October 09, 2023
2459 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Holiday board game loot!

More
18 Dec 2019 21:24 #305249 by Gary Sax
Alright, I just submitted my final grades and we're in the middle of the holidays---Hanukkah starts this weekend. Hit me with any games you got... or are waiting on, since it's an older crowd on the forums who's mostly getting gifts for others and themselves. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2019 21:26 #305250 by san il defanso
I mentioned this somewhere, but I'm about 95% sure I'm getting Star Wars: Outer Rim for Christmas. I'm really excited about it, because it's a genre I love, and a setting I love, and I think my son will love it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Josh Look

More
18 Dec 2019 21:41 #305251 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Holiday board game loot!
Not sure everything I'm getting but i can confirm Ante Up for Western Legends. And, in my best story of the year, when I read my Western Legends review when it went live, the fistful of extras showed up in the Amazon link of the story... so, after complaining i couldn't get it in the actual review, i ordered it from a link in my review... and supported TWBG in the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Ah_Pook

More
18 Dec 2019 21:47 - 18 Dec 2019 21:49 #305252 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Holiday board game loot!
Getting for me wife and I: Agricola All Creatures Big And Small Big Box, Thunder And Lightning

She said she didn't get me any games so that's probably it for board games. I'm waiting on my Black Friday giant pile of Galaxy Defenders to come (should be arriving tomorrow), which counts as a gift for myself. I got all of it, minus the harder enemy packs which seemed pointless.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 21:49 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Dec 2019 21:53 - 19 Dec 2019 02:57 #305254 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Holiday board game loot!
omg, where did you find Agricola: ACBAS Big Box?!

I’ve been hunting for that one.

I’ve picked up Empires of the North, mostly because I think it fits what the family likes to play even though the multiplayer solitaire aspect isn’t... my favorite thing. I never expanded Imperial Settlers so this may very well replace it (we never got into the deck construction part of it).

Also getting the Rise of Fenris expansion since Scythe has been well received here (I enjoy it too, oddly enough) and it sounds like the modules add plenty of interesting variants etc. I’m not sure we’ll ever do the campaign. I still want those airships, but this is enough for now.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 02:57 by Frohike.

More
18 Dec 2019 22:07 #305256 by Ah_Pook
They had it at a brick and mortar store I went to while on a trip recently, so I snagged it. I had been meaning to rebuy, since we had the original with one expansion but traded it for some good stuff back when it was hard to get. But then the big box got impossible to find too before I pulled to trigger heh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
18 Dec 2019 23:14 #305260 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Holiday board game loot!
I'm getting wax for my crokinole board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ModelVillain, Frohike

More
19 Dec 2019 01:16 #305264 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Holiday board game loot!
Is crokinole wax multipurpose?

More
19 Dec 2019 07:46 - 19 Dec 2019 07:53 #305266 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Holiday board game loot!

san il defanso wrote: I mentioned this somewhere, but I'm about 95% sure I'm getting Star Wars: Outer Rim for Christmas. I'm really excited about it, because it's a genre I love, and a setting I love, and I think my son will love it too.

Awesome. It’s one of my favorite games of the year, deserves way more candor than it’s getting. I’ve probably played over a dozen times now and the small-ish decks are still not a problem, the different career path feel so completely different and it’s frustration-free approach to a genre that’s typically packed with frustration should be applauded. It has retired Firefly for me.

I actually put more expansions on my list than new games this year. I’m excited to revisit old favorites. I did, however, cave to Xia being back in stock and ordered myself a copy and the expansion. I was extremely underwhelmed by it years ago and the fan base’s need to tell me that Xia is superior to Firefly and Outer Rim pushed me to outright hating it. I’m giving it another chance though, maybe the expansion and a fresh set of eyes will help. If it doesn’t, the way this thing goes in and out of stock, I will have no problem flipping it.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 07:53 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
19 Dec 2019 07:59 #305267 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Holiday board game loot!
I believe I'm getting Cthulhu Death May Die Season 2 and the first big expansion for Galaxy Trucker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
19 Dec 2019 10:07 #305273 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Holiday board game loot!
I've had OUTER RIM in my closet for a couple months, waiting for this holiday season for my fam to give it to me, haha. My kid's getting an EXIT game, so we'll be in on that too.

More
19 Dec 2019 10:12 - 19 Dec 2019 10:14 #305274 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Holiday board game loot!

Ah_Pook wrote: She said she didn't get me any games so that's probably it for board games. I'm waiting on my Black Friday giant pile of Galaxy Defenders to come (should be arriving tomorrow), which counts as a gift for myself. I got all of it, minus the harder enemy packs which seemed pointless.

Same! (except I got my pile of GD, also minus the harder enemies, a couple of days ago) Only Black Friday deal I went for. Enjoy sorting the two expansions that aren't supposed to mix with each other or the base game until you get to the particular campaign...ugh.

My wife doesn't buy me games, I already buy too many of them myself to ever need her to do that. But I may have gotten a certain 1989 Batmobile LEGO...
Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 10:14 by cdennett.

More
19 Dec 2019 10:14 #305277 by Ah_Pook

Josh Look wrote:

san il defanso wrote: I mentioned this somewhere, but I'm about 95% sure I'm getting Star Wars: Outer Rim for Christmas. I'm really excited about it, because it's a genre I love, and a setting I love, and I think my son will love it too.

Awesome. It’s one of my favorite games of the year, deserves way more candor than it’s getting. I’ve probably played over a dozen times now and the small-ish decks are still not a problem, the different career path feel so completely different and it’s frustration-free approach to a genre that’s typically packed with frustration should be applauded. It has retired Firefly for me.

I actually put more expansions on my list than new games this year. I’m excited to revisit old favorites. I did, however, cave to Xia being back in stock and ordered myself a copy and the expansion. I was extremely underwhelmed by it years ago and the fan base’s need to tell me that Xia is superior to Firefly and Outer Rim pushed me to outright hating it. I’m giving it another chance though, maybe the expansion and a fresh set of eyes will help. If it doesn’t, the way this thing goes in and out of stock, I will have no problem flipping it.

Keep me in mind in 5 months when you want to sell xia ;)

I forgot I ordered Babylonia from German Amazon too, I guess that'll be a Christmas present if it arrives in time. It's the new knizia tile laying game. Positive buzz, comparisons saying it's like Blue Lagoon+Samurai+T&E, beautiful production... Yea that's getting ordered.

More
19 Dec 2019 16:16 #305296 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Holiday board game loot!
I was told I have something arriving in January. She'd tell me if I asked, but I expressly asked not to be told. So in the meantime I've been looking at x or y and saying "Is this OK to get?" I have a feeling it's some sort of luxe game add-on since she told me it was something I'd like but wouldn't buy myself. I also didn't get my spouse any games this time, either, because we have enough to play. (I'm not being all that virtuous, because I bought Marvel Champions after the all-clear and floated the idea of The Gallerist, which she nixed.)

More
19 Dec 2019 16:42 #305297 by Michael Barnes
I got Tiny Epic Mechs for my son and Simpsons Codenames for my daughter.

I’ve been raising hell on eBay so this is my haul from Black Friday to today:

Mothership (amazing SF horror RPG)
- Dead Planet
- Pound of flesh

Troika (sort of hack of Gene Wolfe, Terry Pratchett, City of Chaos, and a mountain of blotter acid$
- Fronds of Benevolence

Old School Essentials (1st Ed. B/X D&D modernized)
- Hole in the Oak
- Winter’s Daughter

Sick but expensive eBay lot with Isle of Dread, Castle of Amber, The Lost City, Against the Reptile Cult, Palace of the Silver Princess, and Dwellers of the Forbidden City (for use with OSE)

Disciples of Bone and Shadow (great solo RPG)

Witchburner (grim AF role play heavy adventure about...witchburning)

Dungeon Crawl Classics
-One Who Watches from Below
-Sailors on the Starless Sea
-Jewels of the Carnifex
-Doom of the Savage Kings
-Bride of the Black Manse
-Emerald Enchater
-Chaos Rising
-Blades Against Death

Most of this stuff come from the greatest online shop in the word Exalted Funeral, which had a crazy sale, and the DCC was straight from Goodman at 40% off cover.

And on top of all this, I got in all the Forbidden Lands stuff from their Kickstarter, which I actually backed.

Oh...this was supposed to be board game loot?
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds