October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Holiday Sales 2018

More
25 Oct 2018 16:54 #284697 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Deals and Steals
Surprised to see New Angeles on there. I thought it got good reviews but I may be confusing it with another game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2018 16:55 #284698 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Deals and Steals

mads b. wrote: The pog-flipping in Runebound 3rd works really well. Combat is pretty fast, but it's still fun to play as the monsters. It also works for solo play even without the expansion. It's a really good game in so many ways.

This guy knows. Runebound 3E rules.

More
25 Oct 2018 16:57 #284699 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Deals and Steals

ChristopherMD wrote: Surprised to see New Angeles on there. I thought it got good reviews but I may be confusing it with another game.

It did, it’s one of the games on sale that I’m considering. I don’t think people care about the Android universe as much as FFG thinks they do. Netrunner was a huge hit, but it had *nothing* do with the name Android.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
25 Oct 2018 17:02 #284702 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Deals and Steals

ubarose wrote: Midnight Chronicles DVD only $1.

Why have they not recycled these by now? Or buried them behind the FFG center next to the remaining Mutant Chronicles TMG and Tannhauser stock?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Oct 2018 18:14 #284704 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Deals and Steals

Josh Look wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: Surprised to see New Angeles on there. I thought it got good reviews but I may be confusing it with another game.

It did, it’s one of the games on sale that I’m considering. I don’t think people care about the Android universe as much as FFG thinks they do. Netrunner was a huge hit, but it had *nothing* do with the name Android.

Thinking about Runebound 3e. Can we save on shipping if we order together?

More
25 Oct 2018 18:46 #284712 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Deals and Steals
Zeus defend me, I’m actually thinking about getting the Runewars stuff.

Anyone try it, or is it just a non-starter for people? Anyone want to talk me into it?

(For the record, I like Legion a lot more than I ever thought I would. Figures are typical so-so FFG standard, but the rules compare well to the ever-churning clusterfudge that is the GW family of rules.)

More
25 Oct 2018 20:14 #284722 by Michael Barnes
If you like Legion, you’ll probably like Runewars. There are some REALLY stupid rules. Like how you can accidentally maneuver a formation into a tree. It’s really pretty crap, I knew it was DOA when I played it the first time. But I’m also in the GW stable, so there’s that.

More
25 Oct 2018 20:35 #284724 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Deals and Steals
Well, I feel that GW doing extremely well, with great miniatures and good boxed games really drown any non-GW miniatures game this last two years. Even Privateer Press new launch of Monsterpocalypse is unheard.

So as a pure game, should be ok (like buying two factions to play one another). But practically, if you want a community and getting to play... that's going to be challenging.

More
25 Oct 2018 22:14 #284730 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Deals and Steals

Michael Barnes wrote: If you like Legion, you’ll probably like Runewars. There are some REALLY stupid rules. Like how you can accidentally maneuver a formation into a tree. It’s really pretty crap, I knew it was DOA when I played it the first time. But I’m also in the GW stable, so there’s that.

If I’m being honest, I really don’t have much of a community to play these games with. Occasionally, I rope someone in. I like painting, and GW makes the best figures, so I’m going to continue trying find people to play 40k and Sigmar with me. But I usually have to supply all the stuff, and a faction of anything GW produces, even at Kill Team scale, is really hard to just pick up and play for a novice.

Legion is easy to pick up and play, by comparison. It’s definitely not as beautiful, and painting them is something I do without any real enthusiasm, but the rules are about as easy to hit the ground running with as x-wing.

Probably going to skip Runewars, which, in the end, is not a difficult decision to make. Looks pretty clunky.

More
25 Oct 2018 22:21 #284731 by Michael Barnes
Look at it this way. You can buy Runewars hoping to find someone to play it. You won’t bother painting the figures because they are trash. By this time next year you will be ignominiously hauling it to Goodwill because no one wants to buy or trade it away from you. Or you can buy Warhammer stuff, spend time painting it, and enjoy it all whether you play it a lot or not. Five years, ten years, 20 years later you will STILL find a community to play and discuss the game and you can even use what you bought today.

There will still be folks playing Warhammer after the nuclear war. Same with Magic and D&D. Runewars will be completely forgotten by next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, GorillaGrody

More
25 Oct 2018 22:46 #284732 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Deals and Steals
If I still had a) the time to build and paint models
b) a regular community to play with
and c) the desire to spend gales of money on a collectible game

I'd probably be totally into Runewars because I like all the Rune games that I've played; even the original Runewars wargame that always struck me a number of concepts that never quite melded together properly (heroes often seeming superfluous; card combat that was never as satisfying as dice or a CRT; etc.)

But I don't have any of those things, so I sprung for a copy of New Angeles which, even with shipping, was cheaper than Amazon and I still really like the Android universe. Hopefully, I can dig up a few people that would be willing to be wheeler dealers (a la Dune, Diplomacy, other classics) at the table.

More
26 Oct 2018 08:08 #284744 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Deals and Steals
If you're ordering and you have a group of 5 or so trashy people you play with, throw in a copy of Crossing.

More
26 Oct 2018 10:30 #284761 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Deals and Steals
I'm peeved that Asmodee called my bluff and apparently ground up the last of the Tannhauser figures instead of selling them for the dollar I wanted them sold at.

You know, even though I have other things coming up and have a notorious backlog, I'm still tempted to get a Star Wars Destiny Legacies box for $54. (It's about $8 in shipping to me.) Unless it's gone by now. I hardly have any cards from that set, and the imminent release of the Across the Galaxy set has at least re-smoldered my interest. And then I think, besides the fact that I'm a grasping bastard, that I could probably have a pretty hot CoC card game collection for that, given that the deluxe expansion are $3. And then I think i should probably just leave my wallet at home.

I'm going to pass on New Angeles, which I've had on my want-in-trade list for a while now. The high player count and the fact that it's a negotiation game means it's not going to happen, or if it did it'd happen once, more or less as a favor to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 Oct 2018 11:30 #284771 by Michael Barnes
“Today’s clearance games are the shelf toads of tomorrow.”- Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Cranberries, jpat, Frohike

More
08 Nov 2018 10:54 - 08 Nov 2018 11:09 #285627 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Deals and Steals
Is this sale over? What holiday was this for?

I was actually considering Cave Troll or Drakon (old school FFG).
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 11:09 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds