October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Let’s Talk About Art and Graphic Design in Games

More
19 Nov 2018 09:08 #286476 by Vysetron
IIRC it's not even an unwritten rule with Issac. He's talked about it at length in text, podcasts, interviews, etc. He's very much about making games with amazing, inclusive art. I maintain that PHG could use a developer to help fully bake about half of their games, but they always look amazing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 09:38 #286480 by DarthJoJo

Jexik wrote: Sirlin's Puzzle Strike box will forever baffle me. It does not say "this game is like Dominion, but better!"

Dominion is my number one game of all time, but doesn’t every box ever suggest it’s better than Dominion? Up until the Adventures expansion, Dominion box art could be depended upon for the greatest collection of lumpy faces and empty, nondescript landscapes in all of games. And that doofy interlocking, stretched-out logo that they can’t ever change because it’s on the back of every card. Oof.

More
19 Nov 2018 10:49 #286487 by Joebot
My favorite boardgame artist is Ryan Laukat from Red Raven Games. I've purchased a bunch of his games, simply because I love the artwork. For example, The Ancient World is a pretty bog-standard, worker-placement euro game, but my God, is the game beautiful when it's laid out on the table. I even bought one of his prints and have it hanging on my wall.

I think Laukat is in a somewhat unique position in the industry. He's the game designer AND the artist, which means he doesn't have to deal with the dreaded "middle man" issue of having a publisher make art decisions for his games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Scott Rogers

More
19 Nov 2018 11:26 - 19 Nov 2018 11:28 #286490 by Jexik

DarthJoJo wrote:

Jexik wrote: Sirlin's Puzzle Strike box will forever baffle me. It does not say "this game is like Dominion, but better!"

Dominion is my number one game of all time, but doesn’t every box ever suggest it’s better than Dominion? Up until the Adventures expansion, Dominion box art could be depended upon for the greatest collection of lumpy faces and empty, nondescript landscapes in all of games. And that doofy interlocking, stretched-out logo that they can’t ever change because it’s on the back of every card. Oof.

The name is nonsense (could just as well be candy or something), the box looks like it was made for 8 year old girls (and I don't mean that derisively, just qualitatively - 8-year-old girls like this box more than the target audience). It does not present itself as an EVEN MORE SRS Dominion, which is what it is.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2018 11:28 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
19 Nov 2018 11:41 #286491 by charlest
Surprised to see no Kwanchai Moriya love. Dude is an all-star.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, trif, Jexik, SuperflyPete, DarthJoJo, Vysetron, Scott Rogers

More
19 Nov 2018 14:50 #286503 by SuperflyPete
If I could use his work in every project I ever did, I would.

More
19 Nov 2018 17:02 #286507 by Vysetron
I've been on the Kwanchai train for a couple years. The man's versatility is staggering, and he's good in every style I've seen him work in. He's getting loads of work more and he deserves more.

More
25 Nov 2018 20:40 #286806 by Msample

Msample wrote: I'm speaking mainly on the wargame side of the business here:

I think when evaluating art there are two components that need to be considered - aesthetics and functionality .

There are maps that are suitable for wall framing, but fail the functionality test, sometimes alarmingly so. Mark Mahaffey is the poster child for this. At times he produces maps that do both, but too many times he "pushes the envelope" for the sake of being different and is notoriously tone deaf to feedback. He gets work both due to the scarcity of people willing to do the work for what it pays and by being cheaper than most other artists .

Mark Simonitch has the advantage of both being a graphics guy as well as an excellent designer and the finished product benefits greatly.

As for artists not being paid living wages...a friend of mine has repeatedly told me that his day job as a graphic designer pays much better than what he would get doing artwork for game companies.

Pink print on dark red counters. WTF. This is where bad art hinders game play.
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2018 20:55 #286811 by Scott Rogers

charlest wrote: Surprised to see no Kwanchai Moriya love. Dude is an all-star.

I'm a fan.

I'm already scheming on if I ever do a second edition of Rayguns and Rocketships, how I could get him to do the art for it...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds