October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What KICKSTARTER(s) are you WATCHING GO COMPLETELY OFF THE RAILS?

More
18 Jul 2018 11:08 #277821 by Legomancer
In case you haven't heard, here's the story of the CMON-esque (big box of minis) board game KS that has it all: a plagiarized rulebook, company bio and terms of use copied word for word from others, creators of unclear origin, creators going missing, "first created", late and iffy gameplay videos, no indication of how the game will be produced, bizarre responses to those problems, oh, and also a plagiarized company logo.

atgn.com.au/overturn-rising-sands-kickst...-still-track-funded/

Nevertheless, it's still 3x funded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 11:13 - 18 Jul 2018 11:14 #277822 by hotseatgames
How people haven't completely canceled is beyond me. There is simply no reason to take a chance, with so many other projects they could back.

What's up with those double-stack bases on the figures?

Also, if Kickstarter actually lets this go on, they are complicit.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 11:14 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Jul 2018 11:13 #277823 by SuperflyPete
I was watching this slow-motion-trainwreck and laughing until I saw how many suckers are buying into it.

Now I realize that it’s actually a slow-motion-trainwreck whose cargo is made entirely of flaming dumpster fires, and the dumpster fires are fuelled with cat shit

More
18 Jul 2018 11:54 #277826 by Legomancer
I hope this disaster will not harm the reputation of Big Pile of Minis With Vague Rules games

More
18 Jul 2018 12:14 #277827 by Shellhead

More
18 Jul 2018 12:22 #277830 by boothwah

Legomancer wrote: I hope this disaster will not harm the reputation of Big Pile of Minis With Vague Rules games

Even if it does, they can always get another game funded as long as they slap C'thulu on it and throw some plastic in there.

More
18 Jul 2018 13:11 #277832 by Frohike
So anyway... enough about this steaming pile of shit.

Anyone interested in the new Lacerda design coming up, Escape Plan?

More
18 Jul 2018 13:19 #277833 by fightcitymayor
Wow, KS actually seems to be doing something about this particular shit-show:

Funding Suspended
Funding for this project was suspended by Kickstarter 10 minutes ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
18 Jul 2018 13:35 #277834 by Colorcrayons

hotseatgames wrote: How people haven't completely canceled is beyond me.

Because P.T. Barnum was right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Jul 2018 13:43 #277835 by Sagrilarus
Wow, that's a great looking game. Do you think they'll open it back up again?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer

More
18 Jul 2018 13:48 - 18 Jul 2018 13:53 #277837 by Gary Sax
I hope so. I'm very excited about the definitely real miniatures.

edit: to add something to the conversation, can you imagine being a board game news outlet these days? Or one of the heroes specifically focused on kickstarter? Ding and Dent had someone on from I think Dice Tower who handled their kickstarter coverage. What a miserable job. Like, super valuable and I'm sure in high demand, but having an explicit job of parsing and covering kickstarters and new kickstarters sounds like a level of hell to me.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 13:53 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Colorcrayons

More
18 Jul 2018 14:47 #277842 by fightcitymayor

Gary Sax wrote: edit: to add something to the conversation, can you imagine being a board game news outlet these days? Or one of the heroes specifically focused on kickstarter? Ding and Dent had someone on from I think Dice Tower who handled their kickstarter coverage. What a miserable job. Like, super valuable and I'm sure in high demand, but having an explicit job of parsing and covering kickstarters and new kickstarters sounds like a level of hell to me.

But you're looking at it the wrong way 'round: The modern board game press doesn't critique, or analyze, or parse anything. 21st century bloggers and online nancies simply function as avenues for the regurgitation of corporate press-releases. Sure, there are some enthusiast sites that attempt to cut through the KS nonsense, but why bother when all potential buyers are seeking is another voice that simply says, "Yeah, super great game! Looks awesome! Insert take-my-money GIF here!!!"

Actually sorting through the realities of a KS game is far too time-consuming and fraught with effort. Much easier to simply declare them all awesome ways to spend your cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb

More
18 Jul 2018 15:11 #277846 by SuperflyPete
Reviews (from a reader/watcher standpoint) were never about reading truth. They were always about validation of consumers' desire to get X product, and the "Thumbs Up" is kind of like getting permission. "Insert Name Here" said it was good so I felt pretty strongly that it would be a good fit.

Plus, most people I know have games they've never even played. Legions of them. Most of the games that did get played have been played either once or a handful of times. So, it's not about quality, it's about NBS* and the inexplicable desire for more shit on the shelf. It's not the reviewer's fault, either, it's the hobby's societal contract that new games must always be learned (ruleswise) and played, and then a new game next time. Maybe the hook is "learning"? Maybe that's what drives them? Or maybe it's the act of punching and looking inside the box, based on the insanely popular UNBOXING.

This is going to be kind of fucked up for me to say, but I only want legit players to buy my game. I don't want to see "Played Once" on some geekauction two months from now. I'd rather not sell a copy than have a copy be played once. The game isn't made for that kind of mentality. A lot of time went into balancing scenarios and building maps. Playing it once and saying "Oh, we loved it" and giving an 8.5 rating doesn't mean dick to me if there's not people actually loving it enough to write me a year from now and saying, "WE BEAT MAL O'DORUS + C.R. OTCHRAUT". For me, that's the payoff. I want to see some video reviewers doing reviews and not feigning delight...I want to see them high fucking five after making a 2-rail kick shot with a pistol that tags a Tango in the face. Everything else is bullshit. (Also, I think I just basically ended my chances at ever having another game made by a publisher with that diatribe)

*NBS: New Box Smell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jul 2018 15:22 #277847 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: I hope so. I'm very excited about the definitely real miniatures.

edit: to add something to the conversation, can you imagine being a board game news outlet these days? Or one of the heroes specifically focused on kickstarter? Ding and Dent had someone on from I think Dice Tower who handled their kickstarter coverage. What a miserable job. Like, super valuable and I'm sure in high demand, but having an explicit job of parsing and covering kickstarters and new kickstarters sounds like a level of hell to me.

Tell me about it. Way back when, I used to receive maybe 10 emails a month total from the various established publishers and distributers announcing and listing their upcoming games. Ken and I would go through them and pull out the ones that seemed interesting to our audience and we'd publish the new and upcoming game announcements. If I had any questions, I could contact the publisher or sometimes even the designer directly to get more information. Easy peasy leamon squeezy.

Then Kickstarter came around and it all went to hell. Not only did we get spammed with all kinds of lame games, I had go hunting through Kickstarter to find ones that might actually be interesting, but also didn't want it to appear that we were endorsing any of them. Eventually, we just had to give that up. It was just too much work.

Asmodee bought up all the publishers, so we lost that direct contact with those publishers.

Finally, the cherry on the top, is every successful Kickstarter = a new tiny publisher. It's impossible to even track them all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
18 Jul 2018 15:59 #277850 by hotseatgames
I appreciate Pete's sentiment, but I don't care if people buy my game and set it on fire, as long as they buy it. And I don't say that from a capitalism point of view; if enough people buy it, I get to make an expansion, theoretically. And I want to do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, cdennett, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds