October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Local sale: Are any of these games going to change my life?

More
16 Nov 2018 11:40 - 16 Nov 2018 23:16 #286260 by Cranberries
I'm debating whether or not to hit this local sale. I basically have no excess money right now and it will cost me $15 in gas to get there, so I'll probably pass, but here's the latest version of the list:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-kykRNv...sUI/edit?usp=sharing

This is in West Valley, Utah.

[edit: link to a better copy of the list]

I'm liking Dawn of the Zeds for $10, Zulus on the Ramparts. There are other good games but not ones I can get to the table. I used to own Duel of Ages II. It was the most beautiful of toads. The Grizzled is tempting. A Fat:tie is selling Theseus and expansions.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 23:16 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2018 11:49 #286262 by hotseatgames
Sounds like you know you shouldn’t go. So don’t go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Nov 2018 11:54 #286263 by themothman421
Yeah, personally nothing stood out to me, and all of the rare/OOP stuff seems priced according to the already-overinflated prices on BGG.

I'm in the SLC area, and I vaguely remember going to a sale like this last year...like it was in a library somewhere...is this the same thing?

More
16 Nov 2018 12:36 #286265 by Michael Barnes
All of these games will change your life by saddling you with more shelf toads and things to take to Goodwill in a couple of years when their burden becomes too great.

BtW- Secret Satan is coming next week...lots of stuff on here for that...
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries, Frohike, drewcula, engineer Al, Scott Rogers

More
16 Nov 2018 16:14 #286272 by Cranberries

themothman421 wrote: Yeah, personally nothing stood out to me, and all of the rare/OOP stuff seems priced according to the already-overinflated prices on BGG.

I'm in the SLC area, and I vaguely remember going to a sale like this last year...like it was in a library somewhere...is this the same thing?

Yes, it's that same library sale! The prices seem higher this year. I sold about $200 of games last year.

More
16 Nov 2018 16:33 #286275 by Shellhead
None of these games will change your life, but there are a few good picks in that list.

Stratego for $5 would be a great price for a classic 2-player game.

Nuclear War for $10 would be worth it.

Theseus: the Dark Orbit for $10 is probably a good price. Some people here really like it.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (MB) for $15 is another good one. I played it just last month and a surprising number of people liked the show and enjoy the game.

Forbidden Desert for $15 might not be a bargain, but it's a good solo/co-op game.

IIRC, Risk Lord of the Rings is supposedly a good 3-player and one of the best Risk variants, so $15 might be a bargain.

Legend of the Five Rings core set for $20 sounds like it is probably the FFG base set, and $20 is a good price for that.

My Little Scythe for $30 might be worth it.

Space Hulk: Death Angel for $30 is a little spendy if just the base set, but it's totally out of print and one of the best games in my collection. This is the best game on the whole list, imo.

Duel of Ages II for $50 might be worth it for an extremely interesting shelf toad.

Dungeon Degenerates for $60 might be good. Some people here swear by that game, but I suspect they are over-rating due to the black light style artwork.

Root plus Riverfolk expansion for $120 is a possibility, but I personally think that Root is an interesting but fundamentally flawed game.

The Mushroom Eaters for $140 is expensive, but maybe fair for a very unusual and out-of-print game.

Chaos in the Old World + the Horned Rat for $240 is too rich for my tastes, but it is completely out of print and could likely be resold in a few years for even more money.

I have no comment on the games without prices at the bottom of the list, except that some are good games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whoshim

More
16 Nov 2018 16:38 #286276 by repoman
Triumph of Chaos is a great game but there is a new edition coming out in the ill defined future so now's the time to get rid of it if you don't want it.

Zulus on the Ramparts is reputed to be a very good solo game though I have never played it.

More
16 Nov 2018 16:39 #286278 by stoic

CranBerries wrote: I'm debating whether or not to hit this local sale. I basically have no excess money right now and it will cost me $15 in gas to get there, so I'll probably pass, but here's the latest version of the list:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W-gaIcGX...los/edit?usp=sharing

This is in West Valley, Utah.

Well, these are the games that I see on the list worth owning (I own all but The Grizzled):

Red7
Dutch Blitz
Condottierre
Qwirkle
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
UNLOCK! (various versions)
The Grizzled

More
17 Nov 2018 13:55 #286318 by Cranberries
I decided to stay home and wait for the USPS to deliver a package containing two used cameras that I am very excited about, because I lost my main rig about three years ago and sold the replacement a few months ago, and not having a camera around is like pre-OZ Kansas for me. Maybe someday I'll learn to express myself creatively through writing, which carries the burden of years of anxiety (thanks grad school) but for now a camera really meets that need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
17 Nov 2018 16:48 #286333 by Gary Sax
You made the right choice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds