October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Anyone here on Board Game Arena?tr

More
24 Jan 2022 12:45 #330045 by Legomancer
I created a Google Document for BGA games. You can add a column for yourself (I put my BGA username under my name), games you're interested in (or not), etc. I didn't include all the games because I started this before I got the idea to share with others, but feel free to add games to the list.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ou6r_OwS...-YQ/edit?usp=sharing

I'm sharing this with another group as well, so don't add your social security number or bank card PIN.

I need to mark which games are Premier or whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2022 13:08 #330049 by Gary Sax
Oh, that sounds good! I might not to get to the rules till later this week so I'll be very slow until then.

More
25 Jan 2022 17:05 #330126 by Gregarius

Gary Sax wrote: Oh, that sounds good! I might not to get to the rules till later this week so I'll be very slow until then.

Me, too.
I had a video all queued up and then work got in the way.

More
27 Jan 2022 10:49 #330167 by Legomancer
I went Premium. I'm close to being able to get a custom avatar (20 games) so invite me to stuff.

More
27 Jan 2022 12:31 #330174 by Sagrilarus
Take a shot at For Ex. You have to play at least three times to get it, but once you do it’s pretty doggone interesting.

Invite six people.

More
31 Jan 2022 10:58 #330293 by Legomancer
I started to add every game in the geeklist below to the group spreadsheet but then it got too crowded with weirdo games so I deleted a bunch. still a lot got added. as always, feel free to add games on BGA that you're interested in. periodically I may clear out games that no one's shown an interest in ("interest" = has indicated something other than "UGH")

geeklist of games: boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/252354/list-games-board-game-arena

spreadsheet of interest: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ou6r_OwS...ANxjy0-YQ/edit#gid=0

More
01 Feb 2022 14:53 - 01 Feb 2022 15:01 #330332 by Ah_Pook
GG Jake, Matt and Dysjunct :) Dys I'm curious why you resigned so early, you didn't seem in that bad a shape comparatively. It was a close race for second that came down to the impacts. Came down to a 4pt difference. Regrettably Y'all got strong enough that I didn't get to kingmake with aggressions at the end :laugh:
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 15:01 by Ah_Pook.

More
01 Feb 2022 16:55 #330337 by dysjunct
After not being able to defend against four aggressions, it seemed pointless to continue. And it was age 3, not early in my book. GG.

More
03 Feb 2022 17:25 #330399 by RobertB
How are we working announcing games that we start? I'm tempted to go Premium and start up another Railways game, since my ass in the current TWBG one is pretty well kicked.

More
04 Feb 2022 08:26 #330416 by Legomancer
There's a TWBG group, but I don't know if that allows you to send messages to the group. I am always up for just about anything, though I may need to read up on rules. I'm in front of the computer unsupervised every weekday so although I'm async, I usually play a lot of turns during the day.

Up for Railways of the World.

More
07 Feb 2022 18:47 #330530 by quozl

Sagrilarus wrote: There is a group called There_Will_Be_Games on BGA. Makes it easier to find people. It's invite only, just let me know what your ID is and I'll set you up.

For those of you who like to shoot at each other, there are two wargames on BGA, Unconditional Surrender which I haven't played, and Talon, which I've played plenty. The Talon implementation is in Alpha, but fully playable.

I'm interested in learning those two.

More
08 Feb 2022 14:52 #330579 by Legomancer
Couple things:
Just finished a Rallyman GT game with GT5s, 2 laps. I had two flat outs and my opponents did not, so I got way ahead. For the rest of the game I was impossible to catch, as I had good die rolls and plenty of focus tokens. Is that just the way it is? Is there something that helps mitigate that?

Second, I'd love to play Rallyman, Gaia Project, Railways, El Grande, or most other things. Let me know who's interested in doing any of that.

More
08 Feb 2022 15:26 - 08 Feb 2022 15:27 #330582 by charlest
I'd get in on more Rallyman (charlest there), just finished a game with Dysjunct/Casual casual/Sag.

While the past two BGA plays haven't gone this way, my real life plays have seen people catch up when behind. You have to start taking more risks to makeup ground, but usually it's not a lopsided affair. I've mostly played three and four player.

I've also played most GT6 in person, in which case it is more possible to make up ground as the cars are capable of moving 8 total spaces in a turn.

With that being said, Dysjunct has crushed us online. I can't seem to avoid wiping out in the first third of the race.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2022 15:27 by charlest.

More
08 Feb 2022 15:44 #330583 by Sagrilarus
Dysjunct always crushes us online. So clearly skill matters.

More
08 Feb 2022 21:34 - 08 Feb 2022 21:40 #330600 by dysjunct
I’d like to thank the Academy.

That dynamic about Rallyman is kind of the only thing I don’t like about it, although it probably does mirror real racing pretty well. Once you are in the lead, you should play it safe. If you’re not in the lead, you must take more risks to catch up, but this increases the chance that you’ll crash and fall further behind. But the focus system exacerbates this, reducing the risks you have to take while in the lead.

So, building up a lot of focus in the beginning is important. But you don’t want to take yourself out of the running. I almost never go flat out unless I can potentially re-lay my dice so that I lose control in 1st or 2nd gear. This spins you out, and you will go last next turn, but that is not always a big deal. Crashing in 3+ makes you lose a turn, which is an almost guaranteed loss.

There’s a couple of patterns you should know:
2RR, 1, W, W, 3G, 4, 5
3R, 1R, W, W, 2, 4G, 5

Letters refer to the colors of dice. Both those patterns let you start from 5th gear, and finish your move in 5th gear so you’ll go first. The first pattern is better (you do the riskier roll first and get it out of the way) but sometimes you need the second, in case you need to navigate around part of the track where the first would make you spin out.

Sometimes you need to move the 5 up front, e.g.:

5, 2RR, 1, W, W, 3G, 4
5, 3R, 1R, W, W, 2, 4G

Those are even less optimal though, as someone behind you might start in 5th and be able to pass you. Or worse, pass you and then block you in a post-corner double space (see below).

Another trick: let’s say you are player 3. Players 1 and 2 have made it to the corner but spun out, completely blocking both the inside and outside of the curve. If you go right up to the curve in any gear, you’ll go first next turn and be forced to skip your turn. The answer is to end your move in 1st gear and make a pit stop, changing your tires. (Even if you “change” them to the ones you already have.) This puts you in “0” gear and then you go after the blockers, and don’t lose a turn.

Another one is to keep an eye on the double-length spaces after the corners. Those can be used to block everyone behind you. E.g. a corner with max speed 1, followed by a double space. You hit the corner at 1, then put 3G into the normal-length space, then moving laterally into the double space with 4. You are impossible to pass according to the rules of the game, because the rear of the double space is aligned with the single space, so moving into there requires someone to be going at least your speed (4). But they can’t go from 1 (max speed in the corner) to 4, even with a green die.

A little gamey, but you gotta dance with them what brung ya. It’s a fun game. I mostly get crushed when I play arena, so I ain’t all that.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2022 21:40 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Legomancer, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds