October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Assessing my collection - Help a brother cull

More
28 Jul 2019 09:19 - 30 Jul 2019 19:24 #300140 by Jexik
We bought a 3x3 Kallax yesterday and I stuffed it full of my games, which I've been acquiring since 2007 when I got into Heroscape. I bought more things in the early years, and have already culled once this year. The games fit except for a few notable exceptions:

In alphabetical order and with notable feelings or self ratings...

Acquire- Never give this one up, even though it's the mostly paper version.
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (base)- This operates in a really crowded design space, but the wife loved it when we did play it.
Broom Service- Simple fun family Euro
Century: Golem Edition
Clank! In Space
Cosmic Encounter (Don't play it as often as it deserves)
Dead of Winter (kind over it, honestly. I do like the first expansion which I don't have, but did work on)
Dino Dunk
Dominion (still the undisputed deckbuilding king- fight me)
Dungeon Lords (One of the few WP games that I like)
Evolution
Evolution: Flight
Flick 'em Up (recently purchased- son's request)
Kingdomino - won SDJ and I still think it's underrated
Kingdomino: Giants
Love Letter (Boxed version)
Lovecraft Letter
Magic Labyrinth
Mysterium
Nexus Ops (AH)
Pandemic
Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (Complete)
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (may never complete)
Power Grid + A map which I forget what it was
Puzzle Strike (2nd edition, perhaps the best Dominion Clone, but I also have...)
Puzzle Strike Shadows (which came with the 3rd edition rules that balance out the strategies a bit)
Race for the Galaxy (dogeared)
Revolution! (A delightful underrated and nasty Euro-looking game. Unfortunately the wife despised it on first play).
2 copies of Risk Legacy doomed to perhaps never finish.
Root (love it)
Root Riverfolk (still haven't played with it but it's the top of my list, often the only thing I'll bring to game night, plus maybe RftG)
SETTLERS of Catan (Plus seafarers, also dogeared)
Small World
Small World Underground (got this first oddly. Unsure which I like better)
Stuffed Fables (only played one scenario, but was excited enough to paint it)
Tail Feathers - Never played, but could be a good X-wing replacement with my son if I sell those.
Tragedy Looper (wife's favorite game of all, we've finished the base game)
Tragedy Looper Mystery Circle (3 games in)
Tragedy Looper Cosmic Evil (in shrink, but on the wish list to play)
Yomi "Complete" first edition with all 10 decks. Neat, but may never play it again. Maybe if I could get my son interested. He's been watching Naruto lately.

Resting atop because it's too big:
Summoner Wars: basically everything except some of the 2nd summoners. (I was the lead playtester which makes it simultaneously hard to find opponents and hard to give up)
Robo Rally: Awkwardly sized AH edition. Well worn.

Hiding in the closet and causing minor marital discomfort: My once-culled but still comparatively large Heroscape collection.

Hiding in the trunk of my car: A tacklebox or 3 full of $250 in X-wing 1E minis.

Both are among my favorite games of all time, yet I haven't played them much in the last 4 years. 850 sq ft apartment makes it hard.

I was kind of surprised at how much room everything took up. I feel like I'm keeping a lot of stuff for sentimental value, which is also not very valuable to others. (Like Risk Legacy). Between Scape and X-wing, I feel like I should maybe sell the X-wing. It should be easy enough to re-acquire if I want to get into it when we get a bigger place. If anyone wants a list of ships and is interested in buying at ~50% MSRP, let me know.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2019 19:24 by Jexik. Reason: keeping it up to date. Thanks for all the input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2019 09:58 #300144 by Gary Sax
These threads are tough because I don't know what money and *especially* space mean to you. Similarly, is it a problem to own unique games you might play once or twice; what's your value proposition?

My first cut would always be anything you bought because it was on sale that you wouldn't otherwise buy.

I know which games of the ones you listed *I* would get rid of but that's pretty unique to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
28 Jul 2019 10:13 #300145 by Vysetron
I'm with Gary. Besides your needs being different from my own, the difference in tastes makes this tough. I will try though.

Based on your notes:
Yomi - if you do get into playing games with your son I have a feeling other ones you listed will take priority
Revolution - because if your wife hates it will you get to play it much?
Tail Feathers - how often would you willingly pick it over X-Wing?

Based on my opinions:
one of the Love Letters - because why have both
Clank in Space - you like dominion more, and I find clank really dull
Magic Labyrinth - at a certain point your son may not care about this one

Make sure to have a chat about the Heroscape stuff. If it's causing friction you may want to make culling a project WITH her. That way you'll both have agency in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
28 Jul 2019 10:18 #300146 by Ah_Pook
Tail Feathers is bad, get rid of it. I'm helping!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Jul 2019 10:34 - 28 Jul 2019 10:48 #300147 by Jexik

Vysetron wrote: I'm with Gary. Besides your needs being different from my own, the difference in tastes makes this tough. I will try though.

Based on your notes:
Yomi - if you do get into playing games with your son I have a feeling other ones you listed will take priority
Revolution - because if your wife hates it will you get to play it much?
Tail Feathers - how often would you willingly pick it over X-Wing?

Based on my opinions:
one of the Love Letters - because why have both
Clank in Space - you like dominion more, and I find clank really dull
Magic Labyrinth - at a certain point your son may not care about this one

Make sure to have a chat about the Heroscape stuff. If it's causing friction you may want to make culling a project WITH her. That way you'll both have agency in it.

Yomi - yeah, that's kind of my feeling on it. He already requested Dino Dunk because it's more visible now. Cost nearly $100, but I could see letting it go for like $20 plus shipping or something. When I cull I price to move.
Revolution- My friend who likes it the best bought it after a play or two, so I could really see this one going.
Tail Feathers- Has honestly gone unplayed, and it seems like it goes on a little long for what it is when I watched people play, but man are those minis cool looking. And I really feel like I might get rid of the X-wing, even though I don't have that much.

Love Letter- Good question. I like the small box of the original. You can fit it in a pocket if you want. Lovecraft letter feels better, even though it kind of drags on with the 6 players that it allows.

Clank in Space- I've only played it once, but I remember thinking it was interesting. The set up seemed kind of annoying though.

Magic Labyrinth- Good point. I think Heroscape might be the game my son wants to play the most, which is my main reason for not getting rid of it. He'll be 9 in September.

Gary Sax wrote: These threads are tough because I don't know what money and *especially* space mean to you. Similarly, is it a problem to own unique games you might play once or twice; what's your value proposition?

My first cut would always be anything you bought because it was on sale that you wouldn't otherwise buy.

I know which games of the ones you listed *I* would get rid of but that's pretty unique to me.

What are some games you'd cull Gary? Even knowing that we likely have different tastes.

I generally don't impulse buy things on sale, although TF was a well meaning gift.

I added a few more comments on games.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2019 10:48 by Jexik.

More
28 Jul 2019 11:36 - 28 Jul 2019 11:36 #300148 by RobertB
I'd pull all the bits out of the completed Pandemic S1 and pitch it, unless you really like having it around. I have done so with one of the three I've completed. I don't think it's replayable when finished.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2019 11:36 by RobertB.

More
28 Jul 2019 11:43 #300149 by mezike
(caveat that I am a serial shelf-culler and brutal with getting rid of stuff)

I think you should start from the perspective of the ones that you really want to keep because they get played and bring you and your family joy. I'd also put supposed inherent value out of your mind - you bought these games at a certain price and got value back by playing them (or not), and the exercise now is not about making money but making space.

The only games on the list that you seem particularly enthusiastic about are Aquire, Dominion, Root, and Tragedy Looper so I'd suggest you start from there and really ask yourself why you are still holding onto the others. If it isn't getting played then don't keep it, you can always replace it at a later date if the fancy so takes you.

Some observations on your list:

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (base)- are you really going to play this again?
Clank! in Space - only interesting, only played it once, kind of annoying. Doesn't sound like a keeper to me.
Cosmic Encounter - sounds like you don't play it much and if the people you are likely to play with have a copy then you don't need one yourself.
Dead of Winter - sounds like you've already decided that you're done with it.
Dungeon Lords (One of the few WP games that I like) - yes, but does it get played?
Evolution / Evolution: Flight - do you need and play both?
Love Letter (Boxed version) / Lovecraft Letter - agree that you only need one.
Pandemic / Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (Complete) / Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (may never complete) - are you holding on to Season 1 out of sentimentality or do you actually play it still? Original Pandemic can be picked up cheaply so maybe you only need to hold on to Season 2?
Power Grid + A map which I forget what it was - if you don't know what it is then is it really something you need to keep?
Puzzle Strike / Puzzle Strike Shadows - you don't need both and if you prefer Dominion then do you even need to keep either of these?
Revolution! - if your wife dislikes it then will it ever get played?
2 copies of Risk Legacy doomed to perhaps never finish - you sure as shoot don't need both and probably don't need either.
Tail Feathers - people have shelves and attics full of 'could-be's. Maybe you should ditch it and then go looking for stuff that your son expresses an interest in as and when he's ready?
Yomi "Complete" first edition with all 10 decks - you mention yourself that you're not expecting to play it again.
X-Wing - sounds like you've already come to a decision to get rid of this. I'm not going to persuade you otherwise as my own son, who is only a couple of years older than yours, has had far more enjoyment with Gaslands than he ever did with X-Wing.
Heroscape - sounds like you want to reduce this further but honestly, get rid of some of the other junk first as there are lower-hanging fruit here to free up some space. Then I agree with what Vysetron said about discussing it with your partner. With a few more boxes out of the house it might no longer be an issue if it's something that you have a passion for.

More
28 Jul 2019 14:28 - 28 Jul 2019 14:40 #300154 by Jexik

mezike wrote: Some observations on your list:

Some great points!

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (base)- are you really going to play this again? Not sure. My wife liked Jessa Na Ni so much she considered cosplaying as her.

Clank! in Space - only interesting, only played it once, kind of annoying. Doesn't sound like a keeper to me. Fair- I'm pretty big on deckbuilders though, at least good ones. I think we have the Harry Potter one somewhere too, as well as Paperback.

Cosmic Encounter - sounds like you don't play it much and if the people you are likely to play with have a copy then you don't need one yourself. Might be right.

Dead of Winter - sounds like you've already decided that you're done with it. Yeah!

Dungeon Lords (One of the few WP games that I like) - yes, but does it get played? No. But... Lol.

Evolution / Evolution: Flight - do you need and play both? Flight is not standalone, and I play with it every time that I do play.

Love Letter (Boxed version) / Lovecraft Letter - agree that you only need one.They're so small that it's low on the list of chopping for me. I'd rather ditch Lovecraft Letter I think and my wife would do the opposite.

Pandemic / Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (Complete) / Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (may never complete) - are you holding on to Season 1 out of sentimentality or do you actually play it still? Original Pandemic can be picked up cheaply so maybe you only need to hold on to Season 2?Maybe frame the S1 board and Goodwill the base game...

Power Grid + A map which I forget what it was - if you don't know what it is then is it really something you need to keep?It's France. Totally France.

Puzzle Strike / Puzzle Strike Shadows - you don't need both and if you prefer Dominion then do you even need to keep either of these? Bye bye pink box

Revolution! - if your wife dislikes it then will it ever get played? very rarely

2 copies of Risk Legacy doomed to perhaps never finish - you sure as shoot don't need both and probably don't need either. I might look at the second and see who the winners are. It had 2-4 plays on it.

Tail Feathers - people have shelves and attics full of 'could-be's. Maybe you should ditch it and then go looking for stuff that your son expresses an interest in as and when he's ready? Gaslands does sound great...

Yomi "Complete" first edition with all 10 decks - you mention yourself that you're not expecting to play it again. Yeah.

X-Wing - sounds like you've already come to a decision to get rid of this. I'm not going to persuade you otherwise as my own son, who is only a couple of years older than yours, has had far more enjoyment with Gaslands than he ever did with X-Wing. Yeah

Heroscape - sounds like you want to reduce this further but honestly, get rid of some of the other junk first as there are lower-hanging fruit here to free up some space. Then I agree with what Vysetron said about discussing it with your partner. With a few more boxes out of the house it might no longer be an issue if it's something that you have a passion for. Son already asked to play today. I can't see getting rid of all of it. He loves the terrain, and I love the figures, so I'm not sure what to cut. I already gutted 90% of the figures a year or two ago.

I think I'll set a stack in my mind of things to cull and ask my wife if any of them are things she'd miss, then offer them for bottom prices here just to cover shipping.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2019 14:40 by Jexik.

More
28 Jul 2019 16:40 #300160 by Mantidman
Having done two major moves in the last year, I understand the need for culling the herd and the importance of space. I would echo the suggestion of bringing your significant other into the decisions.
The things I let go and gave away, whether to Salvation Army or to friends of my sons, left me with a feeling of catharsis. I had quite a bit of X-wing and a custom mat, I gave it away. I have Wings of War and realized that I preferred its simplicity. Many of the other titles had not been played in years, if not a decade. I hope to get to play some of the titles that I retained, now that I am closer to people that play games.
Best of luck with your choices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2019 01:05 #300178 by mc
Lol at the awkward Robo Rally box. That thing is a bitch, mine is awkwardly placed on top as well. The worst thing is though that the boards ARE pretty much that big. You could shave some off the box if you were so inclined.... but not a lot.

Another couple of random (hopefully more helpful comments)

- 2 smallworlds? Pick one. I know you said you don't know, so if YOU don't know, ask the kids. I haven't played underworld, but, it's more or less just the same game right, when it comes down to it. Just a mix of different powers or whatever.

-I noticed this for Root, but there's other expansion material on there - are the expansions in their own boxes? Can they go in the original boxes? Sorry if you've done this already.

More
29 Jul 2019 04:54 #300179 by Nodens

mc wrote: Lol at the awkward Robo Rally box. That thing is a bitch, mine is awkwardly placed on top as well. The worst thing is though that the boards ARE pretty much that big.

That's 12'', you can put it in your record collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, mc

More
29 Jul 2019 08:48 - 29 Jul 2019 08:56 #300182 by Jexik
Did some culling last night.

To my bachelor friend with a ton of X-wing- All of my X wing. Dropped it off and suggested that maybe some other Sunday we'd actually play again. My son likes his video games.

To the garbage- The Risk Legacy game that is least likely to be replayed. It has enough spoilers that I don't even want some unfortunate soul finding it at goodwill.

To another friend- Revolution! He was surprised to see me culling it.

To Goodwill- OG pink Puzzle Strike box, Yomi, Love Letter, Dead of Winter, Dungeon Lords. Sorry, David Sirlin.

Felt good.

Until I went home and discovered 4 or 5 more games to put on the Kallax, which filled it up again. Our other shelves are getting room though...

Notable non-culls- Clank! Wife decided we should give it another shot. Either Small World. We had good arguments for keeping either one... kind of split on it. Base Pandemic- if we want to play with our son - he's not in the S2 Legacy game, just the two of us. Ashes- Wife is pretty sentimental on it and wants to give it another go. Cosmic Encounter, and Nexus Ops. Great games that my wife is like, "When have you played these? I never hear you talk about them." Any of these games might go in the coming year, and with the exception of NO, would be easy to re-acquire.

Games I found to add back to the wall: Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle- wife is a huge fan of the source material, and we got to like round 4. Paperback. Coup Rebellion G54. Machi Koro. One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Skull. And I know 7 Wonders is somewhere, maybe my trunk.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 08:56 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Mantidman

More
29 Jul 2019 12:45 #300205 by BillyBobThwarton
Machi Koro seems like a good one to cull
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Jul 2019 13:30 #300208 by Sagrilarus

Nodens wrote:

mc wrote: Lol at the awkward Robo Rally box. That thing is a bitch, mine is awkwardly placed on top as well. The worst thing is though that the boards ARE pretty much that big.

That's 12'', you can put it in your record collection.

You don't realize how handy a band saw is until you own one.

More
29 Jul 2019 13:37 #300212 by Ah_Pook
To expand, Tail Feathers is beautiful but every single thing in the game is over complicated and super clunky. It's all adding numbers from 3 different cards together and having to remember which of the numerous different numbers/icons modify different things at different times and on and on. There's a good core there but it needed a heavy streamlining/editing pass on the rules before release. My wife and I played it twice and sold it. Shame because the minis really are next level.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds