October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Best Games of 2019

More
03 Jan 2020 00:54 - 03 Jan 2020 00:56 #305718 by Scott_F
Replied by Scott_F on topic Best Games of 2019
Most of my games are pretty consistent and have been high on my list in prior years. This is just most played, so definitely not a new to me list but rather what I choose to spend my time on. [edit: number is times played during 2019].

Glory to Rome - 10. No surprise here, its pretty easy to teach and transport and can be taught/finished in about 60 minutes. Amazing game.

Dune - 9. Very happy with the reprint and double spice/advanced combat to make sure alliances occur often enough. Not thrilled about the expansion plans and no doubt further murky rule issues or imbalances as new houses are subbed out for the original 6. Dune has about a 90% success rate with me teaching it to new players. Only a few said it wasn't worth the time.

Argent - 7. Top worker placement game with a million options and ways you can feel clever. Great mix of fun and strategy and fucking with the other players.

Food Chain Magnate - 7. Kinda a product of new people I play games with since moving. Pulls in the euro snobs but is a straightforward area control game that can be very very mean.

Cthulhu Wars/Rising Sun - 7. Both fell a bit in my rotation. I still think both games are great, albeit CW is shorter and punchier while RS feels like a smarter area control game. Sure wish my shelves weren't clogged with all the extra CW plastic shit though like a million neutral Old Ones I will never use.

Best new game to me 2019 - No question for me. Princes of the Renaissance. Love the auctions, manipulating houses, and variable round endings. Would've been played more but when we have 4/5 people willing to go 3 hours on a single game I'm gonna push for the extra couple people and Dune instead.

New games honorable mention. Root w/Lizards/otters. Star Wars Rebellion w/expansion. Lords of Hellas. Pax Pamir 2nd.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 00:56 by Scott_F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2020 09:32 #305724 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Best Games of 2019
The perception of people being on the cutting edge of what is new and hot is over stated. Most of the Christmas Haul pics on Facebook are copies of Dominion, Azul, Inis, and others that don't pop into my mind as the latest hotness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith

More
03 Jan 2020 10:05 #305725 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Best Games of 2019
Agree with that. As has been stated many times here, no one can actually keep up with the flow of new stuff coming out (although Charlie does really well.) It's just funny that, as a nominally forward-looking review site, it feels incumbent upon people here to be immersed in the latest hotness. Unless they're niche/genre-oriented, you don't see movie sites talking about movies from 20 years ago. They're talking about movies from 2019 for the Oscars/Golden Globes/whathaveyou.

But the difference in medium is also present. Buying a $100 game that you have to play more than once (for however many hours) to really understand it is different than buying a $10 movie ticket for an experience that last two hours and from which a review can be written.

And I forgot a couple: Played Set A Watch, which was OK. Also played Wingspan a few times, which was forgettable (and traded.) Still, most of my really good experiences were with stuff older than 2019.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
03 Jan 2020 10:26 #305726 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Best Games of 2019
Scott's OP is pretty neat. I always log my games on BGG, and I always review on New Years day. Here's how 2019 shaped up for me:

DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game 22
The Supershow 8
Betrayal Legacy 5
The Walking Dead: All Out War 5
Qwirkle 4
Azul 3
Blood Bowl (2016 edition) 3
DreadBall Ultimate 3
Escape the Dark Castle 3
Love Letter 3
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) 3
7 Wonders Duel 2
Batman: Gotham City Chronicles 2
Cthulhu Wars 2
Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition) 2
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 2
Ticket to Ride 2
Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume One 2
The Walking Dead: Here's Negan – The Board Game 2
Wiz-War (eighth edition) 2
Axis & Allies & Zombies 1
BattleTech Introductory Box Set 1
Blood Rage 1
Dune 1
Horrible Haikus 1
Jaws 1
RUMBLESLAM 1
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery 1
Terraforming Mars 1
The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 1

I had break throughs with The Walking Dead (AOW) and The Supershow. That was nice. I had a lot of disappointment with Betrayal Legacy. It's most certainly soured me on Legacy games going forward. A perceived slight from the publisher has completely turned me off Rumbleslam. The worst game for me was Horrible Haikus, but I'm not a party kind-of-gamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Legomancer, Scott_F

More
03 Jan 2020 12:18 #305730 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Best Games of 2019

jeb wrote: SEAL TEAM FUX: Worth tracking down—there is nothing like it. Love this game, and wish I could play it more. I wish I knew the rules to this like I know those for AH.

This has been the game I've most enjoyed this year, in spite of my buddy Cody screwing it up by being temporarily paralyzed. Selfish! This is just a great cooperative game because there is no way to have one player take over, no clear best-path because of the flicking aspect of the play. If more cooperative games played this way I'd be a much bigger fan of the genre. But, they don't. Last game night I asked for this because my whole squad was there but something else got pulled out instead. I may steal the copy and restart it with my boys if I can't get in restarted with the game group.

Only about 60 plays for the entire year, and almost all of them onesies. I have Leaving Earth hot on the deck but haven't gotten to a game night to give it a run. Valor & Victory is due for a new release next week and that's on my short list as well. Here's hoping 2020 has more gaming than 2019.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
29 Jan 2020 13:25 - 29 Jan 2020 13:29 #306740 by bellajohn009
Replied by bellajohn009 on topic Best Games of 2019
I'm hoping to in the end get Lifeform out quickly so I can get the evaluation carried out, I'm pretty certain Nemesis might be on top (from analyzing the Lifeform policies and looking the clothier play) however desire that Lifeform performs well enough to live on my shelves. Actually Minecraft had a couple of accurate (i.E. Near losses :pinch: ) games of Legendary Encounters: Aliens this week, 2-participant and that appears to be the first-rate participant matter to have an excellent chance with this collection, so will be satisfied to have 3 exceptional Aliens video games to choose from.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 13:29 by ubarose. Reason: remove questionable link

More
29 Jan 2020 14:44 #306744 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Best Games of 2019

bellajohn009 wrote: I'm hoping to in the end get Lifeform out quickly so I can get the evaluation carried out, I'm pretty certain Nemesis might be on top (from analyzing the Lifeform policies and looking the clothier play) however desire that Lifeform performs well enough to live on my shelves. Actually Minecraft had a couple of accurate (i.E. Near losses :pinch: ) games of Legendary Encounters: Aliens this week, 2-participant and that appears to be the first-rate participant matter to have an excellent chance with this collection, so will be satisfied to have 3 exceptional Aliens video games to choose from.

I’d be real interested to see a comparison of LIFEFORM vs. NEMESIS. I’ve played the latter a bunch in the last month.

More
29 Jan 2020 15:03 #306746 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Best Games of 2019

Msample wrote: I’d be real interested to see a comparison of LIFEFORM vs. NEMESIS. I’ve played the latter a bunch in the last month.

Space Biff already did this, if you haven't seen it: spacebiff.com/2019/12/04/lifeform-v-nemesis/

General consensus (not just from Dan) is that both are good, Nemesis is better, if more unreliable. I pretty much hate any semi-coop game (unless it's short, like Hellapagos), which means I will continue to avoid Nemesis despite the accolades it gets.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds