October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Which game design sounds coolest?

More
25 Nov 2018 23:32 #286821 by Scott Rogers
I'm trying to determine the theme of my next big game design. Which of the following ideas sounds most intriguing to you?

A. A cyberpunk themed competitive strategy game where the players travel about a city, doing crimes/jobs to buy decks and software used in cyberspace to complete objectives, set traps and battle other hackers.

B. A horror themed cooperative worker placement game where villagers are trying to prepare for a big festival but are being constantly bedeviled by a vampire who preys on the workers at night. Can they build up their courage to stop him?

C. A 1970's disaster themed semi-cooperative cube tower game where players have to find an escape route from a burning/flooding skyscraper but can only score points by helping other NPCs escape first.

Vote for your favorite below! Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2018 00:09 #286822 by Vysetron
All of them sound promising but I have to vote for competitive cyberpunks. Cyberpunk settings, done well, are some of my absolute favorite things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 07:10 #286825 by hotseatgames
A or C. I was thinking about doing A myself, so if you do it and succeed, I can ride your coattails. :D

More
26 Nov 2018 07:52 #286827 by Black Barney
B for sure

More
26 Nov 2018 09:07 #286830 by Michael Barnes
As far as settings go, the 70s disaster thing would be the only one I would be remotely interested in. Cyberpunk and vampires are redundant. A is a total yawner...I know there aren’t many Cyberpunk games, really...but that whole paragraph is pretty trite. I’d rather see a game that actually addresses the THEMES of Cyberpunk literature than the pulp action reduction of it. I love gothic horror and vampires but B is not really appealing to me...it really sounds more like Beowulf than a vampire story.

But C is good. An Irwin Allen game. With a 70s disaster setting, there is all kinds of awesome stuff you can do with the graphic design and play concepts. It sounds fresher and more fun.

More
26 Nov 2018 09:15 #286833 by SuperflyPete
I'd like A) but all vs. 1 or co-op, where you're uncovering ill deeds by a company. Sort of like a bunch of hackers running around an Android-type city setting trying to gain intel on Facebook to blow open its manipulation of voters or something like that. Not too on-the-nose but enough that people will view it is topical and relevant, and relates to today despite being set in a dystopian future.

I'd also be totally happy with a game like Towering Inferno where each player has 15 people they need to get out of a burning building, and the other players are trying to fucking burn them up. Like Pompeii or Survive, but with a 3D vertical board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 09:28 #286835 by the_jake_1973
C for sure. I could see that building on some of the flame mechanics that Flash Point has.

More
26 Nov 2018 09:34 #286838 by hotseatgames
Now I'm thinking about an insane Print and Play where you actually set the game on fire each time you play.

More
26 Nov 2018 10:00 #286842 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: Now I'm thinking about an insane Print and Play where you actually set the game on fire each time you play.

Legacy game.

More
26 Nov 2018 10:04 #286843 by Shellhead
I vote A. Cyberpunk could use more attention, especially when too many people got into steampunk instead. Steampunk is shallow and vain, all about the shiny metal and the over-designed baroque rubbish. Cyberpunk is about data and ideas and finding surprising new uses for technology. And there are a tragic number of gamers who mistakenly associate cyberpunk with elves and fairies and orcs because they are ignorant.

More
26 Nov 2018 10:22 #286846 by ubarose
C is a little too 911 for me, but I am over sensitive.

More
26 Nov 2018 10:30 #286847 by Jackwraith
I think there's something to be said for the "classic" cyberpunk approach, but I think MB's point is valid in terms of trying to break away from the more "fantasized" viewpoint and aim at the cultural themes behind those ideas. That perspective is why William Gibson tends to discard his earlier writings like Neuromancer as a "child's effort". One looks at later effort like Virtual Light, where the story wasn't about cyberpunk, but more about the punk culture, as it were, that existed below the horizon of what was commonly accepted as the present reality. You can easily see examples of that today and throughout history.

I don't know that that kind of cultural perspective would make a great game; much less a game that would have broad appeal or be even close to something like Rayguns and Rocketships, but it would certainly be a different approach. I think it's something that was attempted by FFG with both Infiltration and New Angeles, both of which were less about the "punk" approach and more about how people are functioning within the constraints of a corporate-dominated world or even how those corporations are functioning within the world that they've created; both of which are a lot closer to the world we have today, albeit minus the Beanstalk and the Helium3 and all that. Both of those games have been criticized for not being "cyberpunk enough" but I think they come closer to the themes that Gibson has spoken out about, for example.

Of the suggestions that Scott has provided, I'd be more in favor of A thematically for the pangs of interest that Shellhead has cited, but C sounds the most interesting to me, mechanically. I also grew up in the 70s and saw Towering Inferno in the theater and many, many other 'disaster' films of that sort, so there's that, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Vysetron, Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 11:25 #286853 by Black Barney
Scott, if you are really interested in B, I recommend reading Stephen King's "Salem's Lot" for inspiration. It's a quick read and an amazing book. What I like about it is that the town doesn't 'wake up' to the danger. So if you've played War of the Ring a bit, there's this amazing mechanic about how some races and groups of people aren't aware to the danger and cannot make preparations since they don't consider the threat to be real.

That might be a really cool idea for this type of game where you're trying to recruit and muster villagers to help out. And this is a tactic the vampire/evil player can abuse if they want. They can stay stealthy and not make obvious kills to not alarm the townsfolk that someone is preying upon them.

Erik Twice is going to step in here soon to push for the cyberpunk idea as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 11:39 #286857 by the_jake_1973
Barney, I feel like you've hit on the next GW game. An area control game set in Altdorf that would see the citizens stop the rats. But since the average citizen does not believe the Skaven exist at all so that can be a 'threat meter' of sorts.

Perhaps instead of a vampire threat, it is a werewolf threat, a la' Brotherhood of the Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 11:40 #286858 by SebastianBludd
I like the disaster movie idea the best; better yet if you could play three different modes where in one it's fire, another is a flood, and the third is an earthquake (probably a nightmare to design but it would be great for replayability). A big theme in disaster movies is individuals jeopardizing the safety or plans of the group for selfish reasons (i.e., a kid going after his dog, the misanthropic loner, the rich guy who refuses to leave behind his briefcase of money, etc.), so implementing that in some fashion would set it apart from a standard "rescue all the people you can" scenario.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds