October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

“Board Games Aren’t Just for Geeks Anymore”...

More
19 Feb 2019 18:48 #292657 by Vysetron
The most offensive thing in the video was the audio mixing. It's not great.

Aside from that eh, it's a fun little video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2019 19:35 #292659 by SaMoKo
I might shoot someone over Reef Encounter or Hansa Teutonica. But not in the head, probably just in the neck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 Feb 2019 20:02 #292663 by ecargo

WadeMonnig wrote: The whole thing is a bit odd "Board games aren't for Geeks anymore" which i will now prove with song and dance and cameos by Board Game Personalities who you won't know unless, you guessed it, you are into board games.
So, here are the same half dozen body odor/geek/bad personal hygiene jokes that have been around for decades put into what felt like a commercial for his patreon.

This.

It's an impressive amount of work that went into the video, but I don't need the hobby validated by showing me all the other cool, normal things gamers do. I assume people are not one-dimensional and have other interests. Sure, it's cool when Kristen Bell (or whatever famous person) says they play Catan, but it ultimately makes no difference to me outside of simply being a fun little celebrity factoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Frohike, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
19 Feb 2019 20:07 #292664 by Sagrilarus
I had a guy pull a knife on me over Double Deck Pinochle, because apparently games are for recovering convicted felons now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Colorcrayons

More
19 Feb 2019 20:55 #292668 by hotseatgames
I too, felt that the Monopoly bit was very incongruous with the rest of the video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
19 Feb 2019 22:42 #292687 by Frohike
I enjoy Actualol’s work but I just don’t understand how a video aimed squarely at a community that knows the cameos (an audience otherwise known as geeks) can effectively celebrate the hobby’s non-insularity. Are they assuming these Youtubers are mainstream enough? I mean, I guess if we’re calling /r/boardgames a mainstream platform, then sure... otherwise. Hrmm. Is it supposed to be taken as a parody of its message?

And yeah, bad mixing was bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
19 Feb 2019 23:46 #292688 by RolandHemisphere
This has to be balls-out nerdiest way to proclaim that the hobby has transcended geekdom. I’m honestly confused. Apart from the Green Bay Packers (Go Pack!) the entire “we got” list is a who’s who of deep nerd icons, and the Packers who play Settlers (gasp) have mostly been traded away to boot.

And bashing on Monopoly is so lazy and uninspired, it’s nothing more than total dweeb virtue signaling.

Ugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Colorcrayons

More
20 Feb 2019 01:21 #292691 by Space Ghost

ecargo wrote: Sure, it's cool when Kristen Bell (or whatever famous person) says they play Catan, but it ultimately makes no difference to me outside of simply being a fun little celebrity factoid.

It's like the People Magazine piece "They're just like us"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ecargo

More
20 Feb 2019 04:16 - 20 Feb 2019 04:46 #292692 by Erik Twice
Kind of cynical but I can't help but think that this is less about "Boardgames can now be enjoyed by more people" and more about how my hobby is better and I'm deriving some kind of pride or recognition out of that. It feels not so much about others as it is about being in the cool kids club.

The Monopoly bit and small-world celebrity cameos are very revealing in that sense.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 04:46 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jexik, Gregarius, RolandHemisphere

More
20 Feb 2019 07:03 #292694 by Matt Thrower

WadeMonnig wrote: The whole thing is a bit odd "Board games aren't for Geeks anymore" which i will now prove with song and dance and cameos by Board Game Personalities who you won't know unless, you guessed it, you are into board games.
So, here are the same half dozen body odor/geek/bad personal hygiene jokes that have been around for decades put into what felt like a commercial for his patreon.

I agree with Grace: also this.

I enjoyed it - the "targets" here are the tired old tropes about anti-social gamers, not Monopoly players. It's telling that sequence used a prop from Cash & Guns - it's obviously a send-up. But it's not going to achieve any breakout entertainment, nor is it meant to. It's a meme by gamers for gamers to help fund a gamer.

Nothing wrong with that, so long as it's sold and understood at face value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, cdennett, ecargo, Vysetron, n815e, RolandHemisphere

More
20 Feb 2019 07:16 #292695 by RolandHemisphere

Matt Thrower wrote:

I agree with Grace: also this.

I enjoyed it - the "targets" here are the tired old tropes about anti-social gamers, not Monopoly players. It's telling that sequence used a prop from Cash & Guns - it's obviously a send-up. But it's not going to achieve any breakout entertainment, nor is it meant to. It's a meme by gamers for gamers to help fund a gamer.

Nothing wrong with that, so long as it's sold and understood at face value.

I get it now, by classy nerds for classy nerds.

Is there a hipster nerd, or is that redundant?

More
20 Feb 2019 07:56 - 20 Feb 2019 08:01 #292696 by Jexik
They walk out a bearded hipster in the song as an allowed group to play board games.

I'd rather play Monopoly than any Feldian monster.

The common misconception I run into more often (save for magic player stereotypes) is that games are for children, not that they're for geeks. Geeks use the word geek more than anyone else.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 08:01 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo, WadeMonnig

More
20 Feb 2019 08:24 - 20 Feb 2019 08:26 #292697 by Legomancer
It was fine. About what I expected. Nerds celebrating nerdery is always pretty embarrassing.

It of course does the weird thing that nerds do where they assume that people who aren't into the things they're into aren't into anything. Like, how can someone claim they enjoy a TV show or a hobby unless they have t shirts and action figures and do quotes and discuss online and so forth. Geeks seem to think that people who aren't geeks just sit motionless on the sofa until it's time to sleep.

Edited to add: the first and so far only reference I've seen to this video is from MB. I stopped following a lot of board game content creators on Twitter and my life is a little better.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 08:26 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Shellhead, Jexik, Frohike, ecargo, Vysetron

More
20 Feb 2019 08:26 #292698 by Vysetron

Legomancer wrote: It was fine. About what I expected. Nerds celebrating nerdery is always pretty embarrassing.

It of course does the weird thing that nerds do where they assume that people who aren't into the things they're into aren't into anything. Like, how can someone claim they enjoy a TV show or a hobby unless they have t shirts and action figures and do quotes and discuss online and so forth. Geeks seem to think that people who aren't geeks just sit motionless on the sofa until it's time to sleep.

Don't forget the arcane acts of THE SPORTSBALL.

More
20 Feb 2019 08:28 #292699 by Michael Barnes
It just occurred to me. According to this video, “everybody” does not include people of color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e, RolandHemisphere

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds