October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Shivers of Anticipation - What Games Are You Looking Forward To

More
01 Sep 2019 01:18 #301292 by Not Sure
Root expansion, Dune (never bought an AH copy or made my own), and Imperial Struggle if it ever comes out.

Still on the fence about Mystery Wizard.

These are pretty much the only things out there that I want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 01:55 #301294 by Gary Sax
Oh yeah, forgot the root expansion. Looking forward to that one.

More
01 Sep 2019 07:29 #301295 by Dr. Mabuse
Abomination. That's about it. I'm not able to keep up with what's out there anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
27 Sep 2019 15:23 - 27 Sep 2019 15:24 #302046 by southernman
This is more of a "has anyone seen or been following this KSer Aeon Trespass: Odyssey that I've only just seen?" post but thought this was the best thread to throw it in, I'm thinking maybe Charlie Theel as he keeps an eye on big KSers like this (and reviewed Kingdom Death: Monster which posts say is similar to this).
Anyway I've just seen it with a few days left and it looks, to my limited experience of these new big games, like being a combination of Lords Of Hellas (which I've been geeting into) and Tainted Grail (which I have coming) so it is looking totally up my street ... although at $129 it will be one of just a few game purchases for whichever year I assign it against (expected Jan 2021 :whistle:).
So I'll watch some reviews and read the beta rulebook and then if not put off put a placeholder $1 pledge in unless some good oil comes in here, either way, to change my thoughts.
Speak up denizens of the KS world.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2019 15:24 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
27 Sep 2019 15:48 #302047 by charlest
Yeah, guilty. Already backed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

More
27 Sep 2019 16:13 #302048 by hotseatgames
Has a very Awaken Realms vibe to it. My group just doesn't have the cohesion to ever make a game like that work.

More
27 Sep 2019 16:14 #302049 by southernman

charlest wrote: Yeah, guilty. Already backed.

Bugger ...

More
27 Sep 2019 16:22 #302050 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote: Has a very Awaken Realms vibe to it. My group just doesn't have the cohesion to ever make a game like that work.

I have a bit of an issue with that in my group going through the Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls campaigns, the three others are big rpg players and two of them are renown for doing dumb (interesting they say) things in those games, and trying to get through a scenario where you have to mind each others backs or get killed is a game in itself.
So, yeah, Tainted Grail and this one will test my patience.

More
27 Sep 2019 18:11 #302052 by Jackwraith
On topic: I'm looking forward to Tiny Epic Tactics. The game looks like an attempt to translate MOBAs like League of Legends into a boardgame. Plus, as standard for the TE line, they figured out a way to pack 4 players' worth of varied meeples, tokens, cards, and 3-D terrain(!) into one of those small boxes. It was a Kickstarter, but I found the whole package on Gamelyn Games' website, including everything that would have come from being a backer. Ships in December. Dice Tower did a decent (paid!) promotion:

More
27 Sep 2019 19:44 - 27 Sep 2019 19:59 #302053 by Frohike

southernman wrote: This is more of a "has anyone seen or been following this KSer Aeon Trespass: Odyssey that I've only just seen?" post but thought this was the best thread to throw it in, I'm thinking maybe Charlie Theel as he keeps an eye on big KSers like this (and reviewed Kingdom Death: Monster which posts say is similar to this).
Anyway I've just seen it with a few days left and it looks, to my limited experience of these new big games, like being a combination of Lords Of Hellas (which I've been geeting into) and Tainted Grail (which I have coming) so it is looking totally up my street ... although at $129 it will be one of just a few game purchases for whichever year I assign it against (expected Jan 2021 :whistle:).
So I'll watch some reviews and read the beta rulebook and then if not put off put a placeholder $1 pledge in unless some good oil comes in here, either way, to change my thoughts.
Speak up denizens of the KS world.

This guy's video is pretty good.

And yeah, this is another one of those games that I find difficult to resist.

I'm anticipating the new Vast: The Mysterious Manor which seems more accessible than its predecessor (incidentally kinda like Aeon Trespass above) and Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein because a long WP about assembling cadaver parts... just seems like something I should give a shot.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2019 19:59 by Frohike.

More
27 Sep 2019 22:03 #302057 by Greg Aleknevicus
I was browsing BoardGameBliss recently (to see if the copy of Dune I ordered had shipped) and I discovered that a new version of Big City is coming out. My first thought was "Well, that's expensive!" My second was "Hey! They're using my extra buildings in the expansion pack!"*

I wrote these rules over 17 years ago, but the only feedback I ever got was from the designer (Franz-Benno Delonge) that he liked the ideas. I'm very curious what the response will be from people who actually play the game with them.

*With my permission, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, mads b., southernman, Gary Sax, Jason Lutes, Frohike, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
30 Sep 2019 18:17 #302100 by Frohike
I'm actually having a tough time deciding between Aeon Trespass and the upcoming Oathsworn. The latter has some more interesting things going on in the gameplay department: a "cards or dice" system for checks, a weird (multi-purpose) ability card rotation system around the player mat for cooldowns, body part targets on bosses & retaliatory effects when certain parts are destroyed. But it's also much more defined in the narrative department (heavily written/crafted text, less RNG style storytelling) whereas Aeon Trespass seems more open & RNG and has a 7th Continent style exploration system. They both look beautiful, though ATO's setting is more innovative whereas Oathsworn is just straight up grimdark fantasy.

More
02 Oct 2019 13:01 - 02 Oct 2019 13:03 #302140 by southernman
I've just seen Oathsworn and ... (depending on delivery dates - which never are right anyway :laugh: - I may do both :whistle:, just mightn't be buying any other games for that year (yeah, right) .
I'm really getting into 'story rpg/adventure games' with Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls and Folklore: The Affliction in my current game sessions and with Waste Knights, Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles and Tainted Grail arriving next year these two for 2021 seem a no-brainer.

Frohike wrote: I'm actually having a tough time deciding between Aeon Trespass and the upcoming Oathsworn. The latter has some more interesting things going on in the gameplay department: a "cards or dice" system for checks, a weird (multi-purpose) ability card rotation system around the player mat for cooldowns, body part targets on bosses & retaliatory effects when certain parts are destroyed. But it's also much more defined in the narrative department (heavily written/crafted text, less RNG style storytelling) whereas Aeon Trespass seems more open & RNG and has a 7th Continent style exploration system. They both look beautiful, though ATO's setting is more innovative whereas Oathsworn is just straight up grimdark fantasy.

Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 13:03 by southernman.

More
02 Oct 2019 13:34 - 04 Oct 2019 13:14 #302141 by Frohike

southernman wrote: I've just seen Oathsworn and ... (depending on delivery dates - which never are right anyway :laugh: - I may do both :whistle:, just mightn't be buying any other games for that year (yeah, right) .
I'm really getting into 'story rpg/adventure games' with Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls and Folklore: The Affliction in my current game sessions and with Waste Knights, Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles and Tainted Grail arriving next year these two for 2021 seem a no-brainer.

I'm in the same space. I know it's been vogue here & elsewhere to shit on these quasi-RPGs with miniatures & skirmishes, roll your eyes at the KS glut that foments them, and tell people to just play analog D&D or whatever, but to me this feels like a genre that's actually coming into it's own and I think the KDM imitator element might have something to do with that. For every "roll 5/6 on a D6 or die" design that hangs on nostalgia or IP or limited print runs (e.g. Darklight, Dark Souls), there are more interesting designs coming out of the churn. I'd never considered that the Folklore model of a heavily narrative quasi-RPG would become fused with the KDM boss fight conceit, or that someone would just run with KDMs ideas and make something a bit more accessible and in an equally interesting setting. I'm curious to see where this trend leads.

P.S. Remember when folks on here were wishing that KDM wasn't so tightly bound to the model-assembly aspects? Well, that barrier is dropping. Aeon Trespass has preassembled minis, as does Oathsworn, and the latter offers a cardboard standee option.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2019 13:14 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, charlest, BillyBobThwarton

More
02 Oct 2019 15:44 - 02 Oct 2019 15:53 #302144 by southernman
I'm really interested how these types of games are starting to use app content as well as a storybook. Waste Knights are talking about adding new stories via the app coming with the game, Oathsworn seems to be going to use it in a big way, and this new Time of Legends: Destinies has the whole story designed and written into the app (where they have already done this previously with Chronicles of Crime).

Oh - and I forgot to mention FFG's Descent Road to Legend and Imperial Assault Legends of the Alliance campaign content in those apps, they have been bloody awesome.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 15:53 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds