October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Box Inserts

More
20 Jun 2018 10:15 #275809 by Shellhead
Box Inserts was created by Shellhead
Which of your games have the best box inserts? Which have the worst? How do you deal with expansions? What have you done to improve storage within a given game box?

The best that I have seen is Room 25 Ultimate. The plastic tray insert has the perfect place for every component, and groups all related tokens and minis together per player. So if you are playing the blue character, the blue tokens are easily stored right next to the blue miniature. The only downside is that the box is much bigger than necessary, even taking into account the big insert. Most of the Gale Force Nine games have inserts that are just right, aside from storing various card types in the same stack.

Most of the older games in my collection have no inserts, so I had to get a bunch of baggies to sort out all the separate types of tokens. Battle for Rokugan is a recent acquisition with a disappointing insert. Everything fits perfectly when you first open the box. But there are seven factions, with two types of tokens that don't belong together, so you need to add 14 baggies. And while the box was fine when all the tokens were still on sheets, once punched and baggied, they become too bulky for the box. I haven't played Space Hulk in a long time, but that was another game that never fit nicely in the box again. The minis just become too bulky once assembled.

With expansions, I try to get everything to fit in the base game box if possible, but will often be forced to use at least one expansion box for the overflow. I will reluctantly take out an insert if that helps fit more in the box, but I keep all those inserts in case I should ever try to sell a game. I try to avoid plano boxes, but Arkham Horror really needed one to corral the various tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2018 10:41 #275812 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Box Inserts
I don't think any of my games have the box inserts. I almost always toss them right away, baggie the tokens/cards/pieces, and have had no regrets. If someone doesn't want to buy my used game because its missing the box insert that's okay because someone else will buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
20 Jun 2018 10:46 #275813 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Box Inserts
I always appreciate a well designed insert.
Not many games come with them anymore though. :/
I seem to recall a ravensburger worker placement game called Arkadia had a great insert. But come to think of it, ravensburger puts a lot of thought into their products, so that's to be expected from their productions.

From my own.collection, I'd have to say Claustrophobia has the best insert. I don't worry about the expansions for it because I sold them as the game is better without them.

Lords of waterdeep is the same way. Great insert. Though sadly if you sleeve cards it turns into unusable garbage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
20 Jun 2018 10:48 #275815 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Box Inserts
I think my favorite insert is this one for BLACK FLEET. It not only fits everything nicely, but also gives you that cool "piratey" Skull and Crossbones thing:

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig

More
20 Jun 2018 11:01 #275817 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Box Inserts
I throw many of them away. Earth Reborn has a nice insert that I found useful enough to keep. As mentioned, the Room 25 Ultimate insert is nice, although I usually find that a token or two has bounced out of its area.

More
20 Jun 2018 12:00 #275820 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Box Inserts
It's baggies for me as well. I see no value in spending cash on an insert.

More
20 Jun 2018 12:26 #275824 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Box Inserts
How about the Gamemasters series boxes Fortress America and Shogun with their polystyrene trays for all the components, they are brilliant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Colorcrayons

More
20 Jun 2018 13:31 #275829 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Box Inserts
Back when I was a kid, the RISK insert was great. It laid out little right inserts to put the 6 coloured boxes.

When i got a little older, I used to hide my stash of condoms under the box insert. I of course forgot about it and then years later my sister found it.

As much as I hated Dominion, i thought the box insert was pretty clever and useful.

Buck Rogers had really fun styrofoam inserts for all the various factions to put their troops and it was always a joy to open the box and see it all laid out.

hey look everybody, i'm making a board game post
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, stormseeker75, engineer Al

More
20 Jun 2018 13:39 #275831 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Box Inserts
Where is Barney and what have you done with him?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
20 Jun 2018 14:46 #275843 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Box Inserts

Black Barney wrote: hey look everybody, i'm making a board game post

Yet still, somehow found a way to mention condoms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75, san il defanso, Josh Look, Colorcrayons

More
20 Jun 2018 15:01 #275845 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Box Inserts
The one for Fate of the Elder Gods was perfect. It fit everything in the base game nicely, although the Elder Sign tokens had to be tossed in with the Fate figurines. But all cards could be appropriately stacked together and there were spots for each of the four cults, as well. it was great. And then I picked up the Beast from Beyond expansion... That was the end of that insert.

I agree with Southernman that the MB gamemaster games had great inserts, back in the day. Otherwise, I usually just dispense with all of them, since I'll almost inevitably pick up an expansion, as with FotEG, and they'll become useless.

More
20 Jun 2018 15:03 #275846 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Box Inserts
Inserts that aren't custom are totally worthless and should be recycled. They are a waste of time, money, and materials.

But I do like the ultra custom inserts a couple of games have. Like the ones in Mechs vs. Minions, Wasteland Delivery Service, and Grimm Forest.

I remember back when I got the original German Elfenland...it blew me away that it had a custom insert with a space for each elf boot.

More
20 Jun 2018 15:13 - 20 Jun 2018 15:15 #275848 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Box Inserts
Firefly is probably my favorite game of the last 10 years, and I ponied up for one of those wooden ones. Not the insane Broken Token one, but a smaller one, don’t remember where I found it. The thing is a godsend, I love it. I still have to keep the boards in one of the bigger expansion boxes, but everything else is in the base game box. You can just take the inserts out, put the boards on the table, and you’re mostly ready to play.

For all the bitching about dumb shit like not enough room for sleeved cards (spit) and no solo play (spit) the people do on BGG, you’d think they’d be kicking up a veritable shitstorm over how inexcusably bad FFG’s inserts are.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 15:15 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 Jun 2018 17:18 #275861 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Box Inserts
Well, if youre gonna make an isert that fits cards, you may as well be inclusive as possible and fit sleeved cards while you're at it...

More
20 Jun 2018 20:42 #275868 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Box Inserts
There is a reason zip lock bags were invented people.

Also GMT counter trays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds