October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What future shelf toads are you thinking about?

More
19 Mar 2019 23:20 - 19 Mar 2019 23:36 #294094 by Gary Sax
As you all know who've been here for a bit, I game a fair amount but it is all in several very specific genres with my spouse---I'm turned off by cold meets at game nights and currently have an agonizing weekly commute.

As y'all ALSO know I am endlessly tempted by big games that are far too clever to ever get played without a like-minded group---just look at my collection on BGG. I often buy those games knowing they will be toads. To be clear, I don't carry around much guilt about it, tbh, so this thread isn't really about that, there are more than enough threads on TWBGs about streamlining your collection.

Instead, I wanted to start a therapeutic thread about the toads you're resisting or really wanting to play on your shelf but can't. I'll start.

I won't buy it, but I just watched a Let's Play of Millennium Blades and it is just such a cool fucking idea. I know it has gotten solid praise around here too from folks I like. Even conceptually it is extremely meta and interesting. Playing the meta game of CCGs with niche rare cards, a local group meta, etc without actually doing it is so cool! It is just the sort of economic/interaction game with a markets, tons of cards, timed turns, etc that get my shelf toad loving attention.

I'm.hugely attracted to games that require you to satisfice and never allow you the time, space or options to perfect anything.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2019 23:36 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2019 00:20 #294096 by san il defanso
I don't think it qualifies as a shelf toad for me yet, since I've gotten to play it a couple times in quick succession. But Through The Ages has been on my mind a lot lately. I actually picked up the app, and all of the accolades I had heard about it were earned.

I don't love a lot of efficiency games, but there are several that work for me, and I think Through The Ages might just be one. It's not the only civ game I want in my life, but it sits comfortably in my collection alongside Clash of Cultures and Innovation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
20 Mar 2019 07:49 #294099 by hotseatgames
The reprint of Dune will likely be a toad for me. Two people in my group don't like negotiation, and thus don't like Cosmic. Add to that a strong desire to have 6 people playing, and chances really go through the floor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith, Frohike, DukeofChutney, n815e

More
20 Mar 2019 08:08 #294100 by Jackwraith
Same. I'll pick it up to retire my old AH copy (and if they've done some cool things with it), but it'll likely never get played. In that same negotiation bent that I have but almost no one else in my group has, New Angeles keeps calling my name from the shelf. Also, lately, my collection of Columbia block games. With my normal 2-person opponent having wandered off, I keep looking at that stack (right next to the GMT stack!) and wondering when I'm going to get one of those on the table again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames, Frohike, n815e

More
20 Mar 2019 08:19 #294101 by Vysetron
I've never been 100% on what qualifies as a shelf toad. How long does a game have to go unplayed before it transmogrifies?

Besides the Dune reprint I don't think I have any upcoming games that look particularly toad-y, but my list of new games to buy this year is pretty darn short.

List of hard-to-get-played: Millennium Blades, Dogs of War, Darkness Comes Rattling, The Borderlands (Gearworld). That last one is particularly shameful because I haven't even played it once yet. The rest are just amazing games that we don't play enough, though my wife was talking about breaking out Darkness last weekend.

More
20 Mar 2019 09:21 - 20 Mar 2019 09:24 #294107 by BaronDonut
I generally have one or two GMT games with old-ass paintings of serious men on them that I'm pretty sure I'll only get to the table once or twice before I croak. Which is honestly pretty fine with me, I wouldn't want to subject my friends to more of my weird wargaming predilections than absolutely necessary.

I actually just traded the US Civil War (big ole wargame, beautiful, will never play it, not sure I actually like it) for Churchill (big ole political game, charmingly homely, will never play it, pretty sure I'd like it). Maybe I'll break it out and do a solo game vs. bots when I'm grading papers.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2019 09:24 by BaronDonut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody, n815e

More
20 Mar 2019 09:39 #294110 by Matt Thrower
I sold my copy of TI:3 a couple of years ago. And ever since I get nagged from one friend, who I see once a year, and who played it with me one time and loved it, about having let it go. So I'm having a vague notion of picking up TI:4 just so he'll shut the fuck up.

I'm really excited by GMT's Gandhi and I'm absolutely going to get it and I'm absolutely going to play it, even if it's only solo. But the fact is that unless it's on the low end for complexity and playtime for a COIN game - and signs are it isn't - it won't hit the table after I've written it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
20 Mar 2019 10:01 #294113 by ubarose
Betrayal Legacy. We just don't do well with legacy or campaign games. I like to play different games depending on my mood, and so do the others in my group. So when ever we attempt a legacy or campaign game we maybe play it twice, and then put it aside and forget where we were, and then it feels burdensome to try to pick it up again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, allismom3

More
20 Mar 2019 10:13 #294115 by WadeMonnig
They come unseen. Cold war era submarine hunt that I picked up for virtually nothing. But, if we want to play hidden movement, it's Whitehall Mystery or Fury of Dracula. If we want submarines, it's Sonar. If we want a mixture of both with a layer of unneeded rules...oh, yea, that's why it's not getting played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
20 Mar 2019 11:08 #294118 by BaronDonut

Matt Thrower wrote: I'm really excited by GMT's Gandhi and I'm absolutely going to get it and I'm absolutely going to play it, even if it's only solo. But the fact is that unless it's on the low end for complexity and playtime for a COIN game - and signs are it isn't - it won't hit the table after I've written it up.

Oh Matt, if only there weren't an ocean betwixt us, I would play the ever-loving hell out of this with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax

More
20 Mar 2019 11:21 #294119 by Gary Sax
Some good pulls in here that are on my list too... I find Gandhi exciting as well and managed to resist from ordering it. Mainly because I want to see how it lands from a plausible historicity perspective with people smarter than me, this is an exceedingly delicate but fascinating topic.

Be as subjective as you want in what's a potential toad, there's no dictionary definition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
20 Mar 2019 11:26 #294121 by Gregarius
Yeah, almost all of the GMT games I pick up are insta-toads for me. I've gotten much better about not buying them, but they're just so darn alluring. The one I've been pining for over the last few months is Time of Crisis. I know there is no way in hell I could get my group to play it, but I want it sooo badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Mar 2019 13:16 #294132 by Joebot
I was at Half Price Books on Friday, and they had a very nice used copy of the Game of Thrones boardgame (2nd edition) for $30. I stared at that box long and hard. I even had a 40%-off coupon in my pocket!

But eventually, after much soul searching, I was willing to overcome the siren song of that inevitable shelf toad. There's just no way that would ever get played at my house.

Instead, I walked out with a copy of The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker. Hope it's good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Mar 2019 13:38 #294136 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: I won't buy it, but I just watched a Let's Play of Millennium Blades and it is just such a cool fucking idea. I know it has gotten solid praise around here too from folks I like. Even conceptually it is extremely meta and interesting. Playing the meta game of CCGs with niche rare cards, a local group meta, etc without actually doing it is so cool! It is just the sort of economic/interaction game with a markets, tons of cards, timed turns, etc that get my shelf toad loving attention.

I would love to try out Millennium Blades. I've heard good things about it and the theme of the game really draws me. Sadly, I have no money for it and it doesn't seem anyone in my club owns a copy.

More
20 Mar 2019 13:45 #294137 by hotseatgames
Gary, if you ever come through Northwest Ohio, I'll play Millennium Blades with you.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds