October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Paste Magazine's Top 25 Board Games of the 2010s

More
11 Nov 2019 11:57 - 11 Nov 2019 11:58 #304076 by Legomancer
The 25 Best Board Games of the 2010s

Spoiler alert:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 11 Nov 2019 11:58 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2019 12:06 #304078 by charlest
Keith Law is hit and miss, but it's nice seeing mainstream content like this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
11 Nov 2019 12:09 #304079 by Shellhead
How many tens of thousands of board games were published in the 2010s? I don't know that anybody is really capable of writing a meaningful top 25 list for that time span, at least not one that rises above the level of Here Are 25 Games I Liked. I can tell that the writer was indoctrinated by BGG at an early stage, because this list reflects the usual bias of BGG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, lj1983

More
11 Nov 2019 12:10 - 11 Nov 2019 12:13 #304080 by Gary Sax
I never know what to think about stuff like this, even outside of board games. I'm in a very different hardcore audience and this is a list of dainty light games, so...? This feels like an especially weird list to me though. Not really even a euro fan's list.

Barely even heard a ripple on some of these, though I know of them: Charterstone, Patchwork, Broom Service, Gizmos (literally never heard of it), Whistle Stop, New Bedford, Imhotep, Takenoko.

AND WINGSPAN AT #2 HELL YEAH. You know my feelings on that.

These are always fun, though, as a reflection of the reviewer. I'd love to see some of our reviewers do something similar for themselves.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2019 12:13 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Nov 2019 12:35 #304081 by charlest
Gizmos was pretty popular last year and Patchwork is actually a hugely popular game among couples who game. It's probably the most recommended game on Reddit in that format for the past several years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Nov 2019 12:40 - 11 Nov 2019 12:40 #304083 by Gary Sax
Interesting, I've seen a fair number of photos of it and know it's a Rosenberg but didn't know it found a big audience.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2019 12:40 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Nov 2019 18:24 #304104 by southernman
I've only heard of (many of those never actually seen) 13 of them, only played one (7 Wonders, once), and from a brief description of the ones I barely or do not know and knowledge of the others I would only play one (Pandemic: Legacy).
So, a very uneventful (and useless ?) list.

More
11 Nov 2019 18:27 #304105 by Gary Sax
Thinking about this more, it's kind of blowing me away that New Bedford is on this list. It was a hyped kickstarter because it was very pretty, but I thought it didn't come out in too good a shape when actually produced? Could be wrong.

More
11 Nov 2019 20:22 #304108 by Jackwraith
Broom Service: Never heard of it. And if it's a remake of a game from the previous decade, how can it be among the best of this one?
Welcome To...: Never heard of it.
Tzolk'in: Decent. (Although if you're making a listicle, the least you can do is make sure your names are right.)
Whistle Stop: Heard of it. Never played (And if this guy is "an unabashed fan of TTR games", I know I won't like this list.)
Gizmos: Heard of it. Never played or seen. (And here we get the announcement of the designer bias.)
Terraforming Mars: Played it. IMO, it's overrated and I'm trying to trade it.
The Mind: Played it. It's OK.
Patchwork: Never heard of it.
Istanbul: Played it. Mildly dislike it because it tends to attract a certain kind of gamer that I find irritating.
Kodama: Heard of it because I remember the raves about the art style, but never played.
King of Tokyo: Played it. I like it, to a certain degree, but certainly not a game I'd put on a "Best of" list.
Charterstone: Heard of it only because I know of Stegmaier and his designs. Never played (and am not a fan of his stuff, by and large.)
Sagrada: Never heard of it.
Imhotep: I own it and enjoy it, but would never have thought to put it on a list like this but, again, there's your designer bias.
New Bedford: Never heard of it.
Everdell: Know it. Root as worker placement. Meh.
Takenoko: Have played it. Decent.
Great Western Trail: Played it. Good engine builder (Better than Wingspan...)
7 Wonders Duel: Know it, but never played.
Pandemic Legacy: I avoid all things Pandemic like the (ahem) plague and have for years.
Azul: Own it because it was an Xmas gift for the girlfriend. We're both OK with it, but not thrilled.
Splendor: Have played many times and genuinely enjoy this one.
Castles of Burgundy: Played it. Decent.
Wingspan: This is laughable at #2. It smacks of recency bias in the loudest possible fashion.
7 Wonders: Solid game, but repetitive. Have played many times and not really interested in going again.

Gary is right. These are almost all very light Euros and the guy's bias toward that style washes over everything. I wonder: When his editor handed him this assignment, was it "the" list or "your" list? Because this is clearly a "your" list, but presented as "the" list. What's hilarious is that among his honorable mentions is Root; a game which has virtually nothing in common with anything else here. Is that lip service to something that other people actually liked, even though he probably didn't?

More
11 Nov 2019 23:38 #304114 by WadeMonnig
Well, i will say it wouldn't be my list. Maybe two or three I could see making my list. Surprised Scythe wasn't on it since it Looks like a "culled from the hotness list." I thought whistle stop was the surprise bomb of last year... all hype and no follow through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

More
11 Nov 2019 23:55 #304115 by Gary Sax
I mean, I don't personally think there is a "the" list but I find this list in particular a very weird niche of games/preferences.

More
12 Nov 2019 00:59 #304118 by Space Ghost
This gets back to the conversation that we were having in the other thread with Josh, where most reviewers just provide a review on whether they liked it or not. Without a criteria defining what it means to be on the list, it is just a "well, I liked it".

Kind of bizarre -- who knows what my list would look like. Very little to none of this stuff though. Off the top of my head, probably would at include (criterion: either innovative for their genre or just plays very smooth)

Gloomhaven
Mage Knight
Robinson Crusoe
Star Wars Rebellion
Dead of Winter
Great Western Trail
Spirit Island
Food Chain Magnate
Root
Codenames
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
12 Nov 2019 09:27 #304124 by Shellhead
That top 25 list reads like it was written by someone who:
1. Got into boardgaming about 5 years ago
2. Plays at a local game shop where everybody was inducted into the hobby via BGG
3. Has played a total of maybe 60 games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
12 Nov 2019 09:28 #304125 by RobertB
It says right at the top, "This is my list." I'm surprised that the editors at Paste didn't balk at that, since it has "Top 25..." as the title, not "My Top 25..."

At least the writer is honest; IANA writer, but if that had ended up on my desk I'd have probably just ripped off BGG and taken the top 25 that met the criteria straight off of their list.

More
12 Nov 2019 09:55 - 12 Nov 2019 09:58 #304127 by ChristopherMD
Never heard of Paste Magazine before this. Was just looking at some of the games from the past decade that I own and noticed that Castle Ravenloft came out in 2010 so will have its 10th Anniversary soon. Pretty sure it was the cream of the crop back then before there was a new dungeon-crawler on KS every week. Not sure it would make my top 25 list but I wouldn't begrudge it a place on someone else's. I can say that if I did do a Top 25 of 2010's it would probably have 25 completely different games from theirs. As Shellhead said, this looks like a list from someone who hasn't been in the hobby for 10 years.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2019 09:58 by ChristopherMD.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds