October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What TOADS are you SHELVING?

More
03 May 2021 13:06 #322823 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?

Shellhead wrote: You're right, Barnes. Shelf toads endure due to nostalgia. In recent times, I have taken a hard look at my collection, to determine what I should sell or give away. The crucial criteria has been asking and answering "Who will play this game with me, and how often might that realistically happen?"

One obvious toad based on those questions is Twilight Imperium 3rd. Nearly 100% of my friends won't play it. Some tried it and didn't like it. Most lack the patience for a long game. It will only get played if I acquire several new friends who are all willing to try it and also haven't moved on to Twilight Imperium 4th.

Along the same lines, any solitaire game that has become a toad need to go immediately. The usual problem with a shelf toad is that nobody wants to play it. But if even the game owner doesn't want to play solo, during an epidemic, that's more of a dead toad than a shelf toad.

Mike- I'd love to spend a day playing Twilight Imperium or some other game. Now that I am fully vaccinated, I have been thinking of trying to get some gaming started again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2021 13:31 #322824 by Shellhead

edulis wrote:

Shellhead wrote: You're right, Barnes. Shelf toads endure due to nostalgia. In recent times, I have taken a hard look at my collection, to determine what I should sell or give away. The crucial criteria has been asking and answering "Who will play this game with me, and how often might that realistically happen?"

One obvious toad based on those questions is Twilight Imperium 3rd. Nearly 100% of my friends won't play it. Some tried it and didn't like it. Most lack the patience for a long game. It will only get played if I acquire several new friends who are all willing to try it and also haven't moved on to Twilight Imperium 4th.

Along the same lines, any solitaire game that has become a toad need to go immediately. The usual problem with a shelf toad is that nobody wants to play it. But if even the game owner doesn't want to play solo, during an epidemic, that's more of a dead toad than a shelf toad.

Mike- I'd love to spend a day playing Twilight Imperium or some other game. Now that I am fully vaccinated, I have been thinking of trying to get some gaming started again.

I would be up for it. I got my second shot on 4/17, so I reached maximum protection as of 5/01.

More
10 Aug 2021 16:28 #325411 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?
Got a text message (and attached photo) from my sister. Apparently my 8 and 5 year old nephews unearthed a few Summoner Wars factions I had gifted to their dad about a decade ago. And they love it! Exact quote from the younger one is that he “likes it one percent less than Pokemon.” Next time I see them I’m gonna let them have my old collection and see if their heads explode at the prospect of 30 some odd decks.

Seems like one of the best fates for that toad.

More
10 Aug 2021 16:31 #325413 by Gary Sax
Dude now that is a great feeling on a final resting place for an old, very loved game, even if it doesn't end up being like their forever game or whatever.

More
10 Aug 2021 18:26 #325416 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?
Accidentally bought Root... will be interesting to see if the Kid takes to it or not, because that's where the plays will be.

More
10 Aug 2021 18:44 #325420 by Dr. Mabuse

mc wrote: Accidentally bought Root... will be interesting to see if the Kid takes to it or not, because that's where the plays will be.

Auto-Toad: John Company 2nd edition. And it hasn't been released yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries, sornars, cdennett

More
10 Aug 2021 19:25 #325424 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?
Heh. I got Pamir on the way too.

(That reminds me, our game has stalled, I think it might be your turn?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
10 Aug 2021 19:41 #325425 by Sagrilarus

mc wrote: Root...

Bury it. It won’t grow back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
11 Aug 2021 01:28 #325432 by Dr. Mabuse

mc wrote: Heh. I got Pamir on the way too.

(That reminds me, our game has stalled, I think it might be your turn?)

Crap, really? I have a look tomorrow.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds