October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Vertical or Horizontal?

More
26 Jun 2020 15:49 #311413 by ChristopherMD
In all my years board gaming I've always stored my games horizontally stacked. Yesterday on a whim I stored some vertically and liked how it looked more like how books in the bookcase look. I wonder about warped boards though. I assume they will start to sag in a few months/years especially if they're leaning inside the box. Has this been people's experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2020 16:06 #311414 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Vertical or Horizontal?
We have been storing vertically for about 6 years. Haven't had any board warpage problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
26 Jun 2020 16:16 #311415 by hotseatgames
I store both ways. The shelves of games that actually get played are horizontal, the overflow is vertical. I can't say I do this for any particular reason; maybe I find it easier to see what I want when they are horizontal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 Jun 2020 16:31 #311417 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Vertical or Horizontal?

hotseatgames wrote: I store both ways. The shelves of games that actually get played are horizontal, the overflow is vertical. I can't say I do this for any particular reason; maybe I find it easier to see what I want when they are horizontal.

Also, when you pull out a game that is stored vertically, you have the chance that the contents of the neighboring games will push their boxes open a bit into the empty space and the contents will shift. When you try to put the game you pulled out back on the shelf, you have to shift the contents the neighboring boxes back in place to get them to close up completely so you can get the game back on the shelf. Therefore it makes sense to have your frequently played games stored horizontally as it makes it less of nuisance to put them away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
27 Jun 2020 06:06 #311431 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Vertical or Horizontal?
My neck hurts when the games are stored vertical ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
27 Jun 2020 14:32 - 27 Jun 2020 14:35 #311438 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Vertical or Horizontal?
Proper "bookshelf" game boxes like what Avalon Hill used and GMT still does are properly stored vertically. The boxes are usually deep enough and tight enough they won't open and spill if a neighbor is removed. Square boxed games or thinner boxed ones are horizontal since they can stack easily. Worst are the games with a bad insert that isn't flush fitting or doesn't have a lid of some sort and will spill inside the box if stored vertically. Ugh....

Well, the real worst ones were those old FFG coffin boxes or the monstrosity that is Ogre DE, best stored in it's own room :P

Subquestion: for vertical games, should the text point left or right? Most books are printed such that text will point right (i.e. you tilt to the right to read it) but for a game it doesn't really matter...or does it???
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 14:35 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

More
27 Jun 2020 17:27 #311440 by southernman

jason10mm wrote: Subquestion: for vertical games, should the text point left or right? Most books are printed such that text will point right (i.e. you tilt to the right to read it) but for a game it doesn't really matter...or does it???

Depends which way you can bend your neck with least pain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Jun 2020 06:40 #311453 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Vertical or Horizontal?
Ideally, you would put boardgames horizontally on one shelf each so they don't have games on top. They sell some metal shelves to do that, but most won't go so far.

There are several reasons:

1) Vertical boxes tend to open to the side.
2) Components are harder to store vertically. You need to have the blockier, heavy components down or they'll crush the other pieces.
3) Boxes get worn from moving them in and out a shelf. This is not usually a problem but it can be for heavier boxes, like Terraforming Mars and Cosmic Encounter or games with bad packaging like 1825 . Having them horizontally makes it easier to get them in and out without scratching them or busting their corners.

Sadly, I don't have those metal thingies so mine are vertical. Oh well.

jason10mm wrote: Subquestion: for vertical games, should the text point left or right? Most books are printed such that text will point right (i.e. you tilt to the right to read it) but for a game it doesn't really matter...or does it???

All games I've ever seen point to the same side. (Tilt heard to the right to read). In fact, the same of true of videogames, I've only seen two games that look the other way in my whole life across all platforms.

It's funny because books look wherever they damn please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
28 Jun 2020 07:43 #311454 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Vertical or Horizontal?

Erik Twice wrote: It's funny because books in English and Dutch look wherever they damn please.

FTFY. It's only anecdotal, but my bookshelf contains books in five other languages and the backs of four of them point in the same direction (tilt your head to the left).

More
28 Jun 2020 11:54 #311456 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Vertical or Horizontal?
This will be triggering to some :p

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
28 Jun 2020 17:05 #311461 by southernman
Sending you my Osteopath's bill :pinch:

More
28 Jun 2020 19:03 #311462 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Vertical or Horizontal?

Nodens wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: It's funny because books in English and Dutch look wherever they damn please.

FTFY. It's only anecdotal, but my bookshelf contains books in five other languages and the backs of four of them point in the same direction (tilt your head to the left).

Looking at my shelf, I see both sides in English, French and Spanish. I also have a couple German books and they all have a left-tilt but I don't think those count.

Annoyingly, my Lord of the Rings book look the same at first glance, but they are all different printings from the same editorial. They have different styles, The Two Towers looks the other way and has red lettering instead of black. Oh no!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds