October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Time to purge expansion boxes

More
04 Dec 2020 01:45 #316831 by Disgustipater
I’ve always held onto the boxes for expansions when I move the components to the main box. Maybe a little bit for potential resale (though who sells that stuff separately?), but mostly just because of my completist tendencies. I don’t know why, but today I glanced at the several shelves of empty boxes and just decided that it all needs to go. I mean, I still have the big expansion boxes from BSG. The original Pandemic On The Brink box from when it was new. What a colossal waste of space.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2020 05:09 #316832 by mezike
I tend to keep them in attic storage for a few months as I have the space and it can help move a resale on more quickly. Some people are funny about things like boxes and there's no need to limit the market unnecessarily. I regularly get rid of stuff that is either played out or not gathering any interest so I don't want to chuck stuff out until I'm sure it's got the legs to stay around for a while, but at that point I recycle the unused boxes. In some cases the entire game fits into the smaller expansion box in which case I ditch the base box instead.

I've also found that a lot of expansion content is a misfire because it alters what makes a game so attractive in the first place so I have indeed been in the habit of selling just expansions on their own. For example, right now I think I'm going to get rid of the Riverfolk from Root and maybe even the Underworld too because quite frankly the base game was perfectly formed and doesn't need all this extra stuff (other than the Partisan deck which we find more fun than the base game cards).

More
04 Dec 2020 08:01 #316834 by WadeMonnig
Once I decide an expansion is a keeper, I purge the expansion box. Literally starting doing this when writing about expansions with Marc on here, as some expansions i thought would never fit in the base box but ended up doing so quite well. No regrets so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
04 Dec 2020 08:21 #316835 by hotseatgames
I toss whatever I can and never look back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, WadeMonnig

More
04 Dec 2020 09:25 #316836 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Time to purge expansion boxes
I had a guy try to talk me down on my Wiz-War set because I didn't have the expansion boxes and it wouldn't have resale value. He probably would've complained if I'd charged him extra for shipping three boxes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
04 Dec 2020 10:09 #316838 by southernman

Disgustipater wrote: I’ve always held onto the boxes for expansions when I move the components to the main box. Maybe a little bit for potential resale (though who sells that stuff separately?), but mostly just because of my completist tendencies. I don’t know why, but today I glanced at the several shelves of empty boxes and just decided that it all needs to go. I mean, I still have the big expansion boxes from BSG. The original Pandemic On The Brink box from when it was new. What a colossal waste of space.

Don't dump the BSG expansion boxes if you think you will ever sell it - while all of BSG is in massive (expensive) demand you will likely get more selling them individually as people build up their already existing game (plus you will actually be helping people by letting more people buy just the expansions they want rather than someone just gets a big bundle whether they want all of it or not ... from experience as a buyer :( ).

But you are braver than me throwing away boxes ...[mustn't think about it]

More
04 Dec 2020 10:09 #316839 by Shellhead
I keep all of my expansion boxes, even the ones that I don't intend to ever sell. I keep them in a storage box, as a box of boxes. I am fifteen years older than my girlfriend, and I don't have any illusions that she will want to keep most of my collections when I die, so I want to make it easier for her to sell things at that point. My big 2021 goal is to get rid of a lot of stuff that I've been hording for too long, ranging from essays that I wrote in high school to obsolete textbooks to clothes that I never want to wear again. I have room to store all these things, and occasionally I will want to retrieve an old item that I can use again, but the overall number of boxes makes it a huge hassle to find things. After the 2021 purge, I plan to gradually give away, sell, donate, recycle, or toss at least one more box of possessions every year, streamlining my life. I will also work on cataloging all of my collections and periodically updating the potential resale value, so my girlfriend can more easily clear things out and make some money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman

More
04 Dec 2020 11:22 #316850 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Time to purge expansion boxes
I keep them... if the stuff doesn't fit in the original box. Lookin at my shelves I have
ARKHAM HORROR, DUNWICH HORROR, and INNSMOUTH HORROR boxes holding all the small boxes, along with KINGSPORT and MISKATONIC large box expansions. It it tight, but mostly because of the Plano box in there holding all the bits.
MARVEL CHAMPIONS: RISE OF RED SKULL has to stick around because I can't cram any more into the default box without taking out the organizer, and the organizer is helping a lot.
CLASH OF CULTURES: CIVILIZATIONS is still in shrink. I should sell this, right? It's like half an Xbox?
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
04 Dec 2020 11:39 #316851 by Shellhead
For Arkham Horror 2nd edition, I use all five of the big boxes to store the game. If I tossed the inserts, I could probably get it all down to 2 big boxes, but I don't normally take the game anywhere anymore, since it requires a big table and a lengthy setup time. And using the five boxes makes it easier to keep the components sorted.

I have most of the FFG Cosmic Encounter expansions, but I tote the game around in just the base game box plus one expansion box to hold all the aliens. Camp Grizzly's base set box with the insert just barely fits everything including the expansions, and I really should toss the awkward retail hanger containers for the expansions. Coma Ward may be a mental institution ripoff of Betrayal at House on the Hill, but I really appreciate that the base set box and insert were designed to hold the expansions.

More
04 Dec 2020 13:20 #316854 by Disgustipater
I do get what you guys are saying about the potential for selling expansions separately. After letting it sit for a day, I think I’ll still get rid of a lot of them, but I’ll be a bit judicious on which ones I toss. Maybe I should sell off BSG entirely. I haven’t played it for a minimum of five years and I think both my group and I have moved on. Maybe now is a good time to seriously evaluate the stuff I wont realistically play again.

More
04 Dec 2020 14:08 #316855 by jason10mm
I dumped my expansion boxes years ago. When I sell it is all or nothing.

Though I did think long and hard about making wall art out of those Arkham Horror square boxes, those illustrations were dope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
04 Dec 2020 14:32 #316856 by Disgustipater
I’ll definitely keep the Horned Rat box for CitOW and the BB:TM expansions since those are highly sought after. I’m using most of the Arkham Horror 2nd boxes for other games, so I’ll hold onto those as well. Have to go through everything else this weekend.

More
04 Dec 2020 16:59 #316859 by mtagge

jason10mm wrote: I dumped my expansion boxes years ago. When I sell it is all or nothing.

Though I did think long and hard about making wall art out of those Arkham Horror square boxes, those illustrations were dope.

This is the route I'm going.

Gonna have one Star Wars wall (imperial assault boxes) and one AH wall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
07 Dec 2020 07:11 #316889 by Erik Twice
I've kept all my expansion boxes so far, with the exception of LCG packs.

I often end up putting the expansion boxes inside the actual box to keep things in order. For example, I use the Terraforming Mars boxes to store the cards and the expansion boxes from Cosmic Encounter store the alien cards. The shallow expansion boxes from Netrunner keep the pieces of Roads & Boats together.

Truth to be told, I like the collecting aspect of game boxes and I hesitate to throw them away. Too many "worthless" videogame cardboard boxes thrown away for me to feel comfortable doing it. And since I haven't had to buy any pointlessly huge expansion packs, it hasn't been an issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds