October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Reputation restoration - Monopoly

More
27 May 2019 12:30 #297716 by Legomancer
sorry, monopoly sucks and is bad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2019 12:41 #297735 by jeb
Au contraire, it is both of its time and still playable ~100 years later. a triumph.

I concur that, for me, TALISMAN is a better roll-and-move game, but I can't get everyone into that, honestly. Not everyone wants to hack at dragons. Also, people basically know how to play MONOPOLY, so there's no teaching.

Our "house rules" are following the actual rules. No fines-go-to-Free-Parking. Auctions if you opt to not buy the property (don't get cash poor in MONOPOLY!). Monopolies double rents. Before you go bankrupt, you sell all your hotels/houses back to the bank and mortgage everything (ie, max cash). Your debtee gets all your stuff, but has to unmortgage stuff (mortgage + 10%) to flip it back over. Houses are limited--if there aren't enough houses, you can't build.

The game goes fast if you follow the rules. There is not a lot of decision-making turn over turn, barring trades. Put a time limit on those and you can crush your foes within an hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon

More
28 May 2019 20:45 - 28 May 2019 20:45 #297753 by NeonPeon
Monopoly is not my favorite game but I have fun whenever I play it, and there is definitely some skill to it despite the oft-repeated hivemind mantra: "IT IS AN OBSOLETE DESIGN, A LUCKFEST THAT LACKS MEANINGFUL DECISION MAKING. THERE ARE FAR BETTER, MODERN, HIGHER-EVOLVED GAMES THAT INVOLVE CONVERTING COLORED CUBES INTO VICTORY POINTS."

My son was into it when he was about 4 or 5 and we played it a lot together, and we roped in family and friends, even my mom who's practically gameophobic because it's so embedded in our culture that everyone knows it. (We use the speed die which speeds up the game quite a lot.) One thing I like to point out that often gets ignored when I mention it on BGG or on Reddit (I just get piles of downvotes in the latter case) is that Monopoly tournaments see repeated champions! If it's meaningless dice rolling then how pray tell did Philippe Pinoli win the French Monopoly championship in 2015 , 2016 and 2017 ? (I used to only point out the 2015 and 2016 wins, but lo and behold he won yet again!) And these tournaments involve hundreds of players. Must be the luckiest man alive!
Last edit: 28 May 2019 20:45 by NeonPeon. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron

More
29 May 2019 11:01 #297761 by Shellhead
When I was 9, my parents gave me The Monopoly Book as a Christmas present. That, along with my dad's obsession with Acquire, probably ensured that boardgaming would always be one of my main hobbies. The book covered the real rules and the popular houserules, strategy, common methods of cheating, and even talked about Monopoly-related stunts to get into the Guiness Book of World Records. My favorite stunt was the people who made a waterproof and weighted Monopoly set and played it underwater in their backyard swimming pool while wearing scuba gear. The book also had a miniature Monopoly board on the cover, so you could use the book cover instead of the board if you had limited table space. The following year, I got my dad a Monopoly puzzle for his birthday. My family liked to work on puzzles together, so once in a while, we would do the Monopoly puzzle and then play a game or two after finishing the puzzle. The only house rules that we used were no auctions and free $50 if you landed on Free Parking.

My Monopoly phase gradually ended within a couple of years, as I realized that there were so many other games that I would rather play. And once I got into D&D and wargames, I rarely played family boardgames ever again. But Monopoly is not a terrible game, and I would rather play it again than most euros that I have tried. Nostalgia is probably a factor, but I also like player elimination games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds