October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Economist article on Games Workshop, boardgames, and gaming culture

More
More
12 Oct 2018 01:01 #283002 by WadeMonnig
Best part of the article was the print title "New Model Armies"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2018 07:41 #283007 by stoic
Way back when I was working toward a degree in economics, The Economist was once an essential recommended subscription whether you were interested in politics, economics, and/or political economy. I continued my college subscription of The Economist for years thereafter and enjoyed reading it. However, something changed and it turned to crap, which is why I dropped my subscription.

I would have expected better writing and analysis from The Economist, but, now, print media is dumbed down to nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Msample, Colorcrayons, sornars, Erik Twice

More
12 Oct 2018 08:18 #283008 by Black Barney
I mean the sub headline is, « as nerds have got richer, nerd culture has grown ». How lazy do you have to be if this is what you come up with?

It doesn’t get better after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig

More
12 Oct 2018 11:57 #283018 by Sagrilarus

stoic wrote: Way back when I was working toward a degree in economics, The Economist was once an essential recommended subscription whether you were interested in politics, economics, and/or political economy. I continued my college subscription of The Economist for years thereafter and enjoyed reading it. However, something changed and it turned to crap, which is why I dropped my subscription.

I would have expected better writing and analysis from The Economist, but, now, print media is dumbed down to nothing.

They're more or less writing click-bait, and not just subject matter. It actually hurts their bottom line to write a longer more in-depth article because they don't get additional ad impressions for the additional time the customer spends reading it. It's just the nature of content on the web and it appears to be getting worse.

More
12 Oct 2018 12:10 - 12 Oct 2018 12:11 #283020 by sornars

Sagrilarus wrote:

stoic wrote: Way back when I was working toward a degree in economics, The Economist was once an essential recommended subscription whether you were interested in politics, economics, and/or political economy. I continued my college subscription of The Economist for years thereafter and enjoyed reading it. However, something changed and it turned to crap, which is why I dropped my subscription.

They're more or less writing click-bait, and not just subject matter. It actually hurts their bottom line to write a longer more in-depth article because they don't get additional ad impressions for the additional time the customer spends reading it. It's just the nature of content on the web and it appears to be getting worse.

I find it interesting as their digital offerings are the same as those found in their print magazine. While modern digital publishers incentivise click-bait to maximise ad impressions, my impressions is that the Economist's main revenue is based off of subscriptions which should lend themselves towards more thoughtful analysis. It's not like they're shy of turning away visitors with their implementation of a soft-paywall so driving clicks doesn't help them much in the long run. I too have noticed a reduction in the quality of their analysis which eventually led me to cancel my subscription.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2018 12:11 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds