October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW double profits in a year

More
02 Aug 2018 08:38 #278995 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic GW double profits in a year
I've seen all the minis above and they really not as good as GW's, especially the newer stuff. They are just not as sharp.

I've worked with Perry's. Their realistic nature means less extreme ends and edges. Weapons mix can be confusing.

Infinity... Don't think they are cheaper. Just because you have less minis to purchase doesnt make it cheaper.

And yes, customization is worth it.

The only non GW kits that I am interested these days are Oathmark kits. Looks great, cheap, plenty of options. If a little bit generic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 11:50 - 02 Aug 2018 11:50 #279022 by barrowdown

MattDP wrote:

Sevej wrote: If they are absurd, how come there's no competitor of just about the same quality and lower price?

Wyrd Miniatures do some great stuff for Malifaux and Dreamforge, which isn't cheap but it's still cheaper than GW.

Wyrd is cheaper than GW? As far as getting a whole playable force, yes, I totally agree, but their individual figures are on par or more expensive than GW equivalents. Guild Rifleman are $7/each, which are a similar sculpt to Skitarii at $3.90/each. Even the Brotherhood of the Rat set (their cheapest $/mini at $4.15/each) needs to rely on tiny rats to bring down its average cost. Outrageously expensive units like the Varanguard ($33/each) are still in line with the Wyrd equivalent (riders at $35/each).

Corvus Belli's line for Infinity is arguably even better and it's even cheaper.

Infinity's best $/mini is probably the Tohaa starter at $5.55/each, which includes no TAGS or other large minis. Again, playable force? Yes, it's cheaper. But on a mini basis? GW is not very much off the mark.

Historicals are generally much cheaper because of the competition available as none of it is covered by intellectual property other than the specific sculpt.

I have Wyrd and Corvus Belli figures and they are both generally very good to excellent sculpts and detail. However, the quality of the figure is generally less than GW. GW figures are sturdy and extremely well engineered. Wyrd and CB are generally at the fragile end of the spectrum when you get away from basic line troops and the engineering is just not on par as both are much more difficult to assemble than a similar GW figure. I'm leaving aesthetics out of this because to each their own.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 11:50 by barrowdown.

More
02 Aug 2018 13:23 #279032 by boothwah
You know - I am so much happier now that I am not in banking anymore - I've been combatting what years of being a lending officer has instilled in my character and world view. Your job as a loan officer is to write up all the ways a deal could go wrong and then make the argument for why we should do it anyways. I look at how everything can break first, I guess. My wife says it is not an endearing feature.

Anyhoo, profits / sales volumes are meaningless without CoGs and expenses lined up on the other side of the column. You can't tell the whole story without the whole story - but who wants to read an Income and Balance sheet? I remember one company a while back that I worked with that was trying to sell their business. Two straight years they pulled all kinds of gimmicks to increase profit - registering pre-orders as sales without incurring any of the COGS accounting until the product is delivered (also creating a problem when about 7-8% of those sales didn't complete the next year) creating a nice end of year bump, but it led them to take on even bigger contracts (with smaller margins) the next year to try to keep end of year numbers from dropping....Third year was the hangover - had to refinance and suck equity out of the building to cover the losses they took on the bad contracts to inflate the year end numbers, and got a nice loss to carry forward for probably 3 years on taxes.

it didn't change a lick of what we did, because the lenders work off of cash flow - You can do all kinds of stuff on the balance sheet and the income sheet, but you can't manufacture cash out of thin air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds