October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

My Surreal Afternoon Spent Explaining Scythe to my Boss.

More
18 Dec 2018 23:07 - 18 Dec 2018 23:17 #288428 by ubarose
Today my boss came into my office to "Speak" with me. That's "Speak" with a capital "S." So, of course, I stopped what I was doing and gave him my undivided attention.

"Have you heard of Scythe?"

It was not quite what I was expecting him to say."

"The board game?" I replied, feeling a bit confused. I mean, it could have been the name of some new computer language or application.

"Yes, what do you think of it?"

"It's less fun than it looks like it should be," I answered honestly.

"My son wants it for Christmas. Should I get it for him?"

*pause, deep breath*

"Weeellll," exhale, "It's a rather expensive and complex economic engine builder with a 4X vibe, but less fighty than you would expect."

"What's an engine builder? What's 4X? How expensive?"

"This might take a while maybe we should take this conversation into your office."

So then I spent a chunk of the afternoon trying to explain engine builders, worker placement, resource management, why the Mechs were less cool than expected, 4X, Kickstarter, who Tom Vassel is and why on earth he would make 20 minute video about a game, why Gloomhaven is $130 (discovered while looking up prices for Scythe) and why games cost 30% less online, but are all out of stock now, so we are going to have to call the FLGS.

Also, got to have a fun phone conversation on speaker with the store clerk of one of our FLGSs.

My boss: Is Scythe appropriate for a 15-year-old?

Clerk: *pause as he chooses his words carefully* Well, there is nothing in it that is inappropriate for a teenager. But it is a fairly complex engine builder...

My Boss: He plays Pandemic and Dungeons and Dragons.

Clerk: Well, it's a bit more complicated than Pandemic. But there's definitely no inappropriate material in Scythe.

Undaunted, my boss continued his research. Which means we all got to hear him swearing at his computer for the rest of afternoon, as he discovered that our work's net nanny blocks every board game site, store, and review on the internet except for Amazon, Youtube and part of CoolStuff.

My final recommendation was that he should probably get it for his son if that was what his son wanted. For all we know his son had played it with a friend and really liked it. Worst case scenario, if his son cracked the shrink and didn't like it, they could sell it for about $40 on our local trade board.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 23:17 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 23:14 #288429 by hotseatgames
My company is having a Christmas party at the end of the week. They buy a lot of prizes, including several televisions. When you go to the party, you get a raffle ticket. If your number is called, you get to select a prize from whatever is remaining. The televisions always go first.

The President of my company is very impressed that I got a board game published. He purchased 2 copies of SEAL Team Flix, had me sign them, and they are going to be prizes at the party. :)

More
18 Dec 2018 23:19 #288430 by ubarose
I think Seal Team Flix would be a more "appropriate game" for my boss's son.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, southernman, Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
19 Dec 2018 07:48 #288439 by hotseatgames
I'm biased but the list of games I'd rather play instead of Scythe is long indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
19 Dec 2018 08:05 #288442 by Shellhead
Should have told your boss about My Little Scythe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton, WadeMonnig

More
19 Dec 2018 08:35 #288446 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: I'm biased but the list of games I'd rather play instead of Scythe is long indeed.

Yeah, my list includes almost every other game. I’d rather play Monopoly
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
19 Dec 2018 09:15 #288447 by ubarose
The decision has been made. The Boss is giving his son cash. The kid can use it to buy Scythe if he wishes, but before doing so, they can confirm that the kid realizes it's more of an economic game about building factories, and less of an area control game about fighting robots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat

More
19 Dec 2018 09:33 #288448 by Josh Look
“You know that feeling you get at about 1:30 in the afternoon on Wednesday when you realize you have 2 and half more days of this? Scythe is that feeling made cardboard and plastic.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, jeb, Gary Sax, allismom3, Frohike, SaMoKo, engineer Al, sornars

More
19 Dec 2018 09:49 #288450 by jeb
I started looking at the SCYTHE rulebook last night. I was having some FOMO and was wondering what all the fuss was about. This thread is very helpful. Thanks!

More
19 Dec 2018 10:39 #288454 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: I started looking at the SCYTHE rulebook last night. I was having some FOMO and was wondering what all the fuss was about. This thread is very helpful. Thanks!

Haven't even looked at it in any detail. I saw a game with a cool name: "Scythe". Huh, I thought to myself. That box doesn't have any of the other imagery I typically associate with that word (Grim Reaper, necromancers, etc.) Instead, it looks like a... farming game. There's really a farming game that's this big, with this many expansions? Then I came here and read a couple comments and checked out. Not interested.

More
19 Dec 2018 10:42 #288455 by cdennett
On paper I should like Scythe, but boy do I not... My Collector's Edition with lots of upgrades now resides with a friend of mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb

More
19 Dec 2018 10:59 #288459 by Sagrilarus

cdennett wrote: On paper I should like Scythe, but boy do I not... My Collector's Edition with lots of upgrades now resides with a friend of mine.

Dude, that's your worst-case scenario. You don't want a friend to own Scythe, because it will be set up and ready to go when you get to his house!

Learn from your mistakes people! Give Scythe to the children of your boss so that you'll never see it again!

I'm simply amazed at the non-love this game gets here, in spite of me more or less thinking that it's tripe. It's the least-loved of the most-loved games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, RobertB, Frohike, cdennett

More
19 Dec 2018 11:04 #288460 by RobertB
Man, around here you'd think Scythe kicked your dog or something. For me, it's really pretty, it's not really a 4X, and it beats watching The Walking Dead for the third time. It's a perfectly cromulent game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat

More
19 Dec 2018 12:08 #288466 by jpat

ubarose wrote: The decision has been made. The Boss is giving his son cash. The kid can use it to buy Scythe if he wishes, but before doing so, they can confirm that the kid realizes it's more of an economic game about building factories, and less of an area control game about fighting robots.

The stuff of after-school specials.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
19 Dec 2018 12:46 #288471 by SuperflyPete

RobertB wrote: It's a perfectly cromulent game.

No, because Crom is the god of dooms and death, but the only death in this game is your soul while playing and the only doom is when you see it set up on a table, awaiting your turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, RobertB, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds