October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2690 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Tabletop game reviews enjoyed lately thread

More
16 Feb 2022 13:36 #330817 by Sagrilarus
I skipped to the end when he introduced Homeland. It's a good piece, but an editor would have helped him out on this one.

I was pleased to see him expand that scope of the thematic element to doubters and queers as well, even if just in passing because I think there are plenty of people that see themselves in the position of cylons fully within American (and other) cultures. Though BSG came out after 9/11, it struck chords that have been in our cultures for years, just not well considered.

I did read the final paragraphs which brought it back to Unfathomable. Truth be told, the game was made because there was a market for it. Poorly executed, the goal was to sell a package with as small an overhead as possible, and Lovecraft's misfitted theme could be wedged in at no charge to serve the purpose. As with Rexx before it, players of the original game could shake their head and say "that doesn't look right" while new people hooted with excitement. Sales made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2022 15:58 #330826 by sornars

Sagrilarus wrote: It's a good piece, but an editor would have helped him out on this one

I kind of feel that way about a lot of his work.

re: last six months, I agree. His stuff on Root is clearly exciting him but I find it a bit too much and have very little interest in any further continuation of that series. I won’t complain too much as very few reviewers/critics are even trying to be ambitious in the board game review space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Feb 2022 16:21 #330827 by Sagrilarus
I have not read one word of his stuff on Root. Tried the game twice, hope to never play again. Somehow I completely missed getting on that train.

More
16 Feb 2022 16:43 #330828 by Gary Sax
He's definitely at his best, by far, when his pieces are anchored by an explicit game review or something specific and mechanical about a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
06 Jun 2022 17:32 #333499 by Gary Sax
playerelimination.com/2022/06/06/once-mo...ic-explorers-review/

I ultimately decided not to back this one a few years ago, but it's nice that it's still resonating with Charlest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest

More
15 Jun 2022 09:00 #333728 by Gary Sax
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, charlest

More
16 Jun 2022 23:04 #333756 by DarthJoJo

Gary Sax wrote: playerelimination.com/2022/06/15/a-crescent-moon-review/

Traditional review but among his best!

But why not compare it to the one game the designer cited as inspiration?

More
16 Jun 2022 23:53 - 23 Jun 2022 09:51 #333757 by charlest
I don't think it's actually terribly similar to Chaos in the Old World at all. While his love for that game set him on a creative path, his development process actually broke far away from Lang's design and they bear little resemblance to each other and feel almost nothing alike.

I suppose the paragraph should have been in the review, but my mind wasn't focused on Chaos in the Old World because Crescent Moon is much more similar to Dune and the COIN series.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2022 09:51 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
23 Jun 2022 09:53 #333864 by charlest
Yesterday, my first article for IGN went up, a review of the solid deckbuilder/tactical miniature hybrid Ascension Tactics: www.ign.com/articles/ascension-tactics-d...es-board-game-review

Today, my review of one of the best games of 2022 thus far - Return to Dark Tower - is up at Polygon: www.polygon.com/reviews/23171216/return-...er-board-game-review
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike, drewcula, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
23 Jun 2022 23:34 #333879 by Gary Sax
Been super happy to see the outlets you write in increase prestige-wise.

On a real talk question, did you find that doing your site/blog reviews consistently helped give bigger outlets a better sense of your work? I always wonder if toiling away at your own stuff ends up helping or if it really is all about the little opportunities you take advantage of in spaces with more eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, charlest

More
24 Jun 2022 08:26 - 24 Jun 2022 08:29 #333881 by charlest
Thanks, that means a lot to hear.

Honestly, I think it's the latter. Should be more about hard work, but like most things in life, luck and opportunity are needed.

The main catalyst was Teri Litorco. I recruited her for the Review Corner at Miniature Market and she later pulled me in to write for Geek & Sundry.

Writing for Geek & Sundry was not a great experience. The editor at the time was fantastic and still offers occasional positivity on social media for my writing, but it was a low paying gig with a lot of work. It also went downhill after a year or two with many people above the writers being laid off, which totally wrecked any direction and the process.

However, I was able to use that to leverage work at Tabletop Gaming Magazine (which is the longest I've ever written for any outlet, as I still contribute there monthly). My Geek & Sundry experience is also probably the only reason Nate Anderson at Ars Technica gave me a chance.

Then I got in at PCGamer due to my Ars experience, although that lasted a single review (Western Legends) before they stopped utilizing freelancers.

But I pursued Polygon for years. I messaged Charlie Hall a few times, I think as early as 2017. He followed me on Twitter sometime there and I believe he'd occasionally read my reviews, despite telling me he couldn't take any freelance work.

Eventually they were looking to expand board game coverage and he reached out to me.

IGN came about as their editor reached out to someone I know, and they passed my details along.

I'm very thankful for all of this, but as you know, I'd much rather write something like my Crescent Moon or Rocky Mountain Man reviews. I don't see that ever changing.

Also, apologies for posting those two reviews above in this thread, I meant to post in the "What are you WRITING" thread.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2022 08:29 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars, Kmann

More
24 Jun 2022 08:30 #333882 by hotseatgames
Charlie’s Ascension Tactics review had my finger hovering over the Buy button but I resisted. I don’t think I have the right opponent for it. I’d love to play that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, Ah_Pook

More
24 Jun 2022 08:39 #333883 by charlest
You shouldn't watch it Mark (I fully endorse buying less and resisting, despite being a reviewer), but anyone desiring a video review of Ascension Tactics should watch Joel Eddy's review.

More
24 Jun 2022 11:00 #333885 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote: Charlie’s Ascension Tactics review had my finger hovering over the Buy button but I resisted. I don’t think I have the right opponent for it. I’d love to play that one.

A friend of mine is one of the designers on that game, you should buy it ;) it's really fun!

More
24 Jun 2022 11:03 #333886 by hotseatgames
If that was enough, I'd already have bought it, as I know Justin Gary.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds