October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Holiday Sales 2018

More
27 Nov 2018 17:24 #286985 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Deals and Steals

Michael Barnes wrote: I must have gotten the last KDM for $35, now the link redirects.

Still works for me, just grabbed one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2018 20:38 #286992 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Deals and Steals
Couldn't find it on my end. Probably fine, I don't need campaign games right now.

More
27 Nov 2018 21:37 #286994 by themothman421
Replied by themothman421 on topic Deals and Steals

CranBerries wrote: Amazon has a few games on sale. Force Awakens Core Set is only $13, and you can 3D print all of the expansions for free.

In the Year of the Dragon 10th Anniversary is $21 .

They also have copies of Kingdom Death: Monster for $35, which is ridiculous.

I was able to grab 6 KDMs, these will make great stocking stuffer/White Elephant gifts!

More
27 Nov 2018 21:42 #286995 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Holiday Sales 2018
Demetri you have to keep clicking on it for the link to work.

More
27 Nov 2018 22:47 #286996 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Holiday Sales 2018
Now would be the time to mention that I never actually clicked it and just lazily put it in the Amazon search bar.

Thanks! Can't believe they let it go that cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Cranberries

More
28 Nov 2018 09:10 #287008 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Holiday Sales 2018
I never imagined that anyone would give it up for that price

More
28 Nov 2018 09:13 #287010 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Holiday Sales 2018
I'm pretty sure at this point that nobody fell for it, but I sincerely appreciate the effort. I knew that you guys would never give me up or let me down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Hex Sinister, lj1983, Vysetron

More
28 Nov 2018 12:54 #287024 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Holiday Sales 2018
I clicked the link twice. The first time it kicked in and I was like HUH? The second time...

More
28 Nov 2018 13:23 #287027 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Holiday Sales 2018
Not only did I click on it, I watched all 3:31 of it. Glorious.

More
03 Dec 2018 13:24 #287331 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Holiday Sales 2018
Wasteland Express is on sale, $43:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRCE98Y/ref=s9_acsd...&pf_rd_i=18031935011

Charlest comments:

Quality pick up and deliver adventure game. Plays very fast and smooth, with the micro actions being a huge boon to avoid downtime. Doesn't overstay its welcome and the mechanisms are enjoyable.

In terms of theme it gives you just enough to chew on without endless exposition. You definitely need to soak in the flavor text in order to squeeze the most out of it.

Love the vehicle upgrade system which is reminiscent of Car Wars. Much more streamlined here and only a few options, but just enough to make different upgrade paths interesting.

Mechanically this has some more Euro blood than comparables such as Xia and Firefly. Dice results are more tightly constricted and are directly mitigated through upgrades. You can even avoid fighting somewhat (although it seems impossible to avoid completely if you want to win), and run a route with minimized luck. Even the tiles making up the map are identical on both sides, producing a more constricted range of setup parameters and ensuring a more smooth, less wild experience. I definitely wouldn't call this a Euro game, but it certainly has a good deal of Euro genetic makeup.

Downside is that the campaign mode feels a little tacked on and underwhelming. The game can also become repetitive at times as most jobs feel somewhat similar-a problem commonplace in this genre. I also wish the event deck was bigger and more unpredictable, as you will have seen all of the cards after two plays and the edge is slightly dulled as a result.

More
05 Dec 2018 13:04 #287531 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Holiday Sales 2018
I went to Marshalls and saw that they have seasonal holiday gifts which include several display tables of board games. They had copies of Eric M. Lang's Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination for $14.99 and The Godfather: Corleone's Empire for $19.99. I've since read on BGG that there are also copies of Sedition Wars floating around at either Marshalls or T.J. Maxx, but, I can't confirm those.

I picked up Kaosball because I remembered Charlie Theel's positive review and comments. I'm willing to give it a try for $14.99.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, BillyBobThwarton

More
05 Dec 2018 14:20 #287532 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Holiday Sales 2018
Wasteland Express has survived repeated purgings at my home. I don't think it's a top shelf game, but it's enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Kaosball was a game a buddy and I really enjoyed. Unfortunately I had the entire kickstarter set and it was way too much stuff (it took up 6-8 other games space on the shelf). I sold it to someone here - Shellhead maybe? I think he wasn't as fond of it as I was and ended up moving it.

Th base game is totally worth $15. There's some neat Eric Lang goodness in there and it plays much more area control-ish than other sports games.

More
05 Dec 2018 14:27 #287533 by stoic

charlest wrote: Wasteland Express has survived repeated purgings at my home. I don't think it's a top shelf game, but it's enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Kaosball was a game a buddy and I really enjoyed. Unfortunately I had the entire kickstarter set and it was way too much stuff (it took up 6-8 other games space on the shelf). I sold it to someone here - Shellhead maybe? I think he wasn't as fond of it as I was and ended up moving it.

Th base game is totally worth $15. There's some neat Eric Lang goodness in there and it plays much more area control-ish than other sports games.

Will it be ok with just the base game? Are there any particular expansions worth getting?

More
05 Dec 2018 14:49 #287536 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Holiday Sales 2018
I think the base game is solid. Expansions are mainly teams (asymmetric) and are neat, but you may want to wait until you're sure you enjoy it. You can also buy additional ringers which are special characters, but the base game comes with a couple I believe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
05 Dec 2018 20:55 #287557 by stoic

charlest wrote: I think the base game is solid. Expansions are mainly teams (asymmetric) and are neat, but you may want to wait until you're sure you enjoy it. You can also buy additional ringers which are special characters, but the base game comes with a couple I believe.

Ok, for those on the fence about spending $14.99 to tryout this big box of a luxurious base game, which includes four asymmetric factions and four ringers, I discovered that you can easily proxy all of the other expansions and ringers using the miniatures that come with the base game if you want to try out the expansions before buying them. You just print-out whatever faction card that you want to tryout on your home printer and use magnets to attach the printed faction card on top of one of the four included base faction cards that came with the base game (this works because of the neat, innovative, and luxurious use of magnets in the game which can be used to buff factions)--thereafter, you use that same faction's miniatures as the new faction's proxies, or, you just borrow miniatures from some other miniatures game that you own (e.g., MtG Arena, D&D, GW, what-have-you, etc.). Likewise, you can printout and just sleeve the new ringer cards to try them out before buying them, also using whatever proxy miniature(s) that you want.

tesera.ru/images/items/323290/Kaosball.pdf

This clearly overproduced and luxurious game didn't really need miniatures, in my opinion. Standees and/or chits would have sufficed and might have been better because you could have stored an entire league's worth of factions and ringers, the whole system, in the base box.

I look forward to playing Kaosball and experimenting with it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds