October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Games You Regret Trading or Selling

More
17 Jun 2021 22:56 #324065 by Jexik
Oh no doubt.

It was a 'bad' trade from a financial standpoint, but a pretty big win in getting a classic game in good condition and the right version.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2021 04:43 #324067 by Matt Thrower

southernman wrote: I think Blockmania (and expansion) because it will never be reprinted

Never say never.

2000ad.com/news/go-crazy-the-block-mania-boardgame-is-back/

I tried hard to think of a single game that I really regret shifting and couldn't come up with one. There are some big contenders too, including Chaos in the Old World, Mage Knight and Blood Bowl Team Manager. But they weren't getting played, and that's the end of it. Wish I could apply the same logic to the dozens of less valuable games that aren't getting played and clog up my attic.

More
18 Jun 2021 14:23 #324085 by southernman

Matt Thrower wrote:

southernman wrote: I think Blockmania (and expansion) because it will never be reprinted

Never say never.

2000ad.com/news/go-crazy-the-block-mania-boardgame-is-back/

I tried hard to think of a single game that I really regret shifting and couldn't come up with one. There are some big contenders too, including Chaos in the Old World, Mage Knight and Blood Bowl Team Manager. But they weren't getting played, and that's the end of it. Wish I could apply the same logic to the dozens of less valuable games that aren't getting played and clog up my attic.

Oh you're months behind ;), I picked the new edition up in Feb and Mezike passed on an extra copy of Megamania so it is back on the shelves - just got to find time to fit it in with the Lockdown backlog plus the KS tsunami competing for attention ....

More
22 Jun 2021 22:14 #324162 by Andi Lennon
Recently I was almost convinced to trade away my copy of 'Crossbows and Catapults'. I sometimes wake in a cold sweat thinking about it. Then I remember I kept it and rest easy knowing it can toad on toadily beneath its nostalgic halo.

More
23 Jun 2021 07:59 #324168 by mezike

southernman wrote: Mezike passed on an extra copy of Megamania

I cannot take credit for that act of generosity, it was my good friend Sornars who made that offer. But we do look a lot alike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, sornars

More
25 Jun 2022 21:12 #333904 by Cranberries

Gregarius wrote: There have been many games that I have regretted getting rid of, but almost inevitably it really comes down to longing for the time, the place, and the friends necessary to enjoy the game. It's something I'm trying to get better at: accepting the fact that no matter how many great memories I have of a game played in the past, that doesn't mean that I will have that experience again in the future. Time marches on, but that doesn't mean that I need to bring all of my games along with me.

I missed this the first time around. It has gone into my collection of permanent notes. I feel this way about games I played with my kids, the youngest of whom is going to college in the fall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, Gregarius, n815e, Kmann, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
26 Jun 2022 01:10 #333908 by san il defanso
I sold a bunch more games before moving to Kenya, but Duel of Ages II survived either because I’m too weak or too strong to sell it, I can’t decide which.

I’m rebuying Taj Mahal because that’s another one on my list and it’s going out of print again. Still cheap now though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, n815e

More
26 Jun 2022 16:08 #333914 by Virabhadra
I sort of wish I still had Battlelore and Shadows Over Camelot. I haven't played either since they came out and I'd be curious to handle and play them again. Days of Wonder was a poster child for lavish components for a minute there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars, Gregarius, n815e

More
29 Jun 2022 15:57 #333956 by san il defanso
I rebought Shadows Over Camelot at some point. It was fun to get into the game again, mostly for nostalgia reasons, but it was kind of a chunky experience. It's got that late 2000's feeling of lots of systems that don't have a whole lot to do with each other and aren't integrated with each other that well.

I sold my original Ticket To Ride years and years ago, then we ended up borrowing a heavily-used copy from a friend in the Philippines. Then lockdown started, they moved back to the US, and they told us to just keep it. I play it online when I play TTR, but it's a fun game to have on hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Virabhadra

More
29 Jun 2022 17:44 - 29 Jun 2022 17:53 #333958 by Cranberries
Someone is selling DoA II but wants $50 in shipping. Ugh. Are you in Kenya right now? How is that going?

So there's a new Duel of Ages-ish game coming out:

Worldspanner Factions is the grand successor to the Duel of Ages series of games. A combination of tactical RPG and adventure, Factions carries on the tradition of intensity and uniqueness. Two decades have proven that you've never played a game like this.

Two teams of heroes from past, present, and future descend into the Worldspanner Arena and compete to earn the most glory by acts of renown--and by facing down the enemy. Earn the alliance of one of the six factions, or the queen mother of the Games. For 2-8 players who divide into two teams. In effect, a co-op game with excellent opponent AI (unless your friends dump-statted INT).

The teams take turns, conducting an action with each hero--move, attack, unleash a minion. This is followed by reactions from the opposing team, after which the current team conducts adventures. Play continues for 9 or 12 turns, after which objective points are tallied. Most objective points are earned from non-combat activities such as alliances with the different factions.

Contains 48 heroes, 90 treasures and a selection of map pieces, making each play is different--new teams gathering new treasure on a completely new map. Expansions bring both the treasure count and the hero count up to 360--The Full Degree.

With a ruleset significantly streamlined from Duel of Ages, Factions has half the rules word count of Duel of Ages I and over a third less than DoA II. Factions is now a game system capable of pulling in a universe of heroes (and their miniatures).
Last edit: 29 Jun 2022 17:53 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
30 Jun 2022 11:53 #333963 by Rliyen

southernman wrote: I've had games in this category and from them even some that I have bought again (and possibly sold again) but I'm like a few others here and have sold literally hundreds and hundreds in the last 15+ years so trying to remember any is an effort :unsure:. A lot of them were sold about 8 years ago when my gaming groups weren't that interesting and life wasn't that happy so I just dumped games in case I was going to move on.

I think Blockmania (and expansion) because it will never be reprinted but it wasn't a great game and I didn't play it much (but it is in serious risk of being bought back if I see the right one), Heroscape sets (I should have known I'd have periods where I'd want to play with plastic figure and dice again), Lords of the Sierra Madre because it is such a strange game and there always could be a planetary alignment that would allow me to play it, just sold Mare Nostrum + Exp because I never had enough people to play it (I a already starting to regret it), Starcraft + Exp (one that was ditched in the not-happy time).

While games I bought back include Buffy the Vampire Slayer because it is a classic and Earth Reborn because I didn't understand it when I originally had it,

When I don't want a game, I usually end up giving it to The Boy. He currently has my Judge Dredd game and the Block Mania game. We haven't play BM in a while, but when we did play it last, I had another game of my Block collapsing in the opening turns and I just laughed at my poor luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
30 Jun 2022 12:00 #333964 by Rliyen

hotseatgames wrote: I've never done the BGG auction thing so I can't comment on that. I can say that with eBay you can expect them to take 12% plus whatever it costs to ship. They also have policies that can absolutely FUCK you over since they are entirely designed to "protect" the buyer. I got screwed over selling The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 because the buyer was too fucking stupid to realize that the insert was a tight fit by design. Long story. Anyway, proceed with caution and take a LOT of pictures so you can prove there was no damage, etc.

As an aside, send me a PM regarding Assassinorum, I might be interested.

That's the main reason why I stopped using Ebay years ago. The instant that they went to the "Buyer Can Do No Wrong" model, and with the fees, it seemed like a losing proposition. I now mostly trade games anyway and only use the Market to sell my deceased stepfather's baseball game collection on my mother's behalf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, hotseatgames

More
30 Jun 2022 17:04 - 02 Jul 2022 06:28 #333967 by southernman

Virabhadra wrote: I sort of wish I still had Battlelore and Shadows Over Camelot. I haven't played either since they came out and I'd be curious to handle and play them again. Days of Wonder was a poster child for lavish components for a minute there.

I actually got the euro-centric group I play with now and then (less frequently these days due to some of the terrible - to me - games they are into) to play Shadows over Camelot last month (two of the guys both have a copy from nearly 20 years ago) and it went very well, even though the five of them aren't that keen on co-ops at all. In fact, even though we had an agonizing loss due to the required cards just not coming out as we one-by-one were eliminated, they all enjoyed the game ... so I reckon it has aged well.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2022 06:28 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
01 Jul 2022 11:25 #333969 by drewcula
I just sold my painted copy of Earth Reborn. I hope I don't regret it. At this phase in my life, I just could not see myself getting it to the table ever again.
I still 'kind of' regret selling Z'cide Black Plague. Again, not for the game. The hell with that. But the minis. The minis would have been great for the superior game "Rangers of Shadow Deep."

I sold my unopened copy of SJG's Car Wars. Christ o Mighty I couldn't get rid of that fast enough. As soon as it arrived, I had immediate regret. It was doubled a month later when I played a demo of it at a convention. I took a bath on the sale, and that's the PITA lesson for me. Don't get sucked into SJG FOMO. No regrets there, and I don't even know why I'm typing this post.

Oh yeah. I regret selling my old school copy of Dungeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
01 Jul 2022 13:08 #333970 by Shellhead

drewcula wrote: Oh yeah. I regret selling my old school copy of Dungeon!

I can't quite bring myself to sell Dungeon!, even though it has become a dusty toad. I bought a really nice edition from Wizards of the Coast about 10 years ago. The one with great cover art by Michael Komarck. I played it a handful of times in 2012, and then we all lost interest in it due to the simple gameplay and lack of interesting decisions. It would be a great game for a young gamer, but I just can't let go of it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds