market. But I never really thought about it being the target demographic - although you might well be right. I felt it was more about a record, a reference, a snapshot of the state of the industry at a point in time. Something that - like the annuals of the past - you might go back to and think "yes! I remember that. That was really great".

While one such book might not feel like that, Owen would like these to become a regular yearly thing. And if you end up with five or six of them on your shelf, then perhaps they might.

More
05 Jun 2018 16:27 - 05 Jun 2018 16:28 #274761 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic The Board Game Book!

MattDP wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Backed only because i believe such a resource is a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks for backing.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd echo a lot of your concerns about the state of the market. But I never really thought about it being the target demographic - although you might well be right. I felt it was more about a record, a reference, a snapshot of the state of the industry at a point in time. Something that - like the annuals of the past - you might go back to and think "yes! I remember that. That was really great".

While one such book might not feel like that, Owen would like these to become a regular yearly thing. And if you end up with five or six of them on your shelf, then perhaps they might.

Possibly silly question, shows you how much we actually don't know about the US, but do they have (or had) the hardcover 'annuals' that have been traditional in the UK from the 60s,70s,80s,90s ?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 16:28 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds