October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

5 Best New To Me Games of 2018

More
02 Jan 2019 08:31 - 02 Jan 2019 10:27 #289036 by Jexik
I'm no regular article-ate contributor around here, and I don't play a lot of games, but I do play a select few games a lot.

BEST COMPUTER GAME OF 2018

Into the Breach

Gary and I both love this. If you like board and card games, and the idea of a great solo game that can make you feel alternatively super clever and super dumb, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's basically Band of Bugs meets Front Mission with the look and feel of their first rogue-like hit - Faster Than Light.

The procedurally generated missions and various squads don't give you deja vu until you hit around 100 hours played, at which point that deja vu makes you an excellent player. I once blew up a mountain to coax an alien to run out and stop standing in front of my frigging train headed for that mountainous valley.

It's an amazingly tight and well balanced play, on all difficulties.

BEST CARD GAME OF 2018

Keyforge
I'm somewhere between 10 and 50 plays of this, 5 of them coming live, the rest on www.thecrucible.online

I grew up playing MtG back in the 90s, and have tremendous respect for Richard Garfield as a designer. That said, I was cautious as hell about this one, thinking it was just a gimmick. And maybe it is. But I've only bought one deck for myself, with a few as gifts. All of my online plays were with the same deck, just to get a feel for it and see the depth in the game. And I do think it's there. Even when I come across some truly broken combos, I've often either made the game feel close or manage a way to scratch out a win. There's an exceptional ebb and flow to the game as you choose your house and what to do each round. The design and playtest team also had the foresight to create a clever handicap system in the event of certain combos being broken or unfair. I'll also use this to help games with my wife and son as they learn to play. Even further, this system of "chains" that restrict player hand size is used in-game to allow them to play around with the design space of having powerful cards (think Wrath of God type MtG effects) that give you chains for that game.

Love it, and expect to play it well into this year.

BEST BOARD GAME OF 2018

Kingdomino

This may have been a late 2017 release, but dang it, I love this title and didn't get it until January. It's the perfect family title (even beating out my next game), but I can't believe it doesn't get more talk around here despite its simplicity. It has surprising depth in the 2p 7x7 game, and my wife happily bought the expansion when we saw it at GenCon.

CUTEST BOARD GAME OF 2018

Stuffed Fables

I hadn't painted minis in over a decade, but my little green ape and blue elephant stuffies make me smile. I've only played one scenario with the family, but we'll get to it eventually. The game is adorable and Jerry Hawthorne is a wonderful human being. (Disclaimer, I consider the man a friend and I used to work on Summoner Wars and the DoW expansion for PHG).

BEST GAME I DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY YET OF 2018

Of course it's Root. Seal Team Flix will probably beat it if I'm being honest though.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 10:27 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2019 11:27 #289075 by SuperflyPete

Jexik wrote: Of course it's Root. Seal Team Flix will probably beat it if I'm being honest though.

Obviously. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
02 Jan 2019 11:32 #289076 by Jexik
A store in Chicago has two copies, but they charge full MSRP and we had spent our christmas budget on everyone else. I'll get it sometime this year for sure. Then I can put it on that list. :D

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds